Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Difficult situation.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in a funny situation.
I lost my job in november and had trouble finding work since.
Ive had to sell my car to live and still no luck with finding work.
The only way I can afford to even get to work if I get a job is to take out a loan but they all want proof of income for the past two months and I dont know what to do.
I need a job to get a car and i need a car to get a job.

I dont know what to do.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you live in the middle of no where?
    Can you not get a job which does not require a car?

E.g. a job which is on a bus route? within walking distance?

Do you get JSA? Surely you can use some of this money to pay for the bus in future?

Just keep trying, don't give up hope as that's the worst thing you could potentially do in this situation. Persevere, good luck, something will turn up. :)
    I have literally no money.
    i am massively overdrawn at the bank and owe my overdraft and ive had to sell my car to par for little things.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey, sorry to hear about your situation. I've moved this as I think it will get more of a response in this forum rather than anything goes.

As mystifymysoul says, Job Seeker's Allowance may well help if you don't already receive it.

What kind of work are you looking for? Temping might be an option in the short-term if finding permanent work is proving really tough. You may also find TheSite.org's article on job openings helpful.

If you're worried about the situation with your bank then you could seek some impartial advice from the national debt line tel: 0808 808 4000 which is free, confidential and open 9am-9pm monday to Friday.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    What line of work were you involved with? Some fields are easier to get in to at the moment.

Is freelancing a possibility?

Freelance work, if you have the skill, is a good way of making ends meet. And even though you'd be stupid to try and get by on it permanently without a backup plan, it might be a short term option. Take a look at Elance.com and see if anything is relevant to your skill set.

It's pretty unrealistic to think that you can't work because you can't afford to get there though. Surely once you're working, you can afford to pay for the necessary travel?

I'm torn at the moment. Half of me is set on handing in my notice on Monday morning, the other half is torn on competition for jobs in the city. It's not the greatest time to be looking for employment but there are opportunities out there. You've gotta pick up the flack and start sending CVs out where previously you might have let an interesting job slip by.
    Whatever you do, don't get into more debt through loans and overdrafts. It wont make anything better for you... Only spend what you need to spend. Good luck :)