Home Student Life & Education
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Quitting uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody know the procedure for this?

And does anybody know of a good way to tell my parents because I'm fairly sure they will be livid when they find out?

Ta x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    best thing to do would be to email your personal tutor or head of course, and arrange to go in and have a meeting with them.

after this you'll need to talk to the school office regarding finances, but you'll probably find your tutor or head of course can assist you with this.

first step towards telling your parents is to work out your reason for leaving, perhaps write them down to get your thoughts in order :yes: provided you've thought it through, and you truly believe it's the best thing for you, you parents will come round, despite how livid they may be to begin with!
    I quit uni a few years ago, although I did end up going back to uni (a different uni) and starting a different course. I was very scared to tell my parents..but there must be a good reason why you want to do so. Do you have some sort of plan as to what you are going to do?

I doubt they will be happy if you're leaving just to sit around the house, but if you've thought of something different you want to do and can show them you've thought about it for a long time, then they will accept it, hopefully.

Good luck.
    I don't really know what I'm going to do but I know that I am really unhappy here and I don't think I can last another 4 days let alone 4 years.

As luck would have it, they changed my personal tutor yesterday. No warning either, just an email. My new tutor is a new member of staff :( and I really liked my old one. The course head and I don't get on, she screams at me a lot :( and I've never met the school head, although I know who he is.

Gah.
    As luck would have it, they changed my personal tutor yesterday. No warning either, just an email. My new tutor is a new member of staff :( and I really liked my old one.

If you send your old tutor an email I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing you, despite not officially being your tutor any more :)
    Are you in your first year? Just gone back after Christmas? Are you living at uni or home?
    First year. Yep, just gone back, not that I was too keen to. Living at uni, a good 2 hours from home.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Marina,

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time at university.

Can I just clarify - is it your particular course, the university or the concept of university that you think is upsetting you so much? Because you've said you want to "quit uni"; but I was wondering whether you actually just want to change your course or the university you are attending. Plenty of people change their course or even the university they are attending after their first year.

If you find it difficult chatting to your course tutor, you may want to go and speak to someone at student support / your student union who'll be able to advise you on the procedure and also possibly accompany you to your meeting with your head of department if required.

As exyzed suggests, it might be worth writing down what you are feeling and what is making you feel that way. Quite often when you are asked to explain why you've come to that decision it can be quite intimidating, so if you've got your reasons written down that cane help you remain rational. It will also help you when you look for alternatives - so you know how to avoid the same thing happening again.

Have you told your parents how you are feeling? Perhaps it's best to chat through your options prior to quitting, explaining why you are feeling the way you are.

And having an alternative plan is important. Is there something else you want to study (at college, an apprenticeship?) or do you know of a job you particularly want to do. It will give you something to feel positive about rather than the negative feelings you've had towards your course.

Quitting uni is a big decision, but you're not the first person to do it and you won't be the last. I very nearly quit university in my second year, but in retrospect I'm glad I didn't. Plenty of people can support you through the process, and it's worth using them.

Good luck,

Olly
    Hi Olly.

I'm not really sure that the course is for me. I chose it because I really wanted to do creative writing and I had a choice of English lit or American lit. I chose American partly because the department were a lot friendlier and less pretentious than English on the open day and partly because I didn't think I was good enough for English. I don't really feel much of an affinity with my coursemates as I do not come from as privileged a background as they do and several have looked down on me because of this. My flat is also a problem as nobody talks to each other and a girl in the flat who also does American lit is ignoring me. We had the same lecture on Monday and she blanked me the entire twenty minute walk from our flat to the lecture theatre.

I'm not really sure what I want to do which is a problem, I know. I'd like to be an author or a journalist ideally but I don't envisage that happening. I am tempted by osteopathy or podiatry but I would have to finish my biology A level (only did AS) I also fancy working in certain aspects of fashion ie millinery, corsetry or working with latex but I know that there is a lot of competition for those kinds of jobs/courses and two textiles GCSEs probably won't cut it.

And the fact that I am ill isn't helping.