Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

problems with a flat pack

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
brought some flat pack plastic drawers from argos today, and in instructions weren't very clear and i put it together wrongly. By the time i realised, it was already up, and i got part of it apart and now the rest of it is jammed stuck and part of it is broken...

can i take it back and get a replacement or is this all my fault and thus i'll have to buy a new one?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dishonest and unscrupulous people would say take it back and claim it was damaged when you got it.

Better people would take it on the chin and take more care next time.

You can choose who you want to be.
    Mist wrote: »
    Dishonest and unscrupulous people would say take it back and claim it was damaged when you got it.

Better people would take it on the chin and take more care next time.

You can choose who you want to be.

Agreed. I refused to take a water damaged ipod back (which you couldn't tell incidentally) on principle.

Next time I just won't put it in the washing machine.
    or you can check with the store about their return policy...many times they are more concerned with good customer service and just want you to be satisfied!
    If you choose to be dishonest you dont need to contact argos, read your instruction thing, it tells you how to contact them as i had to today as they cocked up on the top of the drawers thing i put together today.
    brought some flat pack plastic drawers from argos today, and in instructions weren't very clear and i put it together wrongly. By the time i realised, it was already up, and i got part of it apart and now the rest of it is jammed stuck and part of it is broken...

can i take it back and get a replacement or is this all my fault and thus i'll have to buy a new one?

Definitely with the "take it on the chin as you cocked up" train of thought. Take it as a lesson learned and buy yourself a new one.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I've tried to find you something clear on consumer rights for this one, but it's not that cut and dry I'm afraid! I think your best bet is to take it back and try and appeal to their better nature - say that you really want to exchange it for a new one, that the instructions weren't clear enough (i.e. putting the blame on them( and that is why you put it up wrong and it got stuck so now you can't take it apart and start again. You never know, they may just give you a new one and put it to one side as faulty. Let us know what they say if you do! Or see if you can just get them to send you duplicate parts if you can fix the existing drawers without needing a whole new set - on the instructions leaflet there should be a part that says 'for missing parts call this number'...

Pearly
    I would take it back and say it was broken when you bought it. If they refuse then fair enough, if they give you a new one, happy days! :D
    Pearly wrote: »
    I've tried to find you something clear on consumer rights for this one, but it's not that cut and dry I'm afraid! I think your best bet is to take it back and try and appeal to their better nature - say that you really want to exchange it for a new one, that the instructions weren't clear enough (i.e. putting the blame on them( and that is why you put it up wrong and it got stuck so now you can't take it apart and start again. You never know, they may just give you a new one and put it to one side as faulty. Let us know what they say if you do! Or see if you can just get them to send you duplicate parts if you can fix the existing drawers without needing a whole new set - on the instructions leaflet there should be a part that says 'for missing parts call this number'...

Pearly

When I worked for Professional Cookware we had people return expensive wooden chopping blocks that clearly state you must treat them with oil and must not wash them in the dishwasher. Surprise surprise, they would return them when the wood had expanded and split and said it was like that when they bought it.

Of course, we can't prove otherwise, and it would make us look bad if we argued with them, so the shop just has to cough up and account for those kind of customers. The damage to the reputation would have been worse. Same with the computer industry, so many times people break their CPUs by fitting them incorrectly and try to send them back. What can the shop do?
    Talking of computer equipment...

We discourage usage of refilled printer cartridges. HP, Canon and Epson will not honour messy printheads if the causes were refills or compatibles. Argos may not notice but we can. If we did honour replacements, it means that we are stuck with dozens of unsellable/unrepairable printers.

Laptop computers that have been spilled into often mean a new motherboard. A dropped laptop usually requires a replacement screen. Both parts cost around £300. Some manufacturers do offer accidental cover though. Acer offers their 'Acer Advantage' programme which offer 3 years accidental damage cover.

As with the Argo flat-pack - you can give it a try TT. Explain to them that you didn't find the pack instructions very clear, and see if they'll honour that. However, they may turn around and say that you should have contacted the manufacturer's support line before making commitments / risks.
    Send a phone back (example) for repair and lie about how it happened, and then they found out it was water damage, which can be found out due to residues and whatever, they might turn around to you and go, bye bye.
    i've sort of fixed it but its still got drawers on different sides. so for the mo i'll make do. if it really annoys the shit out of me i'll buy another. i can't get it apart anyway to take it back to the shop...
    On a similar note (so not to create a new thread)..

I've got an Argos lamp that needs replacing. If I have the receipt but not the original box, will that be replaceable?
    if its broken then should be
    Cheers TT. Just to follow up - I came with lamp, instructions and receipt and was able to replace it there and then without needing its original box.