Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weight Problem - Needing Help.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, i was wondering if i could get some advise from anyone.

i'm almost 17 and i'm really overweight. i don't mean a few lb's over, i mean a couple of stones. i'm not sure what the average weight for a 16/17 year old is but i am about 16 stones and have been putting on a lot of weight recently.

none of my family are big at all and i wouldn't mind so much but i LOOK really huge aswell, it's embarrasing because my clothes are ill-fitting and too tight.

i've tried to diet but i can't keep it up and i'm too overweight to excercise properly.

i never used to be fat at all but i have put on so much in the last few years. it's getting to the point where i'm grossly unhealthy but i just can't stop.

i'm so embarrassed about it so i can't talk to my parents or friends, can anyone give me any advise?

Comments

• Options
    Whatever you do dont starve yourself. Just try and cut down the amount of junk food you eat. Also try and eat lots of healthy food like fruit and veg, drink plenty of water. I think if you really want to loose weight then you are going to have to do some exercise. It doesnt matter if its just a bit, it will all help. Gradually building up the amount you do is probably the best way. If you dont like the idea of going to a gym you could get a video or just go for a jog each day. Im not an expert on this sort of thing, but i hope this helps a bit. This topic comes up quite often, so look at some previous posts. Dont let it get you down and good luck :):)
  • Options
    I have no idea whether you are a boy or a girl, but whatever.
    Dieting doesn't work. You lose weight in the short-term, and then unless you stick to the diet for the rest of your life (fun, eh?) you'll put the weight back on.
    Healthy eating works, changing your eating patterns and the kinds of food that you eat. It means having a healthy lifestyle, not sweating it out in the gym (unless you feel inclined to when you are more comfortable with yourself) but incorporating exercise into your life - walking, cycling, whatever. Your body is designed to be active, not sit on the bus with pensioners.

If you want to lose some weight, you can. We can't give 'diet tips' here (nor should we), we don't know what foods you like, activities you enjoy etc. What works for others may not work for you. A balanced diet (not of the slim-fast variety) doesn't mean lentils until you resemble a two-pin plug. You can eat chocolate, crisps, whatever - but in that lovely word - MODERATION.

If your clothes are ill-fitting, get some that fit. Don't put your life on hold until you are slimmer. The weight isn't going to srop off - it took months to put it on, it'll take a good while to take off.
    Time will pass whether you decide to do anything or not. You can start off slowly, eat a decent breakfast and nick your next door neighbours dog for a walk.

If you really feel uanble to motivate yourself, find someone who will. Doesn't matter who, but sometimes we all need a kick up the arse to get us started. Support can make all the difference.
  • Options
    Those two are right, and Miss Q's idea of a training buddy is a good one. It's easier to motivate each other rather than trying to do it all yourself. And you may find making a training schedule is useful to keep you on track.

You are never too fat to exercise, but you must avoid over-doing it. Your body is perhaps not used to regular exercise, so don't do too much too early.

Diet is important too. Fruit and veg go without saying, cut down on fatty foods and snacks, and drink plenty of water.

Good luck :)

ps Detailed advice on exercises etc can be found in the Sport & Fitness forum.
  • Options
    Go to your GP to be weighed properly, and get a health check. They will be able to help you find the right diet plan.

Avoid crash or fad diets, they don't work in the long run, and can be dangerous.

Healthy eating stuff here:
    http://www.thesite.org/magazine/specials_body_image/healthy_eating_and_fitness/a_balanced_diet.html