Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anti Malarials - to puke, or not to puke..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello, for the first time in years!

I'm going to Thailand and need malaria tablets. Malarone are mentally expensive, so I think I'm gonna go for Doxycyline?

Although I've heard these are the ones that make you the most ill.

Ugh. Can anyone tell me any of their anti malarial experiences? Or what you've used, or how you've reacted to them?

Is the ickyness constant or does it wear off?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if theres a billion threads about this already.. I'm being lazy..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Thanks love, although Boots told me £3 the other day. I need 40 tablets as I'm going for 6 weeks. I don't have that kinda money :(

I reckon I'm gonna get sick either way.. just not with malaria... hopefully!
  • Options
    Thanks hun, you're a star.

I've checked out Boots and appear to have ordered 40 of "MALARONE tablets 250mg + 100mg". Although I'm unsure as to what the + is all about?!

And its only come to £7..

I'm very confused.. I think there must be some kind of fck up somewhere.
  • Options
    Malarone has the least side effects apparantly. Although I knew people on that Doxy one, and they felt a bit ill but it wasn't un-bearable. You'll also find alot of people who just don't bother taking them too....this is stupid, make sure you take them every day.
    Even malarone can fuck you up a bit... if I took a pill before going out, I'd suddenly feel really tired, lazy and a bit ill. I also find you get more drunk when you've just taken malarone.
    Where are you going in Thailand? You don't need to take malaria pills unless you're going into the mountains and jungles in the far north.
  • Options
    I'm going next Saturday, and might be going to Chang Mai. Thats about as far north as I think we're going so far.

I know you only need them for certain places, but I just want to be sure.

I get bitten a lot anyways.. don't wanna risk it.
  • Options
    Chiang Mai you might need them, and you definately do if you go elephant trekking in the hills around Chiang Mai. You'll also definately need them if you're going into Laos or Cambodia.
    But seriously, further south....espescially in Bangkok and the islands....there's really no risk of malaria, I wouldn't waste your money.
    But remember with Malarone...I think you need to start taking it a week before you enter a malarious area...and then for a week after I think, you might want to look that up though.
    Have a wicked time over there, I travelled South East Asia this time last year and had the time of my fucking life. Thailand is sick, you're gonna love it. :thumb:
  • Options
    I think Cambodia could be an option later in the trip.

Cheers love! I can't effing wait. Although bit disappointed that the only drug I'll be taking at the Full Moon Party IS my malaria pill!
  • Options
    Lol Be fucking careful with drugs at the full moon....never, ever, EVER buy drugs off anyone on the beach.... I bought pills off a canadian guy but I'm irrisponsible and stupid. :p
    I need to be careful how I say this, but another option that some people may chose, is to get hold of drugs somewhere else on Ko Pha Ngan and take them in...for example putting a gram of MDMA in a bottle of red bull and taking that with you to get past the security. ;)
    There are many other places on the island of Ko Pha Ngan where drugs are everywhere and easily available, and there are no Police. Just don't stay on Haad Rin. Some of the more remote beaches have bars where you can sit in and smoke weed whilst drinking Mushroom milkshakes and tea.
    But I need to remind you that the penalty for drugs in Thailand is very severe and can be punishable by death, depending on the amount you have on you.
  • Options
    Thanks love, although Boots told me £3 the other day. I need 40 tablets as I'm going for 6 weeks. I don't have that kinda money :(

I reckon I'm gonna get sick either way.. just not with malaria... hopefully!
    Just to butt in...I think you'd need more than 40 for 6 weeks. given that 6 weeks = 42 days of 1 per day and you're supposed to take them a week either side (at least - I forget 'cause I haven't taken them for a while, didn't bother with them on my last few trips to Africa) as well. Though you probably won't get it if you're sensible (mossie nets, insect spray etc) it is pretty nasty if you do so it's worth being safe. My dad caught it after living in Africa for years (he stopped taking his pills after about a year or so I think) and it wasn't nice.
  • Options
    Hiya.

Firstly I hope you have a good time on your trip!

Just to add in my bit about anti-malarials... Well a few years ago I took Mefloquine... brand name Lariam I think. Pretty sure its perscription only too. I probably wouldn't take it again though....

I had really weird dreams... and sometimes had problems with hallucinations if i woke up during any nightmares. My sister was also sick taking them... On the plus side I only had to take them once a week (for 6 weeks) and I only had problems with side effects on 3 of the nights I took it.

As with all side effects / drugs it depends on the person though.

All the best, hope you find one that is right for you. :)
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Chiang Mai you might need them, and you definately do if you go elephant trekking in the hills around Chiang Mai. You'll also definately need them if you're going into Laos or Cambodia.
    But seriously, further south....espescially in Bangkok and the islands....there's really no risk of malaria, I wouldn't waste your money.
    But remember with Malarone...I think you need to start taking it a week before you enter a malarious area...and then for a week after I think, you might want to look that up though.
    Have a wicked time over there, I travelled South East Asia this time last year and had the time of my fucking life. Thailand is sick, you're gonna love it. :thumb:

I was just thinking when I went to phuket all I did was go to my nurse and said I was going thailand and she gave me I think hepatitus something and something else.

Was feeling a bit stupid as didn't know was meant to be taking proper medication :p
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I spoke to a Nurse yesterday and she didn't seem to know. It was a case of 'uhm, you might need them, or you might not, uhm.. go speak to a pharmacist about it'

I went to a Travel Clinic and the Nurse had a map with malarious areas highlighted in red. The only red bits in Thailand were running along the northern borders with Myanmar (Burma) and Laos. But she also said to take them in the countryside around Chiang Mai aswell, just to be safe.
    Anywhere south of that though, espescially in Phuket and the islands....no risk AT ALL. Seriously, no one takes Malaria pills in those parts of Thailand, it's just a big waste of money.