Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

GBH or ABH

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Looking for any budding solicitors out there to give me some advice. I was involved in a fight back in Nov in which man in was injured and part of his face has suffered nerve damage. I'm in the frame and I'm waiting to get nicked as I know from mates that the police have been asking questions about me and have my mb number. As it was a large fight - do you reckon it's ABH or GBH? I probably did most of the damage and was in the thick of it.

What should I do? a) give myself up, b) hold out and just wait to get called in. I reckon they're gonna call me in and ask me to attend a police station - I';m concerned that they'll start asking me questions but I don't want to answer until I have a solicitor - so should I just 'no comment' from the outset or what? cheers

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    1996Luke wrote: »
    I';m concerned that they'll start asking me questions but I don't want to answer until I have a solicitor - so should I just 'no comment' from the outset or what? cheers

If your arrested you should always get a solicitor else the polive will just take the piss, and until you get one you don't have to answer any questions.

As for handing yourself in? Unless you definately know they plan on bringing you in, I would wait until they try and contact you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Cheers Skiver - good advice, planning on lying low for a bit till they put 2 & 2 together.
  • Options
    Also, 'no comment' sounds like the phrase of a guilty man, if they try to ask you questions without a solicitor present then just say so.
    "I'm sorry, but i refuse to answer any questions without my solicitor present"
  • Options
    If your being questioned with regards to a possible crime that may result in a custodial sentance then they will have to provide a duty solicitor.

If your ever arrested NEVER EVER GO WITHOUT A BRIEF before answering questions.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    And if the injuries were caused as the result of a large fight you could also be charged with affray.
  • Options
    hi
    ok....gbh means grievious bodily harm
    abh means aggrevated harm

In your case it sounds like gbh which in my case is possibly worse i am not a police officer or a solicitor.

You not got a family member to talk about this?

You may just get a caution if it is a first offence? Why did the fight start?
    Have the police questioned you yet?
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »

You may just get a caution if it is a first offence? Why did the fight start?
    Have the police questioned you yet?

Unless you're young it's very rare just to get a caution for GBH.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    And if the injuries were caused as the result of a large fight you could also be charged with affray.

Or worse Violent Dissorder. Something that I know only too well.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    If your being questioned with regards to a possible crime that may result in a custodial sentance then they will have to provide a duty solicitor.

If your ever arrested NEVER EVER GO WITHOUT A BRIEF before answering questions.

Would you say (just for advice's sake) that extends to the 'casual chatter' the PC tries to strike up as well? Cos I've heard often they will ask you in a friendly way certain things in order that they can stitch you up later on.

As to the OP I'd look for some legal advice really.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Would you say (just for advice's sake) that extends to the 'casual chatter' the PC tries to strike up as well? Cos I've heard often they will ask you in a friendly way certain things in order that they can stitch you up later on.

Once you've been arrested or know that they plan to arrest you, do not speak to the police without a brief.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

Not usually, normally everything is only admissible has to be said whilst under caution. The exception is if a suspect makes a "significant statement". ie during or before arrest they say something like "I didn't mean it" or "he had it coming to him" e.t.c.

Once you've been cautioned EVERYTHING you say is admissible in court as evidence, however unless you've said something absolutely damning it's unlikely it'll be used.

Whenever I've been in a car with a detainee I've always kept my mouth shut, as has the officer I'm with. I don't normally have any wish to hear what the person has to say and I don't want to fuck everything up by saying something I shouldn't. Most cops I've met are normally the same, although I expect there will be the odd exception.