Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shaving down there... please help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So i've heard a few things about shaving down there that i'd like to clear up.
I heard that you shouldnt shave against the grain cos it causes ingrowing hairs which makes sense and i've had this happen to me quite recently causing horrible spots.
Then I heard that you should shave with the grain, then against whilst holding the skin tight but i thought to myself surely this will cause the same as above???

I need help cos i'm in a bit of a mess, basically the problem is with my "mound" :blush:, i'm fine elsewhere either by shaving or using hair removal cream but using it the other day gave me a horrible reaction where i bled a bit from these spots and am now just red and a bit sore, with no hair gone. (I dont wanna try any other brand of cream since it will probably do the same thing and be a waste of money)

I'm too scared to wax and shaving lately just hasnt worked despite using a new razor, i always end up with a couple of mm's left. I'm gonna wait til the sore redness has gone til i do anything more but can anyone suggest anything i can use to take away the redness and spots and everything to then allow me to shave properly??

(This is quite important for me seeing as i have a date in about a week :naughty:)

Comments

• Options
    I do it with the grain.

Couldn't imagine the pain from doing it against the grain!! ouch
  • Options
    I found that doing it with the grain doesn't achieve much though. You never get a smooth finish. Either way I've vowed never to shave there again - I always, always regret it and end up in a complete mess with rash/ingrown hairs etc. It's waxing from now on for me...until I can afford electrolysis! Waxing isn't that bad I don't think...but then I've only done the bikini line, never the "mound" :lol:
  • Options
    You're right it doesn't achieve the smoothest finish, and needs doing most days.

I want to wax but it would have to be a dodgy brazillian!!

I may attempt it and then trim the "mound" thats left!
  • Options
    Oh but waxing sounds scary!!! Shaving has worked for me before and been fine so i dunno what the problem is this time. I think i'll try another new razor and some exfoliating with a glove and hot water next time - tried that this morning and all the hairs came up quite nice and soft so should be easier to shave.

For the time being i'm gonna keep exfoliating and moisturising each morning and maybe night. What about the redness tho? i dunno what to do or buy to make it go away??
  • Options
    The redness should go away once your skin gets used to it. It's only because you have just started doing it that it will be a little red but after a while there shouldn't be any whatsoever.
  • Options
    The redness came, along with spots, from an allergic reaction to the hair removal cream. I just went to Boots and the girl behind the counter gave me some Hc45 cream, E45 with hydrocortisone, to help with the reaction.

Once it clears up a bit im gonna shave again and til then i'm gonna make sure i keep exfoliating and moisturising as much as possible to stop ingrowing hairs.

Such a palava! :banghead: Just hope it'll be ok by next friday!!!!
  • Options
    You can buy a lotion which you rub in after waxing/shaving and it helps to minimise ingrowing hair. I know you can get it from Boots and Superdrug I just can't remeber the name :chin:
  • Options
    I shave against the grain with a wilkinsons razor - you know the one with the soap block around it? i have found that the best for my skin as it's quite sensitive. i used to have problems with redness etc but my skin is used to shaving now. cream and waxing didnt work for me at all.

are you using a good razor and foam?

also moisturize afterwards.
  • Options
    I've got wilkinson sword xtreme3 beauty razors, they have aloe on them and usually work for me and i also use mens gillette series conditioning gel. When i've used up these razors i'll try and find some sensitive ones.

I wouldnt be so worried about this if i didnt have a date next week, i'm praying this hydrocorstine cream gets rid of the redness
  • Options
    seriously...just wax...ingrown hairs are more painfull than waxing
  • Options
    I use Gilette for Women Satin Care (The Apricot one) it smells delish! lol
    And I use wilkinson sword disposable razors (the pink ones) AND I shave AGAINST the grain lol.
    It was a little uncomfortable the first few times but now it's fine and it's nice and smooth.
    I'd try waxing if I was brave enough lol!
  • Options
    I do it when Im in the bath as the hot water helps to soften the hair and make it easier. I've found adding a few drops of baby oil to the water does help too with the moisturising.
  • Options
    Okay so I still shave down there =D "giggle"

Ideally waxes are so much better! (maybe its possible to go with a friend? or get a friend to do it for you?)

I like to exfoliate the area a little bit in the bath with a wash mit and some cleanser of your choice, and then with it still lathered up I shave against the grain (if there is enough hair there) and then with teh grain, and pulling the skin back tightly to make sure I got all the hair...

The first few times were a little sore like you say, but being gentle and taking your time and making sure you are carefull with the blade will make your body re-act a lot less to this procedure.

I'm gonna go for a wax one day, one day!! I was tempted to do it my self but I dont have the guts :P

Just let your hair grow out a bit, the shorter the hair is the painfuller it tends to be. Work out a routine, like mine is: shave on Saturday(Before I see my bf) and let it grow through-out the week and shave on saturday.... it's usually stubble free for 2 days then starts growing back.. :( sucks that it doesnt last longer!
  • Options
    Yea all that sounds really good, pretty much what i'm gonna start doing. i'm pleased to say that the redness has gone down and i'm thinking of shaving tomorow maybe and then again right before i go to meet this guy. I've also been exfoliating sort of twice a day with a glove and Clean and Clear Exfolitaing Wash that i use and its been really good!

I'm like you, maybe one day i'll suck it up enough to wax but maybe when its less risky if i mess up!
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    You can buy a lotion which you rub in after waxing/shaving and it helps to minimise ingrowing hair. I know you can get it from Boots and Superdrug I just can't remeber the name :chin:

Is it "Nads"? The one in the green bottle? I've got the ingrown hair stuff from that range and it's quite good.
  • Options
    You think shaving the "mound" is hard try being a guy and shaving your balls.

Ouch!
  • Options
    I wax as found it was the best thing for my skin. Shaving just makes me go ouch and creams don't tend to work that well.
    If you do want to stick to shaving then would suggest you swap the blokes gilette stuff for the women's as any time i've used blokes gel for shaving, even on my legs, it's just isn't as gentle. I use the gilette satin care range too, you can get them from Wilkos for cheaper than most other places.
  • Options
    1andonly wrote: »
    Is it "Nads"? The one in the green bottle? I've got the ingrown hair stuff from that range and it's quite good.

I think it's that it sounds right and is in a green bottle :yes:
    My sisters swear by it!
  • Options
    Why dont u try bikini razors?

In the uk the only place i have ever seen them is in body care but there fab, no redness no ingrowing hairs etc