Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

America sides with Syria and Saudi Arabia...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
America after all, is such a beacon of freedom...

Even a "liberal" like Obama is happy to give centre stage to a homophobe...

:no:

Comments

• Options
    If I were the EU, I would create different tiers of trading and diplomatic links with other nations based on their human rights records. And then lump the US with the the group of lower-tier nations it deserves to be in.

Seriously, if I were an alien considering visiting Earth, my choices for a civilised nation to land in would be very limited. I'd sooner give Earth a miss and hope in 500 years time things might be better...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Seriously, if I were an alien considering visiting Earth, my choices for a civilised nation to land in would be very limited. I'd sooner give Earth a miss and hope in 500 years time things might be better...

There's always Sweden :p
  • Options
    Or Japan.
  • Options
    America sides with Syria and Saudi Arabia...

Refusing to sign it because parts of it are incompatable with sections of state law does not mean siding with Saudi Arabia and Syria.
  • Options
    With friends like The Grauniad, who needs enemies? A few weeks ago, they were all shouting loudly at their long-suffering (and dwindling number of) readers about how brilliant Barack Obama was. Reading their coverage of the US Presidential Elections, you'd have been half-forgiven for thinking that Obama was the messiah who'd been sent down from the heavens to fix everything that was wrong in the world. Now the first moment they do something which doesn't fit in with the Grauniad's hopelessly outdated view of the world, they start to pour scorn on him. Still, what else can we expect from The Grauniad? Over the summer, they were trashing Gordon Brown like there's no tomorrow. He was as good as finished, proclaimed Polly Toynbee. Suddenly, her message changed and she now believes that he has "saved the world". Nice to see their usual inconsistency continuing on so many issues.

This is a total non-story. You can tell that it's almost Christmas by the lack of real news at the moment. There's a pastor in America who apparently compared abortion with the Holocaust? Wow, as if such a comparison has never been made before! There's a pastor in America who believes that gay marriage is wrong? Goodness me, this is hold the front page stuff. I'm half-expecting that tomorrow's edition of The Guardian will have "EXCLUSIVE: Bear has shit in woods" across the front page.

Fucking hellski...
  • Options
    Though one could argue that a state which forces its young men into the army whether they want to or not and one which still has the death penalty may also have their issues...
  • Options
    Or Japan.

Japan? :confused: Japan is a very long way behind Europe on women's rights and LGBT stuff... And a UN investigation suggests they've got a serious problem with racism. And they've been pretty dodgy about acknowledging aspects of their past: despite pressure from Amnesty International, the EU and others, Japan still won't take responsibility for the abuses of "comfort women".
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    With friends like The Grauniad, who needs enemies? A few weeks ago, they were all shouting loudly at their long-suffering (and dwindling number of) readers about how brilliant Barack Obama was. Reading their coverage of the US Presidential Elections, you'd have been half-forgiven for thinking that Obama was the messiah who'd been sent down from the heavens to fix everything that was wrong in the world. Now the first moment they do something which doesn't fit in with the Grauniad's hopelessly outdated view of the world, they start to pour scorn on him. Still, what else can we expect from The Grauniad? Over the summer, they were trashing Gordon Brown like there's no tomorrow. He was as good as finished, proclaimed Polly Toynbee. Suddenly, her message changed and she now believes that he has "saved the world". Nice to see their usual inconsistency continuing on so many issues.

This is a total non-story. You can tell that it's almost Christmas by the lack of real news at the moment. There's a pastor in America who apparently compared abortion with the Holocaust? Wow, as if such a comparison has never been made before! There's a pastor in America who believes that gay marriage is wrong? Goodness me, this is hold the front page stuff. I'm half-expecting that tomorrow's edition of The Guardian will have "EXCLUSIVE: Bear has shit in woods" across the front page.

Fucking hellski...

Two quick points SG:

1. It's not just the Guardian reporting this: there are in fact more than 2,000 articles on it.

I guess they are all hopelessly out of touch lefty media outlets eh? Or is it different when the Guardian reports it?

2. You appear to see as a bad thing that a newspaper that has given support to somebody dares to disagree with them and make some critical comments. I don't know if you are aware of the core values of journalism and impartiality, but I'd much rather read a newspaper prepared to criticise someone when it doesn't agree with their actions, than a newspaper that is little more than a propaganda pamphlet and which will only speak positively of the people it supports, regardless of what their actions might be. Wouldn't you?
  • Options
    No real surprises from those Middle Eastern countries where you could be stoned to death for wearing a bit of eye liner. :rolleyes:

Shame on America though. Makes me feel proud to be British. :thumb:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Suddenly, her message changed and she now believes that he has "saved the world".

..and Gordon let it get to his head.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5stftd5qv3M&feature=channel_page