Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Grr Trains!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Why is it that a return for the same day and departing is cheaper than say going out one day then coming back the next.

From Cambridge to Stevenage returning in the same day its about £6 but if say i went to Stevenage on Friday and wanted to come back on Sat it'd be about £13.... why is it so much more for a different day?

Also if anyone can recommend me any good cheap train ticket sites, i'd be truely grateful :heart:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Train tickets are the same price wherever you buy them, but nationalexpresseastcoast will give you 10% discount on THEIR tickets (and Nat Ex East Anglia) when you buy online. Cheap day returns (or whatever they are called now) are exactly that, cheap DAY returns, rather than an open return which is valid for a month. Or something, they keep changing it so I'm never sure really.
  • Options
    would 2 singles be cheaper?
  • Options
    It's £13, it's hardly bank breaking.
  • Options
    Yea i know i was just wondering why its more on a different day
    2 singles add up to £13 anyway so thats out, me just being the skin flint that i am always for look for the cheapest option
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    but nationalexpresseastcoast will give you 10% discount on THEIR tickets (and Nat Ex East Anglia) when you buy online.

Not anymore, stingy bastards.

Day returns were artifically pegged back to be 5p or 10p more than the day single back in the 1980's which is why period returns are a lot more than day returns.

Cambridge to Stevenage has no cheap/advance fares anyway so there isn't much that can be done to save money, unless you get/have a railcard.
  • Options
    Yea the prices i got are already with a railcard, i was just confused as to why it was double the price on a different day... oh well, never mind
  • Options
    Yeah, the day return is artificially cheap rather than the month return artificially expensive.

Here is the full fare matrix for Cambridge - Stevenage with Railcard. minimum fares apply before 10am on Railcards.

cbgsvgfk6.jpg
  • Options
    OH MY GOD WHAT STINGY CUNTS - no 10% discount? SHOCKING.

Btw I am going to write to Cross Country and tell them that we have bought a car and it is ALL THEIR FAULT.
  • Options
    OH MY GOD WHAT STINGY CUNTS - no 10% discount? SHOCKING.

Went in the January fare change, along with a reduced resteraunt service and a cut on standard class catering, add the recent job cuts and you can see that someone can't pay the bills...........