Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Market stalls vs Supermarket?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In your experience or opinion, would you say that the supermarket is cheaper for fruit and veg or market stalls?

Comments

• Options
    I prefer markets/greengrocers as they are better value for money - better quality, it lasts longer, more local produce (usually) and less packaging.
  • Options
    Market stalls. Unless the supermarket is perhaps running a special offer, markets are always cheaper (unless you're buying some fancy stuff from Borough Market, for example).
  • Options
    Leeds markets seems to be more expensive than Tesco, but back at home where it's a twice weekly market the produce is much cheaper and much better quality.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Market stalls. Unless the supermarket is perhaps running a special offer, markets are always cheaper (unless you're buying some fancy stuff from Borough Market, for example).
    Oh, but you know it's good if you buy it from there :p. I hate walking past there on the way to Rich's work, esp when Flour Power is still open. OOF BROWNIES.

Market stalls, I would say, especially if you're wanting value for money rather than just cheapness.
  • Options
    In my neck of the woods the market stalls and greengrocer have much cheaper produce. Plus most of it is seasonal, locally grown and tastes much better.

Shop around, compare prices and produce as some markets can be more expensive than they should be.
  • Options
    I've got a list of fruit and veg i normally buy and their Tesco prices and i'm gonna go down the market tomorow and compare them - just doing everything i can to save money at the moment
  • Options
    Markets def where i live it bus away and if plan get alot its pain lugging it around and hold my daughters hand at same time asda today quite few fruit+veg from 37p 6 oranges too
  • Options
    Leeds markets seems to be more expensive than Tesco

I haven't been for years, but it used to be that the indoor market stalls were crappy and overpriced, but the outdoor market had hidden gems! The one furthest towards the bus station was a fave with the older generations of my family :)
  • Options
    haha I never venture down that far! The ones inside are definitely overprice and poor quality. One thing that made me cross as well was when I wanted to buy some of their really nice looking new potatoes that were on display, only to be handed a bag of manky ones from under the counter. probably not good enough to be on display :rolleyes:. It's never very good quality really.
  • Options
    I wanted to buy some of their really nice looking new potatoes that were on display, only to be handed a bag of manky ones from under the counter

:grump: that's just rude

Actually this thread reminds me of a convo I had at Waitrose a couple of weeks ago:

Me: Hi, I was wondering if you have any Jerusalem artichokes in
    Fruit and veg person: [blank stare] .... eh?
    Me: Jerusalem artichokes, it's a type of vegetable
    Them: So it's an artichoke?
    Me: Umm, it's not really
    Them: (picking up the phone) Did you say they're imported from Jerusalem?
    Me: No they're not, kinda funny, that!
    Them: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    my friend got some jerusalem artichokes in her veg box - she thought they were small bobbly potatoes :D