Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm a bunny copycat!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My car question being if you would file a report...
I know this is stupid to ask on a UK site but its more of an opionion question.

So first my rant. I know I drive a cheap little car with thin little parts in an area of the US that is covered by road salt for at least 1/4 of the year. Rust is a fact of life.

So today I was driving to work, my usual route, and it is fucking 7:30 in the morning I'm not paying attention and I hit this huge sinkhole. From what I'm aware of and people in the area, a pipe must have frozen and burst and this is the cities attempt at fixing it. The city knows this huge hole is there.

I havn't had my car looked at, but from the sound (which I've heard many o times before... my last car had a hole in the pipe leading to the exaust so I know that loud awful sound well...)

Somehow, someway, somwhere some pipe under my car has broke again. Luckily the boyfriends cousin is a mechanic who fixes my car for dirt cheap.

Onto the question...
Is it worth my time to file a report? Most likely they wouldn't pay for any of the fixings on my car, and since the city "fixed" it they obviously know about the shape of this hole in the first place.

In order to file a claim I would need a police report (far far after the fact by now) pictures (which I just took for the shits and giggles) actually filing the report, estimates of the damage (which they wouldn't pay for anyway) they call it an "act of god" I've heard of people blowing tires on some! Illinois might as well be a fucking minefield

But... it might bring it to their attention...

The pictures aren't a good example of the magnitude of how deep the hole actually is...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/aname/HPIM0498.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/aname/HPIM0497.jpg

Would you waste your time with this?

Comments

• Options
    Well, that's a photo of Obama, but yeah I would. It's their stinking hole that broke your car.
  • Options
    Ah fucking internet, that was my fisting photo for SG :( Now it posts it.

99% they aret' even going to listen to me, but try anways?

:o My picture caught a hatchback. I shame myself :(
  • Options
    Holy crap that's a crater!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Thats a pretty shitty repair job they'vew done there!
  • Options
    You can tell in the pic? You should see the rest of my drive to work!

Do you think writing an email or a letter to the correct department of the city would suffice? The more I'm reading online the more I know they arent' going to do anything about me or the crater... but just to get it out there...

And would you believe the city this hole is in is one of those richy towns with the super high taxes :p Where does it go, oh where does it go, mr Illinois politicians :chin:
  • Options
    yea, well there has been all that stuff with your "guvna" :p

are sinkholes-potholes here, or is that too big to be a pothole?
  • Options
    I'm confused? "guvna" governor? I dont know where the accent leads me to. I'm hoping a road or two could get fixed once he's out. If only... but then there is the rest of the government to deal with :p I'm pretty sure it is actually a sinkhole due to the frozen burst piepe theory... either way, it is relativly popular frontage road and very dangerous.
  • Options
    Seriously though what kind of repair job is that? I mean was the guy with the tarmac drunk when he sorted that one out?
  • Options
    My friend car got 500 pounds worth of damage from pothole and the council sent a cheque and paid for it worth a try
  • Options
    I'm confused? "guvna" governor? I dont know where the accent leads me to. I'm hoping a road or two could get fixed once he's out. If only... but then there is the rest of the government to deal with :p I'm pretty sure it is actually a sinkhole due to the frozen burst piepe theory... either way, it is relativly popular frontage road and very dangerous.
    yeah...your govenor...he's in the shits for some money thing isn't he?
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Seriously though what kind of repair job is that? I mean was the guy with the tarmac drunk when he sorted that one out?

Probably, I wish on my best days to get a city job ;) Stand out there for 8 hours a day doing nothing. Yes please. I've never actually seen anybody do work.

They were replacing hydrants or sidewalk or something last summer... I think it was 5 months that they had half the road torn up. It was less than 1/4 mile.
  • Options
    yeah...your govenor...he's in the shits for some money thing isn't he?

I apologize, I'm a tard :( Yeah, selling the Senator seat, witholding money from a childrens hospital, getting people sacked from the tribune because they disagreed with him... and I thought I had it bad growing up in a state with http://helldriversmovie.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/jesse-ventura1.jpg as a govna (oh britsh simba! :D) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oPec-xFlnCA/SUJy-F4QduI/AAAAAAAAACQ/Ia6z-tNW6wI/s1600-h/Rod.jpg Unfortunaly the first pic is real... but besides the fact ;)
  • Options
    cabbage patch dolls of govenors??? thats retarded!

i'm deciding whether i should be guvna or el presidente on my rock society's t-shirt....the guvna sounds cool....like "i'm afraid you'll have to see the guvna, she won't like that ya know..." in an ultra cockney voice...dalston like accent...(dalston is in hackney, which is a borough of east london- pretty cockney)
  • Options
    Don't worry, as far as I know its not an actual cabbage patch, just an internet image going 'round :p (or so we hope!) For all I know there could be the Wal-Mart fist fights going on already for Blago dolls :p
  • Options
    I think I'll just write an email or a letter but there are a million different places to write! http://www.vah.com/MenusAndLinks/ContactUs/ContactUs.htm I'm sort of scared of using the phone...
  • Options
    I called the city and they told me to call the state... the man I spoke to was very nice and understand when I got all confused when he asked whether I was east or westbound :p said I sounded just like his wife ;)

He said, though, I was the only one to report that hole... how?!?! I guess the group mentality? Somebody thinks somebody else will always do something? He said they'll send somebody out so let's see...
  • Options
    I would say a lot of people do not report the holes. I mean we have a load of pot holes around here, and I don't report them, even though they are annoying.

Mind you ours generally don't fill the entire road.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ooooh you wanna be me...hehe! :p

You should in theory be able to claim...they have not sufficiently repaired the road, and as a result your car has been damaged due to their inability to resurface the road.

How much has Ed's cousin estimated it will cost?

Miss you pumkin!!