Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Long Distance Relationships.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    chauffeur wrote: »
    hiya

This is my first post on these boards..so be gentle with me:blush:

ive been following your posts...

im in a similar situation myself..the same as you..but with a guy ive been talking to on and off for 4 years (yeah long time lol)

weve been mates for a long time now..and hes been having many reallife issues..and ive been there as a close friend..chatting on msn...phoning texting..emailing etc etc..and like a fool..i fell for him.
    so i decided to tell him...and guess what..no answer off him.:razz:
    i know now i should have kept it too myself..but i didnt
    i was actually expecting this..and ive decided to keep my head down and keep my distance..until he decides to contact me.

i just want to say...be careful...dont let your feelings get in the way like mine did...just try and be friends..

Ok I'll be gentle. LOL. First of all welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. My feelings are already involved but am trying to be careful. Im just trying to be a good friend to her right now, since she is somewhat involved and don't know what she really thinks of me. Don't think this problem of her and I will be resolved quickly, we will just have to see I guess. Thanks for the advice though. And good luck with your situation.
    In my opinion two people who have never met cannot have what I'd call a real relationship.

I had a friend online who I knew for about two years, then she ended up coming to uni in my home town. We met and got to know each other quite well, then got together.

I would never have considered it a relationship until we'd met in person several times, despite any attraction I had before that. I think it's possible you're just infatuated with this girl, and should try to take a step back and think rationally. I also think given your feelings, you shouldn't be trying to interfere with her current 'relationship' as you obviously have a vested interest. Let her make up her own mind, and in the mean time don't worry so much.
    In my opinion two people who have never met cannot have what I'd call a real relationship.

I had a friend online who I knew for about two years, then she ended up coming to uni in my home town. We met and got to know each other quite well, then got together.

I would never have considered it a relationship until we'd met in person several times, despite any attraction I had before that. I think it's possible you're just infatuated with this girl, and should try to take a step back and think rationally. I also think given your feelings, you shouldn't be trying to interfere with her current 'relationship' as you obviously have a vested interest. Let her make up her own mind, and in the mean time don't worry so much.

I suppost two people who have never met cannot fall in love over the phone. Im sure of that. But she told me what she feels for this other guy and what he has said to her. They tell each other I care so much about you, Im crazy about you. And he has even told her that he loves her. I don't believe that too be possible at all.

I am being rational. Why do I sound crazy or insane? Haha. LOL. Im trying to be as realistic as I can in this situation.

Im willing to let her make up her mind about this situation. Im not trying to interefere with there relationship. She asks for my advice sometimes and I give my honest opinion without any biased. Ok heres one thing that came up and you can be the judge if im being biased or not. I don't think I am.

So her and him have made plans to meet up later in the year. She gets this crazy idea that her and him are going to stay at her place for a few days. It would only be him and her there. They have never met and this would be there first live meeting. I told her I don't think so this isn't a very good idea. Who knows if this guy is telling you the truth. He could do anything to her with no one around to help her.
    I am being rational. Why do I sound crazy or insane? Haha. LOL. Im trying to be as realistic as I can in this situation.

Because it's evident you're viewing the situation through incredibly rose tinted glasses. You interpret every bizarre thing in your favor and are condemning her 'relationship' with the other guy when he could as easily be you. It wouldn't be any more logical if your roles were reveresed.

This girl is planning to meet her 'boyfriend' and at the same time is planning to meet you. Doesn't that ring any bells whatsoever??

I'm willing to bet that secretly she's LOVING the attention and is ready to milk it for as long as she can. The fact you think it's noble of her to not cut you out after you told her how you feel is absurd. Trust me, I've been in her situation and I wasn't doing the guys any favor but simply boosting my own ego. Girls can play guys mercilessly just like guys can play girls, we're not saints.

I think you need to work on establishing self respect for yourself. Girls do not dig guys that behave like floormats.

chauffeur:

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I've known a guy for 8 or 9 years but we've never met. For a while he kinda idolized me and like a fool I thought there might be something there. It ended very badly and we can barely talk anymore, it's really strained. Although he always seems to turn to me when in trouble which I'm cool with.
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Because it's evident you're viewing the situation through incredibly rose tinted glasses. You interpret every bizarre thing in your favor and are condemning her 'relationship' with the other guy when he could as easily be you. It wouldn't be any more logical if your roles were reveresed.

This girl is planning to meet her 'boyfriend' and at the same time is planning to meet you. Doesn't that ring any bells whatsoever??

I'm willing to bet that secretly she's LOVING the attention and is ready to milk it for as long as she can. The fact you think it's noble of her to not cut you out after you told her how you feel is absurd. Trust me, I've been in her situation and I wasn't doing the guys any favor but simply boosting my own ego. Girls can play guys mercilessly just like guys can play girls, we're not saints.

I think you need to work on establishing self respect for yourself. Girls do not dig guys that behave like floormats.

I don't think that Im interpretting the situation in my favor at all. Did you not read the last paragagraph of my last post and not see what is wrong with that. She could put herself in a situation she couldn't handle, potentially. If I was the other guy I would just expect to go and spend time together during the day and not hang out at each others place just to make her feel secure and comfortable. After all you can talk to a person over the phone all you want but theres a chance that they may not have been telling you the truth.

Well this guy isn't her boyfriend as you have said. As alot of you have already said there is nothing between two people if you have never met, which is the case here. She hasn't decided yet if she's going to meet up with him or not, she is uncertain about the whole idea. As far as meeting up with me later in the year. If her and this other guy show any indication after they have met that there going to see each other I would call off that trip to see her right away. They also made plans to meet up once a month if the first meeting goes well. If that happened I think I would just say goodbye to her and wish her well. Really what would the point be in just talking to her when I knew there wasn't anything going to happen in the near future. Saying goodbye to her would be hard for me but it would be the right thing to do I think.

Yeah she probably likes the attention she's getting from two different guys. I'd like to think though that she isn't doing this just to make herself feel better but that she actually likes to talk to me. Because I enjoy talking to her.

I have alot of self respect for myself. Im not being anyones doormat. I'll just give her the time and space she needs to decide what she is going to do. If being a doormat implies that one who trys to be as good as a friend as possible and willing to give her the time she needs to decide on things then yes I am a doormat. Really she has been talking to this guy for awhile now and then less then a month later I come along I can't really expect her to forget all about that and go with me, I just don't see that as realistic.

Thanks for the advice jaloux. For the first time Im seeing how this whole situation is going to play out and what I should do of certain things happen. In the beginning I was very optimistic that this would somehow eventually work out for me. But the cold reality is that there is a very high chance this isn't going to work out and Im prepared for that now.
    In the beginning I was very optimistic that this would somehow eventually work out for me. But the cold reality is that there is a very high chance this isn't going to work out and Im prepared for that now.

My man i think you have cracked it! Not trying to turn you into a pessimist but that's the attitude you should have in your situation. Keep thinking along those lines and just enjoy what you have not what you don't.

Good luck
    mrniceguy wrote: »
    My man i think you have cracked it! Not trying to turn you into a pessimist but that's the attitude you should have in your situation. Keep thinking along those lines and just enjoy what you have not what you don't.

Good luck

Hey Mrniceguy.

Thanks I will do that. And whatever happens in the next little while, happens I can't do anything about it.
    hello,

Whilst she makes her mind up you maybe missing other opportunities to meet nearer people to start a friendship with. What I do not understand is why she cannot make her mind up...is she bucks fizzed? lol...can she really keep this bubble going for so long? Or will she eventually turn around and let the bubbles out and it all fizzes out?
    Internat chat is just virtual reality and in the real world there are some really good people out there that you could be concentrating your efforts on. How long can all this go on and make you wonder what if? I would like to see it work out for you but you have to make decisions as I feel that you maybe just being strung along and she has you wrapped around her little finger. How do you know as well who she meets up with, chats with, even dates? It may sound harsh but you have to live in reality and not something that is at the moment just virtually nothing apart from chatting. I have spoken to lots of people via the net in the past. I even met my husband via the internet...he lived almost 100 miles away from where I used to live and now we are happily married. So I am not trying to say that it may not work out. Look at how things are and assess in your own mind how long this can go on for?
    Jaloux wrote: »

chauffeur:

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I've known a guy for 8 or 9 years but we've never met. For a while he kinda idolized me and like a fool I thought there might be something there. It ended very badly and we can barely talk anymore, it's really strained. Although he always seems to turn to me when in trouble which I'm cool with.

hiya

well we are talking again...which is ok..but like your situation was..im struggling to continue like we where before...hes trying his best..but i feel such a fool and total idiot now ( i know i am :P)conversation is strained..especially on my side...oh well...you live and learn i guess:D
    becks27 wrote: »
    hello,

Whilst she makes her mind up you maybe missing other opportunities to meet nearer people to start a friendship with. What I do not understand is why she cannot make her mind up...is she bucks fizzed? lol...can she really keep this bubble going for so long? Or will she eventually turn around and let the bubbles out and it all fizzes out?
    Internat chat is just virtual reality and in the real world there are some really good people out there that you could be concentrating your efforts on. How long can all this go on and make you wonder what if? I would like to see it work out for you but you have to make decisions as I feel that you maybe just being strung along and she has you wrapped around her little finger. How do you know as well who she meets up with, chats with, even dates? It may sound harsh but you have to live in reality and not something that is at the moment just virtually nothing apart from chatting. I have spoken to lots of people via the net in the past. I even met my husband via the internet...he lived almost 100 miles away from where I used to live and now we are happily married. So I am not trying to say that it may not work out. Look at how things are and assess in your own mind how long this can go on for?

Yeah while I wait for her to make her mind up I could be missing out on other opportunities near me. Before she came along I really wasn't looking for anyone, I was happy with the way things were. After awhile I decided that I wanted this.

Is she bucks fizzed? Don't know what you mean by that. I think I can imagine what it is though. Trust me its not about the money, she lives comfortably, lets just say that.

How long can the bubble last? Either way I don't think anything is going to be decided until she goes up and meets with the other guy. And see how they get along in real life. She has said that if every thing goes well after the first real life meeting they would see each other as much as possible after that. If that ever happened I think I would just say goodbye to her and wish her well. I don't think I could really stay connected to her after that since she has already made her decision. I want to be more then friends with her and I think it would be pointless to hang around to see if it works out or not because I could be waiting for a very long time, could be months even years.

I don't know who she meets up with, chats with or even dates. I really don't think she's seeing anyone in her area or even going on dates. She goes to uni full time and has 2 part time jobs now. There really isn't much time for anything else. Oh and we always talk on im or the phone in the early evening till late evening. I suppose the evening isn't the only time a person can go out on a date with someone but every evening she's talking to me.
    Last night after she gets finished from work, she is at home and im's me. So were talking and everything is going good. But the conversation seems to be getting slower and slower. She claimed that the im system kept on booting her. Its possible because on my messenger list its always showing her logging in and out. She uses a mobile to log onto the im system. I don't know how good or how bad a mobile is for talking on im. But I have been on im and have been booted a few times but nothing like whats going on with her. But even if a person does get booted it should only take a minute or two to log back in right? If that.

After awhile I just got fed up with it. The last message I sent her last night went something like how dumb do you think I am, you message me and hardly say anything to me, message me back when you actually wanna talk with me and said good night to her. She never did send a response back maybe due to the fact that I had logged off and went to bed. About the time of night she im'ed me last night is usually around the time that the other guy starts texting her. She just usually tells me and I let her go after that. Then again most of the time we are usually talking on the phone when that happens. I don't know its just one of those things when your talking to someone on im and you just don't feel that you have there complete attention and that they are talking to other people while they are talking to you.

I had asked her a couple of questions and it took quite awhile for her to get back to me. I had even forgot that I had asked. So eventually much later she gets back to me with the answers. I was confused though, it didn't make sense to me at the time. I just though it was a miss send and it wasn't supposed to be for me. After that I sent her my last message and went to bed. As I lay in bed I remembered what I had asked her and she was just giving me the answeres to those questions. I felt like such an ass. Guess I will have to apologize to her later on. Think she was talking to someone else though, just thought it was rude that she started talking to me and ignores me after that.

Got up early today because I had stuff to do on the computer. And wouldn't you know it there she is on im. She didn't even message to say hi either. She was probably talking to the other guy. I didn't message her either. If she had messaged think I would have not said anything. Im sure her and I will talk later on tonight.

All Im trying to say is that if she wanted to talk to someone else thats fine just say so. For me it was late and theres no need to be rude. Funny thing though. When Im on the computer in the afternoon I log into im, usually don't talk to anyone, just keep it open in case someone comes on and wants to talk. This is the funny thing she is still logged in and her status shows as busy. She is in school right now and never logs in on the afternoon. I think she wants me to message her. I just say that because of what happened last night, could be coincidence or maybe she is talking to someone else. I don't know.
    After what I said to her last night she hasn't attempted to contact me all day. Originally I thought she had texted me last night by mistake and I got all mad but she had really just answered a couple of questions I had for her from earlier. But still its rude and impolite to be talking to someone and not say anything for awhile to them. She says that she even treats her close friends like this.

She's probably working tonight. She was last night but texted me on her break. She didn't do that tonight. I miss talking to her tonight even if it wouldn't be for a long time. Maybe later when she gets home.

I think maybe Im a little bit in the wrong here but so is she. What she is doing is much worse then what im doing. If she texted me right now I think I would talk to her.

I don't think I was too harsh with her last night, just said what I thought. Im going to let her make the next move just to see what she does and how long it takes her to do it. Im sure her and I will be talking again very soon.

Like I said in an earlier post I was logged into messenger today and she was practically logged in the whole time today, that is while I was on the computer. It was quite awhile though, multiple hours. This is unlike her, she is rarely logged in that long. Think she wanted me to say something to her but I didn't. She can contact me first and we can go from there. Just wondering if she is bugged about this whole thing as I am.
    There has been times where ive been on msn with my phone and its taken an absolute age to reconnect due to bad signal.

But on the otherhand, i dont understand how or why you are getting so worked up about someone you havnt even met yet, who has the same kinda ting going on with another guy.
    MrG wrote: »
    There has been times where ive been on msn with my phone and its taken an absolute age to reconnect due to bad signal.

But on the otherhand, i dont understand how or why you are getting so worked up about someone you havnt even met yet, who has the same kinda ting going on with another guy.

Really it takes that long to reconnect when you use im on a phone. Interesting, didn't know that. I did believe her when she told me that though. I just didn't think it could take so long to log back in.

Why am I getting so worked up about this? I just find it all irritating and annoying, thats all. The other night when all this happened we were messaging each other and that was about the time that the other guy texts her. So I figured she was talking to him as well. Wasn't mad about that. I've always told her if you have to go just say so. Theres no reason to keep me online as well if your not going to say anything, plus it was late that night and I wanted to go to bed. I just think thats the polite thing to do, thats all.
    Well not so much a case of taking a long time to connect, more so of having connection issues and it not letting me on.
    As Im writing this post she is logged into im again. Her status message shows up as being busy. Why would you log into im if your too busy too talk. LOL. This time of day she is in class. When I logged in I signed in as invisible. She doesn't know that Im on.

I find it quite odd that she is logged in during this time. Because she is never logged in this time of day. Either something has happened with the other guy or she is waiting to talk to me.

Im starting to get weak now though, think Im gonna give in soon. Yeah Im a fool. I do want to start talking with her soon though. She didn't message me yesterday. Think she was working last night. Either she is really mad or doesn't know what to say, think its the latter though.
    As Im writing this post she is logged into im again. Her status message shows up as being busy. Why would you log into im if your too busy too talk. LOL. This time of day she is in class. When I logged in I signed in as invisible. She doesn't know that Im on. .

Ok thats just a bit creepy logging on as invisible so she cant see you, its like your spying on her or something.

She might be logged on as busy because she is erm busy? Ever thought of that?

How can you assume something has happened with this other guy or she wants to talk to you. Other than this other guy and yourself, im sure she has other things going on in her life.

I think you are being very assumptive about this women, and reading far far too much into things.
    Ok thats just a bit creepy logging on as invisible so she cant see you, its like your spying on her or something.

She might be logged on as busy because she is erm busy? Ever thought of that?

How can you assume something has happened with this other guy or she wants to talk to you. Other than this other guy and yourself, im sure she has other things going on in her life.

I think you are being very assumptive about this women, and reading far far too much into things.

Didn't want to make it sound creepy, sorry. Just did so cause Im doing something on the comp and didn't want to be disturbed.

Im sure she is busy. I know she is at school right now and probably in class. And yes I did think she logged in as busy because she was actually busy.

She is a very busy person and I don't think im assuming too much by saying that she probably wants to talk to the other guy or me.

Yeah I can read too much into things sometimes. But as I said before why would she log in at this time of day when she is busy. Since I have known her she has never come on this time of day, so I figure something must have happened. Or it could be just coincidence.
    Didn't want to make it sound creepy, sorry. Just did so cause Im doing something on the comp and didn't want to be disturbed.

Im sure she is busy. I know she is at school right now and probably in class. And yes I did think she logged in as busy because she was actually busy.

She is a very busy person and I don't think im assuming too much by saying that she probably wants to talk to the other guy or me.

Yeah I can read too much into things sometimes. But as I said before why would she log in at this time of day when she is busy. Since I have known her she has never come on this time of day, so I figure something must have happened. Or it could be just coincidence.

As you just said yourself that you log in as invisible as you dont want to be disturbed, why cant she log in as busy? You say shes a very busy person, which supports that.

It possibly is coincidence, how often are you on msn? She could be online for quite a lot of the day that you dont see.

How old are you both if you dont mind me asking?

Also with the whole finding the ex on the internet thing recently, and this, are you sure you dont just fall very easily for people?
    Ive read all of this from the beginning again which took bout half an hour lol.

My 2p would be just try not too get too obsessed over this girl you barely know. Still keep in contact if possible and talk when she wants to or when you want to but dont completly shut her out.

Good luck mate
    As you just said yourself that you log in as invisible as you dont want to be disturbed, why cant she log in as busy? You say shes a very busy person, which supports that.

It possibly is coincidence, how often are you on msn? She could be online for quite a lot of the day that you dont see.

How old are you both if you dont mind me asking?

Also with the whole finding the ex on the internet thing recently, and this, are you sure you dont just fall very easily for people?

Im not saying she can't log in as busy, she is free to do what she wants. I just find it weird that all of a sudden within the last couple of days she has started logging in when I know she is busy. I was just wondering why, maybe theres a reason for it.

Im on msn a good portion of the afternoon and also in the evening. We usually don't talk during the day as she is very busy and I don't want to bother her. Yeah she could be online for a good portion of the day that I don't see. She could be signing in as invisible also. Usually we talk on msn briefly in the evening and then I call her.

She is in her mid twenties and Im in my early thirties.

The thing with finding my ex on the internet. Basically I just wanted to contact her and see how things were with her all this time that had passed. I sent her a letter saying hi and she sent one back. The next one I sent I just explained what I had been doing all this time and then she sent one back saying what she had been up to. Since the two letters I have sent her, I haven't sent her one since. And I don't think I'll be contacting her too much in the future if at all. I could see it as being kind of weird for her talking to an ex now considering she is now engaged. Thats fine with me, all I wanted to find out was how things had gone with her during this time. I know that her and I weren't really going to be close friends now anyways. I wasn't falling for my ex again if thats what your saying.

Do I fall easily for people? I would have to say yes. I've talked to lots of people from online before and nothing like this has ever happened before. Im a realistic person and wouldn't try finding a girl in another country because I know how hard it could be to make that kind of relationship work. Something was different this time though. Early on I realized what was happening to me that I was starting to like her. She seems like the kind of girl that im looking for.
    The thing with finding my ex on the internet. Basically I just wanted to contact her and see how things were with her all this time that had passed. I sent her a letter saying hi and she sent one back. The next one I sent I just explained what I had been doing all this time and then she sent one back saying what she had been up to. Since the two letters I have sent her, I haven't sent her one since. And I don't think I'll be contacting her too much in the future if at all. I could see it as being kind of weird for her talking to an ex now considering she is now engaged.

Specifically the "I could see it as being kind of weird for her talking to an ex now considering she is now engaged" Is something you had to have pointed out to you.
    Ive read all of this from the beginning again which took bout half an hour lol.

My 2p would be just try not too get too obsessed over this girl you barely know. Still keep in contact if possible and talk when she wants to or when you want to but dont completly shut her out.

Good luck mate

Only half an hour, thats pretty quick, LOL. Haha. I don't think Im obsessed with her, up to now its been really nice getting to know her.

Im not completely shutting her out, I do want her and I to start talking again. It was really a silly situation to begin with, getting a little angry because she took long to message me back.
    Now thats surely a bad thing if your getting angry over the fact shes taking a long time to message back, as you have said, she has this other guy on the go, and her own life. She may or may not have a genuine reasonwhy shes taking a long time to reply, and its really her business if she doesnt have a good reason, after al she chooses to talk to you, she doesnt HAVE to.
    Specifically the "I could see it as being kind of weird for her talking to an ex now considering she is now engaged" Is something you had to have pointed out to you.

Yeah I had to have it pointed out to me. I just didn't think it was a big deal at the time. For me it was nothing too major. I guess I didn't take the time to stop and think how things might look or feel on her end. I can now see the big picture with that now and maybe I shouldn't have contacted her in the first place. But I don't see what this has to do with my other problem though.
    Yeah I had to have it pointed out to me. I just didn't think it was a big deal at the time. For me it was nothing too major. I guess I didn't take the time to stop and think how things might look or feel on her end. I can now see the big picture with that now and maybe I shouldn't have contacted her in the first place. But I don't see what this has to do with my other problem though.

It points out quite clearly that at times, you dont stop and take a step back to look at the bigger picture. Which seems to be what you sometimes do in regards to this long distance thing you have/dont have going on. Which you also seem to be quite posessive about. What happens if she turns around and says nothing romantic is going to happen between you and her, and she just wants to be friends? What are you going to do then?
    Now thats surely a bad thing if your getting angry over the fact shes taking a long time to message back, as you have said, she has this other guy on the go, and her own life. She may or may not have a genuine reasonwhy shes taking a long time to reply, and its really her business if she doesnt have a good reason, after al she chooses to talk to you, she doesnt HAVE to.

If your talking to someone its just plain rude and impolite just to leave the other person hanging there without saying anything. Whether or not she has a good reason its not a nice thing to do to someone. Yeah she doesn't have to talk to me if she doesn't want to. I would never treat her like that.
    If your talking to someone its just plain rude and impolite just to leave the other person hanging there without saying anything. Whether or not she has a good reason its not a nice thing to do to someone. Yeah she doesn't have to talk to me if she doesn't want to. I would never treat her like that.

Not everyone is perfect, im afraid to say.

Have you perhaps thought at some point you may be far far more interested in her than she is in you, and this may be clouding your vision?
    It points out quite clearly that at times, you dont stop and take a step back to look at the bigger picture. Which seems to be what you sometimes do in regards to this long distance thing you have/dont have going on. Which you also seem to be quite posessive about. What happens if she turns around and says nothing romantic is going to happen between you and her, and she just wants to be friends? What are you going to do then?

Im not possessive about it. I've already thought about what I would say if she just wanted to be friends. If that happened I don't think I could continue talking with her on the phone. As much as that would hurt. I don't know if this sounds selfish, I hope not but I want to be more then friends with her and she knows that think it might be better if her and I went our separate ways if that ever happened and wish each other good luck.
    Not everyone is perfect, im afraid to say.

Have you perhaps thought at some point you may be far far more interested in her than she is in you, and this may be clouding your vision?

No one is perfect. Im not expecting her to be, just a little courtesy. I think it might be that way right now, me being more interested than she is in me. Hopefully it won't always be that way between her and I. Don't think thats clouding my vision at all.