Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mobile phones

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay I am pretty rubbish when it comes to mobiles, so any help woud be really appreciated :)

Basically my contract runs out in March and I don't want another contract as due to the job situation at the min there might be months when I can't afford to pay it. So I've decided to get a solo sim where you pay by direct debit on a montly basis but can cancel it at any time without having to give notice. I've found a few for £20 a month with 600 mins, unlimited text and free internet access.

Only problem is you don't get a phone like you would on a contract. I have a Motorolla Razar phone at the moment which is the crapest phone ever, it's useless and just about works :rolleyes: . So I do need a new phone, but I am really rubbish at knowing which phones are good. I'd like one that you can use the internet with so has to have 3g (or something like that, my bf did try and explain :blush: ), take photos, radio/mp3 (although thats not entierly important just would be nice :) ), and then do the usual text etc.

I don't really want to have to spend any more thant £150 at the very most as I am a poor student atm :crying:

Any suggestions will be muchly appreciated :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Would something like this suit you:

http://www.simfreephones.co.uk/phonepage.php?manuName=Sony%20Ericsson%20Mobile%20Phones&simfree=Sony%20Ericsson%20K800i
    sonyericssonk800i.gif

review:
    Phone rating: 5stars.gif
    http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/sony-ericsson-k800i.htm

I am no expert either, but have heard good things about the SE phones. And unless you pay the extra for a 'smartphone' or sorts, the browsing experience for the internet isn't going to be great on any. My suggestion would be to get a phone that is a phone, if you *need* internet on the go, buy a cheap netbook and use your phone as a modem. (If you get that t-mobile 600 mins tariff, you get free internet iirc)

Of course, you can do things like update your facebook status, but if you try browsing these forums for example you will be killing yourself with frustration. I do, and I have a smartphone, one of the better ones on the market in fact. (HTC TYtN II) 3.5G / HSDPA, GPS, QWERTY keyboard, touchscreen, you name it.

I like sony ericsson phones I've had a few in the past and they have been really good! I only want to internet to look at facebook etc, not for looking on here! It's just for some entertainment during long days and night shifts ;)
    My bf has the netbook and modem on the go so if I ever need the net out and about I can just use that, but like I say this is for just nosying on facebook when I'm board!

Thanks for the link tho!
    Go into the Carphone warehouse, their phones are SO CHEAP. I picked up a Samsung J700 for £30!

Oh and one phone you can get is the LG KS360. It's £89RRP. Has everything you want. I was going to get it, but the problem is finding somewhere that has it.
    Hi DON'T GET sony ecri w88oi or w89oi crap i had 4 in 1 year faults switching off etc i just got the se w595i it brilliant
    Thanks for the help everyone :)

After much reading I've decided I want a LG Viewty...they've had good reviews and have everything I want. Just need to find somewhere that actually has them in stock :chin:
    Advice - try the ViewTY before you buy. I have used this extensively during testing at work, and I hate the blasted thing. The UI is unresponsive and poorly designed, just not good.

Check the SMS writing thing, the text entry when entering a URL into the web browser etc. I find it soooo frustrating and clunky to use.
    g_angel wrote: »
    Advice - try the ViewTY before you buy. I have used this extensively during testing at work, and I hate the blasted thing. The UI is unresponsive and poorly designed, just not good.

Check the SMS writing thing, the text entry when entering a URL into the web browser etc. I find it soooo frustrating and clunky to use.

Oohh thanks, I've just had another quick look and people have said texting can be slow etc

I am even more confused as to what to get now :chin: