Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Scallys, Chavs & Hoodies

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have never labeled anyone on apperence alone as i get to know the person or persons and even when i get to know the person, i never try and judge a person in any way as i am a fairly easy going guy actually.
    Its pretty startling seeing alot of people jumping in to defend chavs scallies etc.
    I'm guessing these people have rarely, if ever had a rough encounter with one, it can make you biased against the whole clique.
    I like to think once they get abit older, they'll grow up and realise that mindless vandalism and violence is not without its repurcussions.
    Maybe this is just the violent group of our generation, everyone has had them, punks and mods for example.
    Its still jarring though, that people will stick up for a group that mainly consists of aggressive people.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Fluxxed wrote: »
    Its pretty startling seeing alot of people jumping in to defend chavs scallies etc.

Nobody here is defending criminal behaviour.
    We're just pointing out that those that put too much faith in sterotypes and pigeon hole people on appearance are narrominded.

If somebody commits a crime then I see they're a criminal. I don't draw the conclusion that everybody that look like them are criminals too.

Emos cut themselves, Goths are dirty and all Chavs mug old ladies. It's bullshit.
    Weekender Offender 
    Oh of course not, I don't like stereotypes, but in this case, its kinda true, I know a few chavs that are pretty nice blokes, and I'm sure there's lots about.
    I just don't like it when people have constantly been shown what they're capable of and still find some way to stick up for them, and in some odd cases.. find them attractive
    Oh of course not, I don't like stereotypes, but in this case, its kinda true, I know a few chavs that are pretty nice blokes, and I'm sure there's lots about.

So despite evidence to the contrary, you still think it's acceptable to generalise?
    Seems a bit dopey to me.
    I just don't like it when people have constantly been shown what they're capable of and still find some way to stick up for them,

Who are capable of?
    Again I can't make it any clearer, is it a hard concept to grasp?. Nobody's defending criminality.
    I'm the one defending the right for people to be judged on their behaviour and what they're individually 'capable of'.

Of course people make judgements on a apearance but to do it to the extent that you and many others do is anti social behaviour.
    and in some odd cases.. find them attractive

Well who you find attractive is largely subjective and so is rather irrelevent.
    Weekender Offender 
    I think it's important to bear in mind the difference between perceptions and reality. If you put every news story together and counted everyone involved you'd still find a tiny percentage of young people involved in criminal behaviour.

No one likes to realise they are projecting their own fears onto another group - but it's something you should consider looking at. A group of people who don't like you isn't the same thing as millions of people running around constantly committing crime.

And as other people have mentioned, if people choose to isolate themselves in their own social groups then you'll hardly ever meet the vast majority of people from other social scenes.

End of the day it's hard not to project everything one person, or a small group of people, has done to you onto an entire group of people - doesn't mean it's not worth trying though.

Might also be worth considering what effect being told you're a criminal because you're from a certain area or dress a certain way has upon a group of people.
    I am glad some are on my side on this issue. I am aware that there will be people who have had bad experiences, as i myself have personal experience of when i got beat up by some bad-lads, but i do not blame all young people for a thing 2 or 3 lads did to me. Labeling all young people who hang out in groups is bad - and bare in mind i'm only talking about my own oppinion there-.

A lot of the blame is put on the yonger generation but as i said earlier, even older people can be nasty sometiemes (and i know that through personal experience of working in a day centre for old people) but i don't judge all old people on a tiny few nasty old people. I think the majority of the problem is we are much less tollerant of others in the modern day age.

I know when i was growing up in the 1980s - 1990s i hung out with a large group of Girls and Lads but all we did was hang out in the park playing football and having a laugh or maybe going to the Youth Centre and playing pool, table tennis.

The government says that the 'problem' doesn't have a solution, but to the government i have the perfect solution: STOP CLOSING DOWN THE PARKS, YOUTH CENTRES and put into action a plan for funding things like activity centres such as Skateparks, Motorbike rally-x centres or something like that or maybe start a summer car mechanics scheme for young people to do cars up.

Nobody, not me or anyone on here can say they've been good all their lives? Nobody can tell me they didn't hang round in groups when they were young guys or girls? I fully understand the problems some people have and believe me, i have had more than my fair share of problems with (some) younger people, but as i said, i am talking about other people's judging which, personally i DO feel is wrong as i firmly believe in peoples right to do (almost) what they want - as long as it's above board and leagal of course -

I am supporting the Scallys, Chavs, Hoodies, Boy / Girl Racers, Chavettes and also 'Ladettes' as well as some Skinheads and other sub-cultures because i genuinely believe in them, it is not purely on the fact i happen to find Scallys / Chavs attractive, that is not the actual point. The point is that i try and help people no matter who they are or what gender they are.

I mean no harm in what i say and i know there have been cases on TV about some 'Thugs' who have done some very, very bad things and to them i say that they deserve punishment, but because of the actions of one or two 'bad people' all other young people who dress in a special way or act in a certain way are labeled 'Yobs' or 'Hooligans'..To me that is wrong and as i said, that is why i will ALWAYS Support people like the types i have mentioned.

Some may hate me for deffending Scallys / Chavs, Hoodies etc..but at the end of the day we all have a thing in the UK of 'Freedom of speech' and that is all i am doing is excersizing my right as an individual to comment on this. I mean no offence to anyone, and what i have said IS straignt from the heart, trust me on that one.
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    To be honest, I hate the rich posh bints more than I have issues with neds.

Why?
    Why?

They dont put out :lol:
    I must start asking what's the common definition of a scally versus a chav versus a hoodie? ;)
    Skive wrote: »
    So despite evidence to the contrary, you still think it's acceptable to generalise?
    Seems a bit dopey to me.

Who are capable of?
    Again I can't make it any clearer, is it a hard concept to grasp?. Nobody's defending criminality.
    I'm the one defending the right for people to be judged on their behaviour and what they're individually 'capable of'.

Of course people make judgements on a apearance but to do it to the extent that you and many others do is anti social behaviour.

Well who you find attractive is largely subjective and so is rather irrelevent.

Sorry, but I don't come here to post my opinion and be called dopey, and that its also irrelevent.
    Im not saying its right, but if you make a bit of a dopey comment, then, there you go.
    Meh, like every stereotype, a repugnant minority give the majority a bad name.
    MrG wrote: »
    Im not saying its right, but if you make a bit of a dopey comment, then, there you go.

How was it dopey? The only way I see it would be possible is because I went back on my word to not seem like a whining old man.
    :banghead:
    I just don't like it when people have constantly been shown what they're capable of and still find some way to stick up for them, and in some odd cases.. find them attractive

Thats the comment that you made, that someone referred to as dopey.

You dont like stereotypes yet in this case its kinda true? Its attitudes like that which get young people annoyed and pissed off. That stereotype isnt true, its a shame the papers will never write stories about when things go right and young people do nothing wrong, but thats life innit.
    Why?

Because they made a year of my life absolutely miserable. They put me through hell because I wasn't rich enough to hang out with.
    Sorry, but I don't come here to post my opinion and be called dopey, and that its also irrelevent.

Well first you say don't like sterotypes. Then you say the chav is a fair sterotype despite you having first hand experience to the contrary. :confused:
    Weekender Offender 
    I have had no bad experiences from the 'yoof' culture. I couldn't even point out a chav, emo whatever. Most of the kids in our neighbourhood seem quite nice people. There is one in particular who did a few stupid things a couple of years ago. Nothing illegal, but it was enough to give him a bad rep, and to be honest, I looked down on him for that. He has done much to repair this opinion of him in the last year or so, but there are a few people who still look down on him. My neighbour is constantly complaining about him, his music's too loud, he's hanging outside with other kids making a racket when she's trying to get to sleep. This is bollocks! When she complained about the volume of his music, she 'proved' it by inviting him into her house to show him that she could hear it through the walls. To do this, she had to turn the telly off otherwise it would be inaudible!

There is always someone who gives a certain group a bad name and it is so easy for the media to say that they did this because they are of a certain group. This is nothing new, a hundred years ago if a black man comitted a crime in the neighbourhood, all blacks were criminals. This is a slightly different thing, since chavs choose to be chavs, yet people can't choose their skin colour, but it still applies. I think it is always best to get to know the individual and judge whether they are 'good' or 'bad' from that, rather than appearance. People can also change and mature so it's worth giving even the individual the benefit of the doubt after they have been 'bad'.
    J.C.R Salter has hit the nail on the head and i 100 percent agree. The thing with people is that once someone gets a reputation for being bad, it tends to stick in peoples memory rather than the good things they have done which i do absolutely find very unfair. A Scally or Chav isn't always going to be a Scally / chav, but because of that reputation, people are sometimes going to pre-judge.

I am not a person to judge anyone and i truly and honestly believe in giving any person a fair go in life. I am most deffinately a 'people person' and love talking to people, whether they are classed as Scally / chav or not.

I have worked as a volenteer at a youth club which was predominantly male members and to be honest, it was the best few years of my life as i made a LOT of now very good friends because of it. I worked there from 1989-1997 and often used to hang out with some of "The Lads" afterwards and most times the most trouble we had was from the older-people complaining about us, which was totally unjustified. A Point i must add is that just because some O.A.P's complained about us doesn't make me dislike ALL O.A.Ps. I have respect for most people in society (within reason, of course) and as i said, i give people a fair go in life. Fair enough, if they treat me with contempt, then i do the same as a friend of mine once said (and i quote) "Treat those as they treat you" and i firmly believe that is a good quotation to remember.
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    Because they made a year of my life absolutely miserable. They put me through hell because I wasn't rich enough to hang out with.

Hmm, tarring a large group of people with the same brush just a little?
    to Thunderstruck: i think that 'tarring people with the same brush' is what a lot of people do nowadays. I've had good and some very, very bad experiences with some younger and some very old people, but i do not look upon all younger people or older people as bad, criminal or whatever because of what 1 or 2 have done, Some people in life are going to argue against whatever anyone puts. Life is, unfortnatley not all 'Black & White' and has a fair few rays of colourful characters in it.
    krissy Boy wrote: »
    to Thunderstruck: i think that 'tarring people with the same brush' is what a lot of people do nowadays. I've had good and some very, very bad experiences with some younger and some very old people, but i do not look upon all younger people or older people as bad, criminal or whatever because of what 1 or 2 have done, Some people in life are going to argue against whatever anyone puts. Life is, unfortnatley not all 'Black & White' and has a fair few rays of colourful characters in it.

Apart from the first sentence here, I'm not quite sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

Tarring people with the same brush is essentially stereotyping which belies ignorance and narrow-mindedness.
    The actual thing i was trying to give an example of how sometimes it's not always young people who are the ones causing the problems. Scallys, Chavs and Hoodies DO have a bit of a bad reputation i know. but what i am trying to support here is the fact that it's not always the Scallys, chavs and Hoodies that cause the problems. Sometimes its older people confronting young people that can be the major problem.

I must also add that i appologise to anyone who has genuinely been the victim of the tiny minority of gangs, Scallys and / or Chavs that are bad.

The origional point i made in the first part of this posting (on Page 1) is that you can't always judge from the way a Person dresses or acts. Some young people ARE Bad, nobody can change that, but for 99.9 percent of young people of all ages, they just want to hang out with their mates without all the 'old farts' complaining about mates hanging out together.

The original poin in the first part of this posting (on page 1) was that i am in SUPPORT of all good lads / girls who consider themselves scally, chav, hoodie, EMO, Skinhead, boy-girl racer. It was and is a subject i really do feel VERY Passionate about (not because i happen to be attracted to Scallys or Chavs either, before anyone says anything) but i genuinely feel that Scallys, Chavs, EMO, Hoodies or whatever have had too bad a time with the slagging off by those on TV / Radio and i for one am proud to support anyone who considers themselve Scally, Chav, EMO, Hoodie, Skinhead, Boy-Girl Racer. That's my view point and as a free citizen of the UK i am entitled to my oppinion, whether people agree with me or not, that is THEIR right to do so.
    do you really need to say all the different names for them when addressing them every single time? lol
    Yes i can see what you mean, but believe it or not, i am NOT perfect and i DO make mistakes
    Bad reputations yes, all of them deserve it? No!
    krissy Boy wrote: »
    The actual thing i was trying to give an example of how sometimes it's not always young people who are the ones causing the problems. Scallys, Chavs and Hoodies DO have a bit of a bad reputation i know. but what i am trying to support here is the fact that it's not always the Scallys, chavs and Hoodies that cause the problems. Sometimes its older people confronting young people that can be the major problem.

I must also add that i appologise to anyone who has genuinely been the victim of the tiny minority of gangs, Scallys and / or Chavs that are bad.

The origional point i made in the first part of this posting (on Page 1) is that you can't always judge from the way a Person dresses or acts. Some young people ARE Bad, nobody can change that, but for 99.9 percent of young people of all ages, they just want to hang out with their mates without all the 'old farts' complaining about mates hanging out together.

The original poin in the first part of this posting (on page 1) was that i am in SUPPORT of all good lads / girls who consider themselves scally, chav, hoodie, EMO, Skinhead, boy-girl racer. It was and is a subject i really do feel VERY Passionate about (not because i happen to be attracted to Scallys or Chavs either, before anyone says anything) but i genuinely feel that Scallys, Chavs, EMO, Hoodies or whatever have had too bad a time with the slagging off by those on TV / Radio and i for one am proud to support anyone who considers themselve Scally, Chav, EMO, Hoodie, Skinhead, Boy-Girl Racer. That's my view point and as a free citizen of the UK i am entitled to my oppinion, whether people agree with me or not, that is THEIR right to do so.

I totaly agree krissy Boy. People are just too too quick to judge these day's (about Scallies or Chavs or whoever). No-one can tell me ALL Scallies and chavs are bad - that is just NOT true :nervous:
    Chavi wrote: »
    I totaly agree krissy Boy. People are just too too quick to judge these day's (about Scallies or Chavs or whoever). No-one can tell me ALL Scallies and chavs are bad - that is just NOT true :nervous:

Dude. Post. Dead.
This discussion has been closed.