Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Teenager told to jump due to 'wasting taxpayer's money'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/7831166.stm

There just aren't the words to describe how utterly inhumane and ridiculous the British public can be at times.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    those people should be charged with something...

why the hell weren't they moved by police or something?
    I can't believe how cruel some people can be
    That is DISGUSTING Them people who did that should be ashamed of themselves+yes the police should of done something may he R.I.P :angel:
    thats terrible :(

some people are just so so cruel.

someone/the police should have said something to them to get them to stop it. i would.
    perhaps they could use the much-vaunted CCTV technology, in tandem with witness statements, to catch and fillet the responsible parties.
    definately :yes:

so sad :( he was only 17, had his whole life ahead of him.
    Sounds really shocking, but I doubt thats the last time something like that will happen. Im suprised its not been shown in the news that often. I have been unlucky enough to see two jumpers (admittedly not the aftermath) and Ive seen scenes like the news reports describe before. Though I never did any of the shouting!
    From what I was led to believe there weren't enough officers available to deal with the young lad AND the crowd, especially the sheer numbers making comments.

The sad thing is, I'm struggling to think of what law they may have broken. There is an old common law offence of causing a public nuisance which I think would possibly cover it, although it's normally used on protestors who close down power plants or people who send thousands of unsolicited letters e.t.c.

Whatever happens, the people who were shouting are callous bastards and I hope that they reap what they sow.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its disgusting - sadly I'm just not surprised.
    Its sick, depressing and down right stupid they should be arrested tbh.
    Now then, this sick cunt who shouted "You're wasting taxpayers' money" at a suicidal person - is your mother proud of you? I mean, over one million sperm and yours was the one that won the battle - there's no justice in the world. Thanks to your stupidity and general cuntishness, there's now a family out there grieving the loss of their son. If it was up to me, your balls would be cut off with rusty scissors, you'd have a red hot poker shoved up your arse and you'd then be thrown off the top of a very tall building. The death of a scrotum like you would be no loss to anyone.

Thanks to an embarrassingly bad education system, a society which has collapsed on its arse, politicians who don't know their arses from their elbows, politically correct bollocks about how we musn't be judgemental of those who choose to follow different "lifestyle choices", we now have a society which actually has people who want to encourage people to kill themselves. How the hell are we decent people even going to take back society from these bastards?
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Now then, this sick cunt who shouted "You're wasting taxpayers' money" at a suicidal person - is your mother proud of you? I mean, over one million sperm and yours was the one that won the battle - there's no justice in the world. Thanks to your stupidity and general cuntishness, there's now a family out there grieving the loss of their son. If it was up to me, your balls would be cut off with rusty scissors, you'd have a red hot poker shoved up your arse and you'd then be thrown off the top of a very tall building. The death of a scrotum like you would be no loss to anyone.

Thanks to an embarrassingly bad education system, a society which has collapsed on its arse, politicians who don't know their arses from their elbows, politically correct bollocks about how we musn't be judgemental of those who choose to follow different "lifestyle choices", we now have a society which actually has people who want to encourage people to kill themselves. How the hell are we decent people even going to take back society from these bastards?

While I totally agree with what your saying, and that its totally wrong what was shouted at this bloke, and im not defending the shouting mass either, but the way you have worded it SG shrouds the fact that the guy was allready up there to jump. Yes obviously he might not have jumped if he hadnt had those people shouting but
    Thanks to your stupidity and general cuntishness, there's now a family out there grieving the loss of their son
    does make it appear to some that its the shouters fault the dead bloke was up their in the first place.

As ive said, im not agreeing with the shouting, just pointing out how easy it is for a story to be twisted.

Edited to add:
    Ok im not sure I cant actually word the above to avoid sounding like im being an inconsiderate cockend. Though Im just trying to point out that by just looking at that quote, that the shouting mass are the ones who are solely responsible, not for his death (as he probly wouldnt have jumped i hope), but for him being up there in the first place.

.....and no SG this is not designed to be a personal attack on yourself.
    People don't stand on the top of buildings just for the hell of it. The sick bastards who were shouting at him to jump must shoulder at least part of the blame for his death. They should be full of remorse and shame for their actions, but I'm pretty certain they won't be. Remember a few years ago that we had someone committing suicide over the Internet? When police checked the records of what had been said, they found numerous people saying things like "come on, get on with it" and things like that. This is basically the same thing, only offline.

These people need to be found and made an example of - and I would be the first to cheer if they were thrown off the buildings as punishment.
    People don't stand on the top of buildings just for the hell of it. The sick bastards who were shouting at him to jump must shoulder at least part of the blame for his death. They should be full of remorse and shame for their actions, but I'm pretty certain they won't be. Remember a few years ago that we had someone committing suicide over the Internet? When police checked the records of what had been said, they found numerous people saying things like "come on, get on with it" and things like that. This is basically the same thing, only offline.

These people need to be found and made an example of - and I would be the first to cheer if they were thrown off the buildings as punishment.

I think you have helped clarify what I was trying to say, by no means were the shouters responsible for the guy or his intentions at the top of the building, but should have shown at least a bit of common sense, if not some decency.

Hmm that could be an interesting form of punishment, maybe the americans might throw people off buildings instead of the electric chair, that way its pretty much instantanious if done from a tall enough height, but they still get the impending sense of doom.
    MrG wrote: »
    ...by no means were the shouters responsible for the guy or his intentions at the top of the building, but should have shown at least a bit of common sense...
    Hmm, how would a sensible person behave at a scene where you had someone who might end up jumping off a building with police negotiators present? Don't know about you, but I'd shut the hell up and let the police do their work. And if I heard anyone shouting poison about how he should "get on with it", I'd be seriously tempted to give the aforementioned nutter a good kicking.
    Hmm, how would a sensible person behave at a scene where you had someone who might end up jumping off a building with police negotiators present? Don't know about you, but I'd shut the hell up and let the police do their work. And if I heard anyone shouting poison about how he should "get on with it", I'd be seriously tempted to give the aforementioned nutter a good kicking.
    Having seen it happen a couple of times before, If Iknew someone was up somewhere and going to jump, I wouldnt hang around to see what the crowds reaction was.
    It seems like every day I discover another reason to lose my faith in humanity. I am utterly shocked that anyone could have said those things.

Did they honestly believe he was just messing around, or did they not care (or even WISH) that he might die?
    Whowhere wrote: »

The sad thing is, I'm struggling to think of what law they may have broken. There is an old common law offence of causing a public nuisance which I think would possibly cover it, although it's normally used on protestors who close down power plants or people who send thousands of unsolicited letters e.t.c.

Surely it's a Section 5 Public Order offence. They were causing alarm and harassment to other people that could hear those comments.

It is quite sickening that people would shout such comments but unfortunately that's the way things are going atm. It's not becoming a very nice place to live.
    i remember that story came out. One of the most shocking things ive read.
    i remember that story came out. One of the most shocking things ive read.

I found it shocking that a case can be thrown out of court because the witness was too honest and believable.
    squeal wrote: »
    Surely it's a Section 5 Public Order offence. They were causing alarm and harassment to other people that could hear those comments.

Which would maybe attract an £80 fine, if the people doing it could even be traced. I'd prefer it if a tougher law could be found first.
    Which would maybe attract an £80 fine, if the people doing it could even be traced. I'd prefer it if a tougher law could be found first.

It is arrestable. If the Police had acted at the scene they could have done them for that if they wanted. As already said though, there weren't enough there to deal with that problem.
    Seems the police were to blame as much as anyone, they should have dispersed the crowd, and arrested anyone shouting to jump.

Are you suggesting that it is the governments fault that these people yelled at him?

Also what do you mean by 'lifestyle choices'? That comes across as homophobic to be honest, although I suspect that isnt what you mean.

As for the case itself, it doesnt surprise me at all, I saw something quite similar in the center of london. Someone was going to jump off a bridge and there were at least 200 people there watching and videoing it on their mobiles - I really have no idea what the hell they thought they were doing.
    From what I was led to believe there weren't enough officers available to deal with the young lad AND the crowd, especially the sheer numbers making comments.
    squeal wrote: »
    It is arrestable. If the Police had acted at the scene they could have done them for that if they wanted. As already said though, there weren't enough there to deal with that problem.
    DG wrote: »
    Seems the police were to blame as much as anyone, they should have dispersed the crowd, and arrested anyone shouting to jump.

:chin:
    DG wrote: »

How did you arrive at that?

Person decides to try and kill himself in the most public way possible.

Police arrive in small numbers to try and help.

Hordes of arseholes arrive and make things difficult.

Police have their hands tied trying to talk the guy down and keep the crowds back.

Person kills himself anyway.

Dispersing a crowd isn't as easy as buttering a piece of toast, if they could have done it they would have.
    If they forced the teenager to his death, even if only verbal, then I'd class it as assisted murder. Let's hope now that we have some CCTV footage and police presence who can back this up.
    If you can get arrested for shouting things at a football match, you'd think you could get charged with something here.

Not that I think they should do. Free speech and all that. I don't think one person's words should be responsible for another persons actions, no matter how much of a twat they're being.
    budda wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that it is the governments fault that these people yelled at him? Also what do you mean by 'lifestyle choices'? That comes across as homophobic to be honest...
    No, and you know full well I wasn't. That said, I'm more than used to the likes of you deliberately twisting my words. Normal people, people who are decent do not shout "get on with it" at a suicidal person who's on top of a building. Common decency would prevent most people from saying that. I believe that anyone who would do that is not right in the head. It's a pity that the police were unable to take a firmer line with these nutters, (due to lack of police on the ground, it seems) but then again, would our legal system have made an example of them? Not bloody likely.

As for your accusation that I'm homophobic, that is so laughable I'm not going to waste my time answering such a blatant lie.
    No, and you know full well I wasn't. That said, I'm more than used to the likes of you deliberately twisting my words. Normal people, people who are decent do not shout "get on with it" at a suicidal person who's on top of a building. Common decency would prevent most people from saying that. I believe that anyone who would do that is not right in the head. It's a pity that the police were unable to take a firmer line with these nutters, (due to lack of police on the ground, it seems) but then again, would our legal system have made an example of them? Not bloody likely.

As for your accusation that I'm homophobic, that is so laughable I'm not going to waste my time answering such a blatant lie.

I wasnt twisting your words, I was pointing out how they sound. When most people say 'lifestyle choices' in that way mean that the public are being reluctantly forced to accept various sexualities. And if you had actually read and quoted all of what I put I did suggest that you werent homophobic.