Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Warmest Coats

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the warmest kind of coat you can get?

Like make, design or material?

It seems to be getting colder each year and the coat I currently have isn't as warm as it used to be. I used to be able to go out in winter with just a T-Shirt on and this coat and not feel the cold at all but now I think I need something that will keep the cold away even more.

Seen Ski Jackets, etc that are made with Thinsulate, are they any good?

Or what about wool, etc?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Found this kind of thing - are these kind of Jackets good at keeping the cold out?

mens-zhico-down-feel-winter-jacket-2017.jpg
    http://www.columbia.com/ Warmest, best coats ever. They keep me from freezing to death in the -40 degree winters :p
    http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Columbia.html

Nearly everybody in my family has worn columbias for as long as I can remember cuz they are so awesome :p
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    North Face, Helly Hansen etc etc

Generally filled with goose down.

eg http://www2.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=AP&model=AAKF
    Weekender Offender 
    Yep I'd agree with that. Best sort of thing is going to be your mountain wear / arctic gear. Not the cheapest stuff in existance though. And probably designed for colder temps than we actually get here.

As Manda shows, our winter temps are pretty mild.
    Or just get a Ski jacket.
    Sailing jackets are good too. Henri Lloyd, Musto, etc,
    Then there the Ski jackets.
    Coats for extreme sporting conditions bassically.

More affordable than the polar jackets which are really over the top and not practical for the UK anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
    This winter is certainly colder than average, but I'd say that our English winters are generally milder than mid 90s. We've certainly lost our seasons in the 2007/8 years, and I'm hoping that this 2009 colder winter means that we get a proper summer again. The last proper summer we had was 2006 - 2007/8 were wash-outs and 2006 was 8 weeks of heatwave.
    I've got a 100% polyester coat and it is pretty warm, the trick really is if it's chilly wear extra layers. I've got -the- warmest fleece in the world, and when it's cold (or I'm wearing a suit) I wear skiing underwear. It's pretty much longjohns :D

thermalcouple1.jpg
    Generally natural fibres are warmer than synthetics. So down-filled jackets with wool layers under are going to keep you as roasty toasty as it gets.

For your purposes, though, pretty much any ski/outdoorsy jacket will be fine, as long as it's windproof and waterproof and has an amount of insulation, it'll be a-ok for a British winter :)
    I got my mister man a cashmere coat with fur lining and that had him warm/hot in about -5 celcius. But only get that if you plan to keep it for years and dont mind dishing out that kind of money. Also as an added bonus, its pretty waterproof!
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It's pretty much longjohns :D

thermalcouple1.jpg

sexy! :D
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I've got a 100% polyester coat and it is pretty warm, the trick really is if it's chilly wear extra layers. I've got -the- warmest fleece in the world, and when it's cold (or I'm wearing a suit) I wear skiing underwear. It's pretty much longjohns :D

thermalcouple1.jpg

Can you see the size of the fire behind them .. no wonder they're warm .. :)
    Amira wrote: »
    I got my mister man a cashmere coat with fur lining and that had him warm/hot in about -5 celcius. But only get that if you plan to keep it for years and dont mind dishing out that kind of money. Also as an added bonus, its pretty waterproof!

A minus it has fur !! I'm guessing fur coats would be very god at keeping out the cold. But don't think I'd wear a coat where the animal was raised and killed specifically for it's fur.
    well, yes there is also that issue...but it does the job and does it better than anything else if it's freezing cold. But, i guess it's not THAT cold in England...especially if you live there all year round and are used to it.
    Fur coats are the way forward...
    I have really bad circulation and I have an expensive coat, made for rough conditions. Yet I at times still feel the cold penetrating into my bones. It gets really bad. I don't like the idea of being covered in dead animal, but I loathe feeling like an ice tap - hence my next winter coat is a fur coat.

That said the good makes for outdoory stuff are definitely worth the money you pay for them.
    I think for most of the really quaity coats that will stop the cold you are going to be looking at shelling out a bit of a wedge, as it'd either be natural fibres or some hi-tech stuff.

Also ideally over here you need it to be waterproof as well as cold-proof. And have a hood. mmm, hood.
    I have a couple of snowboarding jackets that are simply superb. Quite thin, and so practical, and yet toasty warm and gore-tex dry. Winner.
    Another one for snowboarding jackets. Got mine at Lilywhites in Picadilly Circus for £30, they've usually got good deals on. Always keeps me warm and dry, and is light to carry around.

My only bugbear is that there is no wrist pocket in the right hand side of the jacket - would make going through the barriers on the tube a lot easier :D
    I've always loved my sailing jackets. Henri Lloyd and Musto especially.
    Designed for to handle the wet and cold i.e the British climate.

http://www.henrilloyd.com/product_view.asp?prod_id=1464&back_url=product_search.asp&level3_id=1&search=
    Weekender Offender 
    berghaus jackets are the ticket in the cold!

id a lovely toasty warm one last year! (until some cunt stole it at a party! :mad: )
    The latest coat I bought was a North Face Numbskull Ski Jacket
    m_211278_s06_blk.jpg
    http://www.usoutdoorstore.com/outlet/the-north-face-numskull-jacket.html

I love it. A coat is one of the best bit's of kit you can buy.
    Weekender Offender 
    Technically speaking jackets don't make you warmer in themselves (unless they're like electrically heated) - they just have to be good at keeping the cold away and allowing your own body heat to warm yourself up.

Fur coats would trap air which is a good insulator .. ski jackets would be good at keeping the wind and water out

Seen quite a few thinsulate jackets - but mostly ski wear

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ThinsulateInsulation/Insulation/Thinsulate-Products/Thinsulate-Lite-Loft-Insulation/
    DG wrote: »
    Technically speaking jackets don't make you warmer in themselves (unless they're like electrically heated) - they just have to be good at keeping the cold away and allowing your own body heat to warm yourself up.

POTW, for stating the bloody obvious. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    POTW, for stating the bloody obvious. :D

Not really obvious to all actually. If you're the kind of person that is already buying ski and sailing jackets then it might be to you but not to all - The links I gave also help tell people that bigger and thicker jackets aren't always better.
    DG wrote: »
    Not really obvious to all actually. If you're the kind of person that is already buying ski and sailing jackets then it might be to you but not to all - The links I gave also help tell people that bigger and thicker jackets aren't always better.

That clothes actually keep you warm by trapping body heat (rather than supplying their own heat) is a bit obvious I think.
    I just thought it was funny. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    What are North Face like? I'm in need of a new jacket as mine isn't warm enough and the zips are going on it. I see that they are quite expensive (£55+) but are they really worth it? I don't want to buy one only to discover that it's rubbihs and then have to buy another one in a year's time.
    Melian wrote: »
    What are North Face like? I'm in need of a new jacket as mine isn't warm enough and the zips are going on it. I see that they are quite expensive (£55+) but are they really worth it? I don't want to buy one only to discover that it's rubbihs and then have to buy another one in a year's time.

It's a good make.
    Most people round here tend to have either North Face, Musto, HH or Trespass or similar brands. We're not brand monsters either, it just really is because these brands seem to have the quality and last longer than the cheaper makes. Most of us use them for horse riding, outdoor farm work or skiing. My friend's had her Musto jacket for nearly six years now.