Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UK drugs policy - questions you'd like answered.

Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
Hiya,

Next month I’m off to interview Alan Campbell MP, the government minister responsible for the drugs policy. I’m basically going to ask him what is going on with current policy: the change in classification of cannabis and the non-reclassification of Ecstasy despite a recommendation by a team of government experts.

Do you have any questions you’d like me to put to him? Preferably vaguely about drugs policy and classification as that’s what the interview is meant to be about. I haven’t got long with him, but I’ll see what I can do…

Olly

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    would you be able to ask him questions about drugs education or is that a different dept?
  • Options
    would you be able to ask him questions about drugs education or is that a different dept?

I think it's a different department, but I'm willing to give it a go. What sort of question/s were you thinking?

Cheers,

Olly
  • Options
    There were police with sniffer dogs at the barriers of Old Street station on Saturday and my mate got caught with weed in his pocket. The police took his name and confiscated the stash, and that was it.

Obviously they were more interested in catching the dealers, but then it turns out three guys were also let off having been in possession of six baggies of crack.

I wonder whether possession even matters when it comes to enforcement like this.
  • Options
    Olly_B wrote: »
    I think it's a different department, but I'm willing to give it a go. What sort of question/s were you thinking?

Cheers,

Olly
    whether they are thinking of new lines of education, because the message is still not getting through to kids, and the resources for schools still seems poor...and are they thinking of putting some kind of education programs into unis, because drugs are a huge problem, especially in my uni...
  • Options
    I would be interested to know if he has followed the heroin trials done by the Swiss and how they have drastically reduced crime there. If was proven in trials that giving heroin on prescription would reduce crime would they do it?
  • Options
    I would like to cry about cigarettes and alcohol being totally

uncontrolled apart from age restrictions and how between the two,

they kill 1000's each year yet drugs that have never ever been

recorded to kill someone are made completely illegal and onto

the hands of criminals who give no shit other than to make money

even if this means polluting the drugs so much so, the drug becomes

totally unrecognisable and with 10,000 more health risks than it would

have been if controlled!
  • Options
    Tobacco and alcohol has more controls on it than just the age limits, there are strict quality controls - for example when was the last time you knew someone who went blind after drinking vodka.

Yes they kill 1000's but that isnt an argument for legalising the other drugs, if anything it is an argument for criminalising tobacco and alcohol.

The big argument for legal supply of some recreational drugs is that the social harms are likely to reduce, there would be tax revenue for the government and the personal harms suffered by the users are also likely to reduce. In short it would be cheaper and safer.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Tobacco and alcohol has more controls on it than just the age limits, there are strict quality controls - for example when was the last time you knew someone who went blind after drinking vodka.

Yes they kill 1000's but that isnt an argument for legalising the other drugs, if anything it is an argument for criminalising tobacco and alcohol.

The big argument for legal supply of some recreational drugs is that the social harms are likely to reduce, there would be tax revenue for the government and the personal harms suffered by the users are also likely to reduce. In short it would be cheaper and safer.

Forget the wars for 5 minutes

Control the drugs

Tax the drugs

Yipee more money for war!
  • Options
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    Forget the wars for 5 minutes

Control the drugs

Tax the drugs

Yipee more money for war!

1. Tax revenues can and frequently are used for things other than wars.

2. Governments can and frequently do other things than start wars.

3. The UK government is doing quite the opposite to starting a war at the moment, they are attempting to leave Iraq as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    lol i agree drugs is the biggest money maker in the world and i can bet my life on that!! alcohol and cigarettes are biggest killers its jus that they are taxable drugs thats why they dont make them illegal they NEED them, i dont see the harm in in a smoke of weed will be the tobcco in it that causes the biggest harm the only drugs i do not agree with are crack and heroin DISGUSTING. alcohol not only kills people but it cause so many other problems having lived with an alcoholic i would know!! people who smoke weed jus lye there chilled out people taking es will think everyones their best friend of all the people i no who take drugs they are decent and do not cause harm to anyone incudong myself this world needs a wake up call!!!

p.s sorry if a went on a bit lol i got carryed away, i think im waaay off topic hehe
  • Options
    Cannabis isnt the completely safe harmless drug you might like to think it is, for a start there is absolutely no quality control, so there are no checks on what insectacides or fertilisers are used on it. And secondly there does seem to be increasing evidence that there is a link between heavy early use of cannabis and mental health problems, especially with people with a certain genetic disposition.

As for heroin being disgusting, yes street heroin does fit that description, but that is because of the market not the drug itself. Medical heroin is less harmful to the body than alcohol.
  • Options
    And with legalised government controled canncabis, it would be safe cannabis. Same with other drugs, you wouldn't get a dodgy pill, they'd know what's in them, how much and can advise any takers on how to take it safely.
  • Options
    I work with teenagers and both drinking and drugs is an issue with me and them that needs to be more controlled. Some of them come into the youth centre under the influence of these substances and I believe that they are also into much harder drugs.
    How have the drugs got into this country in the first place? From oversees dealers? passed onto dealers here....there needs to tougher measures brought in to stop this happening. Some drugs that are sold on the street ...do you know that they are the real thing and do you get ripped off for bad drugs. My husband was robbed just after moving in here and he knew exactely who it was that robbed him and yes it was someone being greedy to feed his habit.
    Why do youngsters get away with a very low message say for first time of finding it. I believe we should make it harder and tougher.

Also in Holland and my husband is dutch why do they have coffee shops where people can smoke any type of weed. I say that if the drug can be smoked in one country why cant they legalise it here. It would save a lot of police time and effort in actually making weed legal to smoke here.
    So why not go to Holland and see how it is made legall.
    Why do young people want to start taking drugs? I think we need more education about the drugs, working positive towards getting them to kick the habbit.
  • Options
    If it was tougher, more crime would happen as the only thing you can do without using jails is fines. If most steal already to get the drugs, how are they going to get money for the drugs and the fine?, fines don't work, A addict will get the drugs first and if they have the money to pay the fine, guess where that will go... They wont pay the fines. Jails don't work either.

Plus, being "tougher" would mean they'd get a criminal record, how many youths would be able to get a job with a criminal record for drug possesion?, and with the current job shortage, it's killing their chances while they are down. Research too wouldn't be given, due to the Drug Misuse act.

Research and telling someone the facts wont make them stop taking the drug(s), it may change their opinions to think more about it, but it wont stop them taking any drugs. Maybe the odd people, with the odd drug but certainly not to change their opinions. If anything, research should be used to spread the truth about these drugs, rather than myths and false information.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    And with legalised government controled canncabis, it would be safe cannabis. Same with other drugs, you wouldn't get a dodgy pill, they'd know what's in them, how much and can advise any takers on how to take it safely.

There is never going to be a 'safe' drug. Legal supply will decrease the risks, but they will still be there.
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    I work with teenagers and both drinking and drugs is an issue with me and them that needs to be more controlled. Some of them come into the youth centre under the influence of these substances and I believe that they are also into much harder drugs.
    How have the drugs got into this country in the first place? From oversees dealers? passed onto dealers here....there needs to tougher measures brought in to stop this happening. Some drugs that are sold on the street ...do you know that they are the real thing and do you get ripped off for bad drugs. My husband was robbed just after moving in here and he knew exactely who it was that robbed him and yes it was someone being greedy to feed his habit.
    Why do youngsters get away with a very low message say for first time of finding it. I believe we should make it harder and tougher.

Also in Holland and my husband is dutch why do they have coffee shops where people can smoke any type of weed. I say that if the drug can be smoked in one country why cant they legalise it here. It would save a lot of police time and effort in actually making weed legal to smoke here.
    So why not go to Holland and see how it is made legall.
    Why do young people want to start taking drugs? I think we need more education about the drugs, working positive towards getting them to kick the habbit.

There is absolutely no way of stopping the drugs entering this country, we have a massive border, and millions of tons of goods comes and goes all the time to search all of that thoroughly would make the economy grind to a halt.

Cannabis isnt legal in Holland, it never has been legal there.

One of the main reasons why we cant legalise it, and why the Dutch never have is that we signed international agreements to make it illegal.
  • Options
    Hi Olly;

Sorry I took so long to reply but I've been giving this serious thought. What I would like to ask is something of a two part question;

1) What evidence do the Home Office have that allows them to contradict the judgement and competencies of experts from their own advisory panel, repeatedly, over a number of years?

2) How can the Home Office justify continued public spending on research and consultations with the ACMD that they repeatedly ignore, and that successive Home Secretaries contradict without any superceding evidence? Does this not run contrary to the Labour matra of evidence based social policy?

To my mind these are about the only serious questions to ask the Home Office, because until they answer these everything else is pretty moot.

Good luck with your interview.

Take care,

MB
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Some really good ideas.

Keep them coming... you've got until next Wednesday! :-)

Olly
  • Options
    You could ask they have any evidence that suggests that moving cannabis to a class B will reduce the use and harm of cannabis. But to be frank its a moot point because they were asked the same thing by the Science and Technology Committee and they could present no evidence what so ever that the classification system helped reduce use or harm of drugs.

You could also ask why magic mushrooms were moved to class A, but again its a wasted question because even the ACMD couldnt come up with a good answer. I've heard from someone who was there that they all just shrugged and said 'well the other hallucinogens are Class A'.
  • Options
    I'd personally like to see more done to control the use of alcohol. In some areas it is an offence to consume alcohol in the street. I'd like to see this extended nationally. We have huge problems with 18+ year olds who are jobless wasters hanging around on the street with 14-15 year olds and getting drunk. In one town where we introduced the drinking ban the problems vanished within a few weeks. Word got around that it was actively enforced through the use of the fixed penalty system and the drinkers stopped drinking in public.
  • Options
    We have huge problems with 18+ year olds who are jobless wasters hanging around on the street with 14-15 year olds and getting drunk.

The group effect, particularly with older teenagers and even those into early twenties, is a big problem nationwide. Any change in alcohol consumption however will take generations to achieve, as it is so engrained within the history, social and recreational, economic, and class structures of British society.
  • Options
    The group effect, particularly with older teenagers and even those into early twenties, is a big problem nationwide. Any change in alcohol consumption however will take generations to achieve, as it is so engrained within the history, social and recreational, economic, and class structures of British society.

Stopping the sale of frighteningly cheap alcohol might be a good start, especially the promotions in the supermarkets which are loss leaders to get people through the doors.
  • Options
    Surely tuffer laws, ID every customer regardless of what age they look would be a good start?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Surely tuffer laws, ID every customer regardless of what age they look would be a good start?

It doesn't help. Much better just banning the consumption of alcohol on the street.
  • Options
    What did Mr Brown think he meant when he said he was going to listen?
    And why didn't he to his own experts that I fucking paid for ...for him to just ignore and up the ante on cannabis.