Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Depression...again (sorry)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there have been lots of threads on this and I know depression varies from person to person, but I've started to wonder if I might have it and wanted to ask your opinions.

Basically lately (by lately I mean for the past several weeks or so) I've been struggling with feeling quite low and sad along with some other problems which I'll go into in a minute. I went to the doctor a while back because I've had a long term problem with panic attacks, they did a blood test in case it was linked to thyroid problems but that came back all clear, I've since been put on the waiting list for counselling but that was about 3 months ago and in that time my mood/stress levels seem to be getting worse. I feel very down and sad a lot of the time, particularly at the moment I feel on the edge of tears for large parts of the day (and it's not hormonal). I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings - I hate coming to work and sometimes cry in the car on my journey in because I can't face it. I feel I don't have much to look forward to at the moment - my mum recently emigrated, I've been having problems with my boyfriend and added to the hatred of my job everything just seems overwhelming at the moment. I seem to have to force myself to do things outside work too. I feel too tired to motivate myself and can't face seeing some of my friends, particularly the more needy/clingy ones (I know that sounds horrible) because they will just irritate me or make me feel worse because I don't really have anything to feel this rubbish about! The stuff that has caused my panic attacks in the past is on my mind more than ever and I seem to either be thinking about that constantly or worrying and stressing about work. This is all having an effect on my relationship (which isn't the best right now anyway) because I'm moody and low and have completely gone off sex.

God, that's such a whinge - sorry to anyone reading and wishing they hadn't bothered. I guess I'm just worried that this is all just me being pathetic rather than anything actually properly wrong. I don't want to bother the doctor with something that's probably just me being lazy and a grumpy cow...I've thought about ringing them to ask what's going on with the counselling, but I know there's a huge waiting list and most of those people have probably got far more need for it than me...it's just I've seen some stuff about depression lately and just realised I ticked quite a few of the boxes. I just don't know what to do about it :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry to hear about all of that. It sounds really hard.

It would be a good idea to chase up counselling if it would help you. You could also get some AD's from the doctors.

I hope things pick up for you.
    Hope things get better.
    Thank you guys. I'm sure they will. I'm just tired of feeling blue all the time.
    Yeah I know the feeling.
    Hi 'StupidGirl' :wave:

As the people in this thread have said, it sound's like things are hard for you at the moment and that you have a few things happening at once.

If you feel that you tick a few of the depression boxes, it's important that you speak to your Doctor. You are not 'bothering;' them, it is their job to help you and suggest some therapies or treatment if it is needed. As 'Johnnyboy' also suggested, it may be a good idea to chase up the counselling sessions and see what is happening with them.

You may also find it useful to look at The site's depression and panic attacks factsheets?

How would it feel to talk to someone you trust and that you are close to - a friend or parent? Or perhaps you could talk to someone confidentially at the Samartians? (08457 90 90 90)

You may also find it useful to look at, use and post on The site's 'Sex and Relationships' and 'Work and Study' pages to help you deal with some of the other issues you have spoken about?

Keep posting and let us know how you get on :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Definately worth seeking advice from you GP. There are plenty of ways of combatting low feelings and depression and your GP can put you in the right direction. Whether that be therapy, medication or just a change in lifestyle.

You ever considered hypnotherapy for your panic attacks. It sorted my sister out and she used to get them quite bad.

You could also get some AD's from the doctors.

Not really great initial advice is it.
    Weekender Offender 
    Thanks all for your replies. I know I should just ring the doctor - it's just last time the one I had was a bit weird and made me very uncomfortable so I'm reluctant in case I get him again. I'll definitely try to do it sometime soon though - kept waking up feeling completely overwhelmed with everything churning over in my mind last night, it's doing my head in.

ETA: Skive, no I hadn't thought of hypnotherapy. Can you give me any more details about it? I'm quite interested to know how long it took, how much it cost, how long your sister had been having the panic attacks etc...if you don't mind telling me.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote: »

Not really great initial advice is it.

I know where you're coming from but think that's a little harsh. He did say 'you could' not 'you should' and although ADs aren't great for everyone and should never be assumed, lots of people benefit from taking them even if it's just very short term.
    Well I just rang the doctors and was told the waiting list is 16 weeks...so I have at least another month to wait because I think it was about 3 months or so ago I got referred. Could even have been less time than that to be honest. I feel a bit shit after hearing that. I've called the Samaritans in the past and they helped at the time (it was about a different issue), but I'm not sure how much of a long-term solution they're going to be. I'll have a look at TheSite's factsheets...just feel like I've run out of places to turn really. I don't want to keep going on to my boyfriend about it, he's had me whinging at him long enough and there's really no-one else I can speak to.
    Hey,

I'm sorry you feel gutted about the remaining weeks you have left to wait for the counsellor. Even though the Samaritans are not a long term solution for you, they may help you to get through the next few weeks until you can see your counsellor face to face?

We are all really pleased that you have turned to Thesite for advice and support, that's what we are here for. So, please keep posting and let us know how things are for you. Hang in there.

:wave:
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from but think that's a little harsh. He did say 'you could' not 'you should' and although ADs aren't great for everyone and should never be assumed, lots of people benefit from taking them even if it's just very short term.

Well I disagree.

Without even going into how effective they really are and how many people really benifit.

These are drugs that carry serious risks and side effects, and should be the last line of treatment in depression - something the OP doesn't even know if she has yet. It's not something to casually suggest. If somebody goes to the doctors with the express wish of getting some SSRI's they'll most likely get them and they're notoriously hard to come off of.

I just don't think it's something that should be suggested to somebdy who hasn't even been to see their GP yet.
    Weekender Offender 
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    ETA: Skive, no I hadn't thought of hypnotherapy. Can you give me any more details about it? I'm quite interested to know how long it took, how much it cost, how long your sister had been having the panic attacks etc...if you don't mind telling me.

I will try and find out for you.

I know my sister had been suffering panic attacks for years and although it wasn't the quick fix you'd hope for, but she definately it's the only thing that truely helped her overcome her problem. I'm sure it doesn't work for everybody though.

It's a shame we used to have a hypnotherapist post on the boards.
    Weekender Offender 
    Hi hun hope you feel better soon if you can help it don't go on A.d they help there easily addictive and hard to come off hopefully when you start talking you'll feel better let us know x:wave: :heart:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote: »

I just don't think it's something that should be suggested to somebdy who hasn't even been to see their GP yet.

Sure, makes sense - I guess if you'd explained it like this in your first reply then I wouldn't have even thought twice about it.
    I've had depression for about 5 years.
    I've been having CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy) which hasn't been helpful- but everyone is different.
    Write down how you feel, speak to a doctor, ask to have councelling, ask for an assessment. School/college councellors can be helpful, connexions has councellors, local youth centers might have a councellor too.
    You really should nag at these people to get the help you want/need.

Good luck
    Cheers :) I'm 27 so the days of school/college counsellors are long gone, but I appreciate the reply anyway. I actually got a call from the counsellor yesterday who said she'd seen the note they'd put on her file after I called the docs the other day - and she said I'm next on the list. So I have an appointment the Thursday after next. I'll let you know how I get on - she sounded lovely, so fingers crossed it'll be a start.