Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Have you ever been bullied at work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm experiencing something like this.

Temporarily working for a prestigious company but am being bullied. Although the head has been accommodating, other 'colleagues' (all 25+) have regularly been e-mailing / texting one-another nasty comments directed about me right under my nose - often when I'm speaking with the head. I only discovered this a few days before Christmas when I went to use a scanner on another girl's comp and the e-mail was on the screen. I let it go.

It came to a head on Thurs when two went into my bag, through my personal possessions and brought out my notebook where they read personal extracts denoting my experience of the company - encouraged by the head for a project I'm working on. They then proceeded to rip pages out of the notebook which featured their name. I was upstairs helping something at the time.

Since then, it's been even worse. Their bullying has gone up several scales and most of their digs are in reference to some of my notebook extracts. I've lost sleep and it's playing on my mind. I feel sick that they have taken extracts out of my book, personal thoughts and feelings, and have them ready to distribute to anyone.

As I have two weeks left, I'm considering reporting this on Monday and quitting. What would anyone else do?

Has anyone else been bullied in the workplace?

Comments

• Options
    you say the head has been accomodating, but why arent your colleagues being hauled up for disciplinaries?

i was bullied by a colleague once, and whilst the boss said all the right things, she did fuck all about it. Basically they just try and placate you but it seems the situation is getting worse. Its easier for them if you just do nothing and then leave when you cant handle it, especially since its several of them. Your boss needs to tackle this properly and not just give lipservice because if you leave, it could be seen as constructive dismissal and you could get compensation. I would threaten with taking them to a tribunal if it carries on
  • Options
    I agree, sue the fuckers.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Get in touch with your union.

I am currently being harrassed by my headteacher, but so are the other teachers. I have been in touch with the union and they are taking it extremely seriously.
  • Options
    I agree, sue the fuckers.

:yes: i agree +REPORT IT to who higher than the head it discrimination and it wrong let us know x
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Neil,

What you have described is out-and-out-harrassment at work and should not be tolerated, regardless if you are a temporary or permanent worker.

Although you say your head has been sympathetic, the fact that has not been dealt with and is seen as acceptable behaviour among your colleagues speaks volumes about the company's work ethos.

The first thing to do is to write down a list of what has happened and send it in a letter to your HR department. List details of what happened, when, who was involved and how it made you feel. Explain what you did as a result of the activities and what, if anything, has happened.

If you want an added argument, its worth pointing out that any unfounded allegations about you written using company equipment makes the company liable to be sued for libel.

And call ACAS, on 08457 47 47 47. They will be able to provide you with specific advice about what action you should take.

With best wishes,

Olly
  • Options
    Kill'em With Kindness.