Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is it worth further counselling?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My relationship is breaking down, I'm terrified of being out of work when my contract expires in 6 months, I had a shitty birthday and feel far too old to be looking for graduate jobs/trying to get into the dating scene and I feel like I'm sliding back into depression.

My GP wants to send me back to my old psychotherapy practice but I only left 6 mths ago and thought it might be worth trying something else. Occupational Health at my job have a counselling service, which might be worth trying because I think they do some CBT (my previous support was psychoanalytic psychotherapy), and I've found CBT useful in the past for times when I'm not necessarily ill but rather having coping issues.

It's all a big mess. Help?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its always help to talk about problems and how you feel i'm getting help from expert people on how i feel.
    I know that doesn't help you but there always some one there to talk to and help you.

You take care x
    i guess you could weigh out the pros and cons of going again.. it is really down to how much you think you need to have more therapy.
    maybe you could go out for a drink, or do something fun for an evening and take your mind of things, so you can go back to them with an fresh mind. this may help you to make a decision too.
    i'm actually contemplating possibly having counselling myself again. but i;m going to see how things go. i think i prefer to unload a little
    on people i know.
    lol.
    i got distracted, and didn't finish the thing before i sent it.
    Aww hun i posted on your other thread it sounds like you definatly need to talk and get it off your chest so to speak hope youre ok im here if you want to talk pm anytime x:wave:
    Hi Piccolo,

Thanks for posting, it sound's like there's a lot happening for you all at once at the moment and that you need a little help. Nutter, Custard and Aj Fan are right, it could help talk to a professional and also weigh up the pros and cons of having some counselling again. It may also help to have a look at our depression and counselling factsheets. It's good that you have already spoken to your Doctor, if you do not want to go back to your old psychotherapy practice, then your Doctor will hopefully respect that and listen to your other ideas. You could even try a couple of things at the same time?

There is also an online CBT training programme that some people find useful. It's called MoodGYM. That may be worth taking a look at?

If your relationship is breaking down and you are worried about the prospect of dating again and you are concerned about your employment options - perhaps you could try posting an individual thread in the 'Sex and Relationships' and 'Work and Study' boards too? You may find that there are other people experiencing similar situations to you and may get some more focussed advice and support.

Try to tackle one issue at a time and and keep seeking advice and support from the places you find useful.

I hope some of this helps. Let us know how you get on -

:) :thumb:
    ok, some questions here, which you can Pm me if you don;t want to answer here...

how long did you do the psychoanalitical therapy for? and if you were to do CBT, do you have a specfic goal or topic that you feel you need to tackle?

have you thought about using some self management techniques as well?