Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Breaks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hmm think my last post was one of those that people look at think ' I can't be arsed to read this much' so basically what i would like to ask people is how should I break it to my partner if I want a break, and whatsmore what can you do to try and overcome the temptaion of ringing them and stuff to see how they are and contacting them so much that it ceases to become a break from each other? And I suspect she would be really upset too so how do I cope with that and stick by my decision to take a break knowing that she'll be really upset? Cheers.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'll reffer u to my last reply lol :D
    Grow up, tell her to her face that you want to take a break.

If you end up callig her to see how she is then you don't really want to take a break in the first place and the problem lies somewhere else.
    If you can't accept that it can be difficult to let go, and that it in fact has nothing to do with maturity, then quite frankly, balls to you :)
    When I got serious with my boyfriend I made it quite clear to him that no way would I accept one of those 'I think we need to take a break from eachother' conversations. As far as I'm concerned a break may as well mean the end of a relationship and it's just a cowards way of wanting it all but being too afraid to make it final.

If you want to dump someone then just do it you chicken, otherwise you are just stringing them along while you get your kicks somewhere else!
    Some other people have found that breaks have worked in their relationship, so each to their own. And calling me a chicken? Ouch :(
    Sorry!!

What I mean is - Why do you want a break? Can't you work through whatever it is that makes you think you want one!

What does a break mean to you - does it mean you break up for a bit and you can go off and do your own thing, socially and sexually, with other people. does it mean you still hang out but you just dont be 'in love' for a while?

it makes no sense to me.

Is your girlfriends idea of a break the same as yours? even if it means one thing to you it may mean a different thing to her - how would you cope with that?

thats all!
    shut up byny break does not mean takin time out so u can go off and have sex... to me and most ppl i hope a break means a time apart still goin out wit eachother but jus not spendin as much time together so you can think they can think and it ends up beauitfully in some situations.... dont mean to be rude but i felt that comment was harsh too!
    Re: Breaks
    Originally posted by Museman
    Hmm think my last post was one of those that people look at think ' I can't be arsed to read this much' so basically what i would like to ask people is how should I break it to my partner if I want a break, and whatsmore what can you do to try and overcome the temptaion of ringing them and stuff to see how they are and contacting them so much that it ceases to become a break from each other? And I suspect she would be really upset too so how do I cope with that and stick by my decision to take a break knowing that she'll be really upset? Cheers.

Fair point from the last poster but that's not what Museman is saying is it? He says he won't be phoning her or contacting her. Surely that isn't just seeing less of eachother? BREAK to me means not being a couple for a while and it does seem a bit silly to me.

Perhaps Museman can reply with an exact idea of what Break means to him. ie will he be spending no time at all with his girlfriend?

Too right she'll eb upset because from what I read it means end of contact until Museman decides otherwise, by which time I would't blame the girlfriend if she got out of the relationship all together
    Ah yes, the whole "break" thing. Well, here's my spin on it...

After two years me and my girl took a "break". Temptation being what it is, we never really did take the break, we kinda just lost our official status. Fantastic until she decided she liked another guy and now she's with him. Kiff break i reckon.

Basically...never ever underestimate your human nature, it has a way of screwing things up.
    Shows how much she liked u toast... lol ur toast