Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pets Welcome

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a bit ahead of time, but I'm looking to move to London - either in line with starting a PGCE course at a London university, or else off my own back to further my drama career, in around August/September time.

Basically I'm trying to look at the availability of rental properties (1 bed NOT flatshare) that will accept pets. At the moment (but trying not to be too optimisitic!!) I'm looking at moving somewhere with my bf. I have a Nanday Conure - which is a small parrot basically. They're known for their loud squawks to welcome the day and say goodnight - otherwise he's fairly good and quiet. That's his only vice!

I've tried petfriendlyrentals.co.uk but nothing in my price range is available. I know it's ahead of time but I've come to realise that pet friendly places are few and far between and wanted to know if any one knows of any property search engines that might help me out. Gumtree is great for properties but 'pets welcome' as a keyword doesn't filter the 'No' usually infront of it.

Thanks anyone!

Comments

• Options
    your best bet is to ask individually if pets would be negotiable or ask the loetting agency to help you find something
  • Options
    :hyper: :hyper:
  • Options
    Do you keep the bird in a cage? Or can you keep him in a cage when you have an inspection? Most places have no pets rules because of potential mess/damage to the property. I shared with a guy when I was a student in a couple of houses who had a budgie and the landlords never had a problem with it. I'm just asking about the cage as landlords seem to feel happier if they are pets which can be kept in a cage (although you can probably keep him out of the cage when they're not in your flat which will be most of the time :) )
    The best thing to do is to ask them really when you go and view propeties. We asked one when we moved in as we had two hamsters and a rat and the landlord said that the no pets rule basically means no cats/dogs who are more likely to do a lot of damage. I'm sure most people would be fine with a parrot :yes:
  • Options
    Do you keep the bird in a cage? Or can you keep him in a cage when you have an inspection? Most places have no pets rules because of potential mess/damage to the property. I shared with a guy when I was a student in a couple of houses who had a budgie and the landlords never had a problem with it. I'm just asking about the cage as landlords seem to feel happier if they are pets which can be kept in a cage (although you can probably keep him out of the cage when they're not in your flat which will be most of the time :) )
    The best thing to do is to ask them really when you go and view propeties. We asked one when we moved in as we had two hamsters and a rat and the landlord said that the no pets rule basically means no cats/dogs who are more likely to do a lot of damage. I'm sure most people would be fine with a parrot :yes:

He has a cage which he is in most of the time - he is kept busy with toys but I prefer to allocate him 'flight time' otherwise he'll get lairy and noisy if he's out 5 hrs one day and 20 mins the next, and for most of it he'll do a turn about the room and go straight back to his cage. Considering my mother completely re-decorated my room with cream carpets and I put posters on the walls behind and to the side of his cage to catch any flicked food and a board with a black bag over it for the floor under his cage (wipe clean!) that has remained spotless and I'm pretty vigilant with keeping it clean! I'm just finding it hard being at a distance from London, trying to find animal friendly properties without visiting. Noise worries me a little, he has an awesome squawk but it's very infrequent. I just don't want to leave him with my mother if I don't need to. Thanks for your response :) It was more helpful the poster above you :rolleyes: :thumb:
  • Options
    He has a cage which he is in most of the time - he is kept busy with toys but I prefer to allocate him 'flight time' otherwise he'll get lairy and noisy if he's out 5 hrs one day and 20 mins the next, and for most of it he'll do a turn about the room and go straight back to his cage. Considering my mother completely re-decorated my room with cream carpets and I put posters on the walls behind and to the side of his cage to catch any flicked food and a board with a black bag over it for the floor under his cage (wipe clean!) that has remained spotless and I'm pretty vigilant with keeping it clean! I'm just finding it hard being at a distance from London, trying to find animal friendly properties without visiting. Noise worries me a little, he has an awesome squawk but it's very infrequent. I just don't want to leave him with my mother if I don't need to. Thanks for your response :) It was more helpful the poster above you :rolleyes: :thumb:

He sounds like a lovely pet :) I definitely don't think it would cause a problem with most landlords, so I would go and see some propeties and ask the question. Birds are very clean to keep, and I don't think landlords would be worried about noise, as long as they are not living there :cool: They are more concerned about damage to their property, so they shouldn't be too worried about that :) They might ask you questions about his cage etc, I guess. Also, once you have lived in one place, you could get a recommendation from that landlord about how clean he is to take onto your next place :thumb:
    I've never had a landlord take exception to hamsters, rats or budgies, one even managed to do an inspection and didn't see the three cages in the living room :shocking:
  • Options
    He sounds like a lovely pet :) I definitely don't think it would cause a problem with most landlords, so I would go and see some propeties and ask the question. Birds are very clean to keep, and I don't think landlords would be worried about noise, as long as they are not living there :cool: They are more concerned about damage to their property, so they shouldn't be too worried about that :) They might ask you questions about his cage etc, I guess. Also, once you have lived in one place, you could get a recommendation from that landlord about how clean he is to take onto your next place :thumb:
    I've never had a landlord take exception to hamsters, rats or budgies, one even managed to do an inspection and didn't see the three cages in the living room :shocking:

Ah ha - yeah he is a good boy for the most part. I know a lot of uni friends who have snuck in the little critters and landlords have bypassed them. That is a really good idea about getting recommendations as I go along though - he has a life span of potentially 30 years and he's 5/6 months old now so, as I'm not especially minted rentings going to be the way forward for a while - it's all very grown up stuff which I'm still getting my head around as even 'renting' at uni it's all pretty much done for you! I've even looked into bird sitting for when I want to go away...animals really do dictate our lives sometimes!

Thank you once again!