Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the gateway drug

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
for years, people have been saying the gateway drug
from mine and other people's experiences with drugs, i would really have to say that, in my opinion, ALCOHOL is the gateway drug

how many of you first tried a drug other than alcohol when you were drunk? or because you liked the feeling of being drunk and wanted to explore drugs? how many of you tried alcohol before any other drug?

would like your thoughts on this....

Comments

• Options
    I did drink first, but then I did pot, which we were taught was the gateway drug. Eventually I did try other drugs but nothing compared. Couple times, on weekends for everything else, nothing special. After trying it, none of them did interested me. Usually after trying something and I'd wake up the next mornign with half of the sleeves of my favorite hoodie chewed apart I'd hate it and never do ita again. I didn't turn into a heroin addict like the videos in jr high told me I would. In fact, if I could, I'd smoke every day instead of driking.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Mostly complete bollocks.

However with weed being illegal it did bring me into contact with people who were selling other drugs. I didn't do weed and think I must try something else - it just made the other drugs more accessible.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    yea, obviously theres more chance that you're gonna come into contact with people who take other drugs when gettin weed etc

personally i dont think its a gateway drug

alcohol .. sorta, but not in the same sense that they make out that weeds a gateway drug. id get drunk and go fuck it get the e's out etc, but im not sure if i'd think like that if id never tried drugs previously

who knowS!
  • Options
    i dont think there really is one tbh, as most people who drink just drink, but plenty of people smoke cannabis and never do any other drug because they dont see it as like a drug, they see it in the same way that people see alcohol - just different, not a proper drug.

I think people who try ecstacy are fairly likely to try coke or ketamine if offered
  • Options
    i did weed before i started to drink, i didn't drink because my dads an alcholic and recovering and i saw the damage it could do to people, but i don't do either any more, expect the ocasional beer with friends
    so i don;t really think there is a gateway drug, just other drugs become more accesable to those that do weed etc
  • Options
    When I was about 9, I drank too much cough mixture and was really happy with the buzz it gave me. So, in my opinion, cough mixtures are the gateway drug! Beware! :)
  • Options
    which cough mixture was that? :hyper:
  • Options
    id have to say weed......always said when i was younger its all bullshit but looking back now i can see why people call it a 'gateway drug'
  • Options
    "gate way drug" could be any drug

I'm sure not everyone that took more different drugs started with pot. I'm also sure not all started with alcohol so for eveyone the gateway drug is different?

Or is it just the party scene, "peer pressure" (yeah right)
  • Options
    My dummy led to jelly babies and then baccy ...it all went down hill from there.
  • Options
    i started smoking pot before i went out drinking...but i think all this gateway drug idea is a load of bollocks...and if you really want to anal-ise it then painkillers were my gateway drug
  • Options
    Holland have found that by seperating hard from soft drugs that there is a lot less heroin and crack use. Cannabis if it is a 'gateway drug' (which I dont think it is) is only one because its illegal and as Skive says it puts you in contact with people selling other drugs.

I have heard argued that spinning around really fast as a child is the ultimate 'gateway drug' its the first experience you get of a change in perception, everything after that builds on that experience.