Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Missed a credit card payment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I accidentally missed a credit card payment. It's sorted now, but a few days late. Will any missed payment go on the credit rating? Is there anything I can say to them? (Such as "I tried to make the payment last week but it must have failed")

Comments

• Options
    It will automatically count to your credit rating but don't worry about it. You could set up a direct debit so that it will always be paid on time.
  • Options
    If you are on some kind of introductory offer such as 0% on balance transfers you might want to check that they will still honour it.

I have a Virgin credit card and when I had a problem last year with a slightly late payment they withdrew the 0% - I rang them and pointed out it had never been mentioned when I took out the card and although apparently it was in the terms and conditions they did agree to put it back on to 0%.

You might want to check now though rather than wait for your next bill to come through!
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I managed to get the late charge removed over the phone, but the bank (Halifax) is withdrawing the 0% interest promotion. I checked and they said nobody has the power to reverse this, including a manager. Is it worth me going into a branch to check for sure - would staff in store be able to do more than over the phone?

If I can't get the 0% back would it be worth me trying to get another 0% card (from a different bank) and transferring over the balance? My credit history was good when I checked it on Experian a while ago, and when I spoke to Halifax they said this late payment hasn't been "sent off" or "marked against me". So will it be marked against my credit at some point, and will it therefore be worth me applying sooner rather than later?

I really can't afford to pay interest on this balance, so I need to get this sorted ASAP!
  • Options
    Apply for a new card, things only get put onto your credit file if they're outstanding for some time.
  • Options
    Cheers for the info dude.
  • Options
    One missed payment is nothing. Most credit card holders slip once or twice and this is usually overlooked. The credit card companies are more concerned over people who repeatedly don't pay on time or don't tell them if they are having any issues paying. I would relax, if I were you. :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    One missed payment is nothing. Most credit card holders slip once or twice and this is usually overlooked. The credit card companies are more concerned over people who repeatedly don't pay on time or don't tell them if they are having any issues paying. I would relax, if I were you. :)
    That's true, but unfortunately I've now lost the 0% promotion! I managed to get a new 0% balance transfer card with Barclaycard, so I can transer the balance to that. To be honest I should have done that sooner, as I have another non-0% balance I can transfer over too.