Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

moving in together

how soon is too soon to move in with your partner?

im not 100% sure im ready. we've been together 9/10 months and we are looking at moving in together in a few months time.

how soon did some of you wait until you moved in together?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We were together about 5 months.

Only you will know if it is the right time or not.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We were together about 2 months, but it was less of a conscious decision to move in, and more of a waking up one morning and thinking "I haven't gone home for 6 months!!" :lol:
  • Options
    Me and my boyfriend have been joined to the hip since the first day we met. We did talk about moving intogether about 6months in because it made sense financially and because we spent so much time togehter. But I'm so glad we never did as I feel like it could have been too soon. We will be looking to make the move in about 6months time and we'll have been together almost 2 years then. I think we know each other enough and know how to compromise and work together enough for it to be great.
  • Options
    We moved in together pretty much straight away because it's all we could do in the situation. I mean, we knew eachother for a fair few months before, but we weren't physically with eachother for most of it.
    It wasn't ideal at all, I know that now. It was definately too soon and it hasn't been easy. There's been conflict from the start and it got to the point where we decided that as soon as the lease was up, we'd be moving out seperately, because it was the only way we saw it working.
    However things have changed since then. We've really grown as a couple and we reckon we're ready to carry on living together.
    It's all about being able to give eachother your own space from time to time, aswell as being able to accept, sacrifice and compromise little things.
  • Options
    After about 2 months, but we do still both have our own houses, just one of them is now let to tennants. We had spent most of that 2 months living at one house or the other with no nights apart so it just made more sense to move in together and get some money in for the other.
  • Options
    We met in Feb '06, got together in Oct '06 and went on holiday together for a week in June '07.. so far, I've never really gone home after we got back from the airport! :)
  • Options
    about a month.

I worried it was too soon, but it was fine and we're together and stronger than ever more than 3 years later.
  • Options
    I think the time is right when you both feel ready to :D
  • Options
    If you are not entierly sure then don't do it. I've been with my bf for just over 2 years and I wouldn't feel ready to live with him. Partly due to the fact I feel too young to have my own place yet and worry about settling down. My bf has his own flat he shares with his mate and I do stay there alot..but I couldn't live with him 24/7. He loves me to bits but I think I would drive him crazy! And plus I don't pay rent living at home just buy my own food...so I've got it easy atm ;)
  • Options
    Just remember you are only moving in though, it's not like you are buying the place. Personally I would look at the practicalities of the situation as well as just the emotional side. If not moving in would leave you stuck with nowhere to go, no deposit for anywhere else, and no boyfriend, then for me that would be some quite heavy weight to say "just see how it goes". Just because you move in it doesn't mean you have to stay there forever.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Just remember you are only moving in though, it's not like you are buying the place. Personally I would look at the practicalities of the situation as well as just the emotional side. If not moving in would leave you stuck with nowhere to go, no deposit for anywhere else, and no boyfriend, then for me that would be some quite heavy weight to say "just see how it goes". Just because you move in it doesn't mean you have to stay there forever.

Yeah thats a good point :yes:

From you're other posts I get that money is tight atm so if it is more practical to move in with your bf and it makes more sense than do it. Just try not to think of the emotional factor of it and more the practical side.

I suppose you might find it really works for you two, if not once you're back on your feet you can find somewhere of your own.
  • Options
    we were together about a month then after that come november time we realised we had only had one night apart since july so that was that. then a better flat came up in the building and we decided to go official- like. he can move back to his parents at any point so it doesn't feel pressurised at all but as we went quite long without needing time apart from each other it seemed like a natural step.
  • Options
  • Options
    We lived togther since before we were a couple, having met as housemates at uni. Lived together for 16 months before becoming a couple, then when uni finished it seemed natural to get our own place together, we already knew each others dirty habits, annoying traits etc. So we have never really lived apart, bar holidays at uni, and are still happy, living in our own house together 6 years later :hyper:

If it feels right you will know. If you are not sure then dont force it...living together can make or break the relationship.
  • Options
    I must agree with Mist. And you don't have to look at it as moving in as a couple, it could be just a roommate situation, you just so happen to bang your roommate ;) Just watch out though, you may find out some things you wish you never knew ;)

Though I have to say, being carefull not to pluck your eyebrows and toenails is just going ott. You live there, its what you do. If my boyfriend doesn't want to see me in my pjs andbeing all sexy using half a box of kleenex in the morning well he can just fuck off as thats what I do and you know they don't care about hiding themselves and having to pretend they are all prissy and cute all day! :p
  • Options

Though I have to say, being carefull not to pluck your eyebrows and toenails is just going ott. You live there, its what you do. If my boyfriend doesn't want to see me in my pjs andbeing all sexy using half a box of kleenex in the morning well he can just fuck off as thats what I do and you know they don't care about hiding themselves and having to pretend they are all prissy and cute all day! :p

:yes:
  • Options
    It's not a question of time, but how much you go on each others nerves while being together for a prolonged time. If there are regular quarrels or stuff like that, moving in together magnifies that x100.
  • Options
    As i said it doesnt really matter how soon or how late it is aslong as your both 100% ready to move in then do it!
  • Options
    I have been in a long distance relationship for just over a year. Been on holiday together for a week, seen each other physically for about two weeks in total. I live in Ireland and want to move back to England. I worry that if i move in with the person i'm seeing it will be too much. I really don't wanna risk losing what i have with her.

If it goes well, is it worth the risk??
  • Options
    mrniceguy wrote: »
    I have been in a long distance relationship for just over a year. Been on holiday together for a week, seen each other physically for about two weeks in total. I live in Ireland and want to move back to England. I worry that if i move in with the person i'm seeing it will be too much. I really don't wanna risk losing what i have with her.

If it goes well, is it worth the risk??

I think it's actually pretty impossible to tell. There is just no comparison. Knowing someone over the Internet and coming clear with each others little quirks that only show in real life is a entirely different thing. The best ldr have proved to fail quickly in real life.

But what do you want? have an long distance relationship for the rest of your life? Go for it, and if it fails, then you know it wasn't meant to happen. It's better to get rid of it, if it's no good, instead of clinging to it, because it works so beautiful in theory, right?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I think it's actually pretty impossible to tell. There is just no comparison. Knowing someone over the Internet and coming clear with each others little quirks that only show in real life is a entirely different thing. The best ldr have proved to fail quickly in real life.

But what do you want? have an long distance relationship for the rest of your life? Go for it, and if it fails, then you know it wasn't meant to happen. It's better to get rid of it, if it's no good, instead of clinging to it, because it works so beautiful in theory, right?

Well this is the thing. I guess i am enjoying the "honeymoon period" so much. It has been such a build up since we met, its like we are 13 again:blush:

I just don't like the fact that living together will almost certainly put an end to that :( decisions decisions:chin: .....I am liking the little love bubble right now:love:
  • Options
    well, if i move in, im moving into his at the end of march.

im just scared we will get sick of each other, like, sick of each other's company. at the moment, we look forward to seeing each other and have a good time. i dont want want any of the exitement to disappear if you get me? just scared he will get bored of me and look elsewhere.
  • Options
    well, if i move in, im moving into his at the end of march.

im just scared we will get sick of each other, like, sick of each other's company. at the moment, we look forward to seeing each other and have a good time. i dont want want any of the exitement to disappear if you get me? just scared he will get bored of me and look elsewhere.

Feel completely the same!

We are getting on great and really enjoy seeing each other when we do. Both of us want more than long distance but maybe moving in together would be too much? I could just move close to her but it would make financial sense for both of us if we lived together.

Long distance not enough, moving in together too much. Like yourself i don't want to kill the excitement. In someways i feel if we move in it will start the clock on our relationship. Id be so gutted if it didn't work out.
  • Options
    Just remember just because you live together doesn't mean you really have to "be" together more than you already are. Like me and boyfriend, right now he is upstairs watching some stupid ass tv show and I'm downstairs playing some stupid ass computer game. Even when we are in the same room together its like that. So you are together but not together in the sense of oh god I will stop your heart if I see you one more second. It is hard to explain :p I guess it is sort of like living with your family, you are there, but thats because that is where you live. Then when you go out or you have a nice night in and you have your dates and all that its different, its back to the boyfriend/girlfriend thing...

If something annoys you, though, get it out in the begining. Like if he cuts his tonails in bed...Else it will just build and build and build as you watch them do it every single day and the rage will grow and burn and then you end up on Forensic Files.
  • Options
    If something annoys you, though, get it out in the begining. Like if he cuts his tonails in bed...Else it will just build and build and build as you watch them do it every single day and the rage will grow and burn and then you end up on Forensic Files.

:lol:

I officially moved in after about 8 months, although tbh I never really went home after about the first 3 months. I guess it was kind of fast, by some people's standards, but it worked for me. I personally think the moving in stage will either make or break you as a couple, cause I don't think you really know someone until you live with them.

I don't get the thing about not wanting to be put off them though. If living with them is going to burst your bubble, then maybe your bubble is erring on the side of rose-tinted and fake. Men do burp and scratch themselves and pick their toes in bed, and girls poo and fart and look like crap in the morning, and if that kind of thing turns you off, then maybe humans aren't for you.
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    :lol:

I officially moved in after about 8 months, although tbh I never really went home after about the first 3 months. I guess it was kind of fast, by some people's standards, but it worked for me. I personally think the moving in stage will either make or break you as a couple, cause I don't think you really know someone until you live with them.

I don't get the thing about not wanting to be put off them though. If living with them is going to burst your bubble, then maybe your bubble is erring on the side of rose-tinted and fake. Men do burp and scratch themselves and pick their toes in bed, and girls poo and fart and look like crap in the morning, and if that kind of thing turns you off, then maybe humans aren't for you.

I like the thought of it because it would show that my partner is serious about me. On the other hand, the reality of it is not so appealing.

I don't wanna be in something that is fake but living together must add pressure to the relationship? like putting your lives together, having to talk like housemates and just generally being in each others space. It takes away the curiosity?

Maybe I'm not mature enough yet but it all seems a bit daunting. I don't think i would be put off by her and any habits that she has but the practicality of living together. From what i can see there would be a lot of disadvantages compared to advantages?

So is it just down to love?