Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Want to pay sister's mortgage anonymously

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello All,

I'm new to this site and I have a question that you all may have some suggestions for.

My sis and her husband are really struggling financially right now. I want to start sending money to cover their monthly house payments via a money order to the bank in which they have their mortgage. I have a few issues:

1. How do I find out what company their mortgage is with?

2. How do I find out their monthly payments?

I'm pretty sure they have it with Chase or Bank One.

I know that I am asking some pretty ridiculous questions, however one never knows until they ask!

Thanks

Clatono

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you wont be able to. Youll need bank details.

Maybe send them a postal order or something for the amount with a note saying "for the mortgage" and send it anonymously
    What a lovely thing to do!
    It might happen with the first time they do it, or they might find after a few times of it happening that someone might start asking questions.

Im not 100% sure how postal orders work, but im guessing they have to go cash it at the post office, which means they are going to be having a lot of cash on them, and then when they come to putting it in the bank, they may get looked at.

This isnt me getting paranoid, but if someone asks them to explain where they money came from and they cant answer, it might cause problems. Its something to do with money laundering laws, and while again im not sure about the amounts, sometimes bank staff are obliged to inform their superiors if they see something untoward in respect of the guide lines.

Carrying a lot of cash around these days isnt all that easy. Especially if you cant prove the paper trail, which if you do this and remain anonymously, will be hard for them to do.
    i often get my rent out in cash from my bank and take it to my landladys bank round the corner. I dont see how one months rent or mortgage money is going to look like money laundering
    Depends how much the mortgage or rent is.

Had a friend who withdrew £800 cash from a cashier in a bank, to go in and put the deposit down on something. They accepted it but required him to go back to the bank to get a statement to show where it had come from before they would.
    From the names of the bank I think our friend might be an American, so I don't think postal orders will work.

You might just have to find out what their bank details are and wire them the money, or send a money order (i think that's what you guys call them) in the mail.

Otherwise just send cash, either personally or through a courier.
    I agree...what a lovely thing to do. What a wonderful person you are :)
    MrG is correct, although i'm not sure of American money laundering laws.

To prevent money laundering, bank staff are obliged to report anything they deem 'suspicious' and after regularly checking accounts and stuff, it can soon become obvious what is classed as suspicious.

So, for example, in this case, although the OP intentions are good hearted, if his sister and husband normally pay their mortgage monthly by direct debit and they have their wages paid into their bank account and any benefits they may receive etc, then if / when they either receive regular anon payments, or start paying in large cash sums, then this would raise eyebrows.

In the U.K., this would lead to the person's bank account being monitored, or even frozen by the fraud department!

To answer the question, i know your intentions are good and it's a nice offer, but you should talk to your sister about it and offer your help!
    I think that the best bet is to wire the money across to their account via online banking. Give it enough days to clear so that it is there when the monthly money is due.
    Having worked in a bank they do have to be cautious but I'm not sure they will freeze your bank account over anonymous deposits. Just from experience, like.
    It depends on the frequency of payment, amount and how deposited!

I used to work with our fraud team