Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

gyno issues and i haven´t a clue!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
an american friend of mine from uni just called me up with an unusual gyno issue that i couldn´t help her with. I´m normally clued up about things like this but all my suggestions seem to not be helping.

She had sex for the first time in six months a couple of days ago, and this is her regular partner (just flown over for xmas). She has suddenly become really sore on her labia and such, and one has become really hard and inflammed. She also has little lumps which seem like bathelins glands but they have blistered. she also has a bit of discharge which is very muscousy. she´s been spotting for a couple of days.

i would have told her to go to the doctor, but she´s a mature student (she´s in her early 50´s), and no longer has any medical insurance and is completely skint, so she can´t go to the doctors cos she´ll have to pay shit loads.

i know this is kinda against the rules, but she is desperate, and can´t go to a doctor. i said it might have been an STD, but no std i know of has that quick an incubation period, and thrush would kind of fit, but she´s in quite a bit of pain so i´m not sure if its that. I thought it could have been BV, but again why the swelling?

any ideas?

thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thrush can be pretty painful, according to my doctor. He thought that it was thrush that was causing my pain during sex. It's worth looking into.
    it can, but thrush doesnt usually blister
    it can, but thrush doesnt usually blister
    Very true, sorry >.<. I am half asleep and was just pointing out that thrush can be damn painful. Still think it might be worth looking at to see if treating it alleviates at least some of the symptoms.
    Allergic reaction to something? Lube, condoms, spermicide on the condom, showergel...
    If she can't go to a doctor is there much use in us diagnosing her over the net? Can she buy over the counter antibiotics?

Thrush is a possibility, it can cause lots of soreness, broken skin, lumps, bumps and whatnot. If she's going to have to try a process of elimination with OTC treatments Id say eliminate thrush first.
    Allergic reaction to something? Lube, condoms, spermicide on the condom, showergel...

I reckon this is the case. Surely only an allergic reaction would make the symptoms appear so quickly.
    I go to the gyno uninsured and a yearly exam with lab work runs around $150 so getting her checked and labs, if that was even needed, would most likely be even cheaper. Plus, if you talk to billing you will more than likely be able to set up a payment schedule if need be.

They also do gynocological stuff at free clinics.

When it comes to the lady bits, I'd definatly make the exceptions to visit a doctor.

I would also suggest http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ to her. For very cheap you can get insurance... the super cheap ones won't cover much, but you never know if you'll need it, accidents and emergencies happen! I've gone a long time without insurance offered through work and for $25 a month I at least had the peace of mind I wouldn't have hundreds of thousands in hospital bills just in case something were ever to happen.

Or perhaps her school has some sort of health insurance plan, most do.
  • Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Why don't you put your friend's symptoms into the self help guide at NHS Direct and see if they can come up with something?
    This makes me glad we've got free healthcare over here! But as Simba T Lion says, you are never alone even in countries like America - there must be free clinics or at least advice websites like TheSite.org that could help her, surely?
    I'm sure it's just lovely for her to have you as a sympathetic ear, if nothing else.
    I *think* she can still get emergency treatment on the NHS even if she isn't an EU citizen - so i would suggest she tries to go to casualty or a family planning clinic. I know that my friend's dad was over from the states and needed treatment and did not get charged anything. Also i seem to recall that everyone on my masters course got free NHS treatment no matter where they were from by just registering at the local doctors.

It would probably save the NHS money in the long run to treat her for free rather than running the risk of her randomly sleeping (unlikely i know) with lots of english people who they would then have to treat.

It sounds really nasty and something she needs to get treated before it gets worse and causes all sorts of other problems. I would also like to mention that its slightly irresponsible to travel to another country without adequate insurance.
    just an update...they went away after her taking some homopathic stuff and lots of rest. she thinks it was either shingles or barthelinistis, which sounds about right...

it may have just been a reaction to the antibiotics she was taking the week previously...
  • ElenaElena Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Hey there :wave:

Eek! That doesn't sound too great. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, but your friend really should get checked out.

If she's still at university, it's highly likely that there'll be a free STD clinic that she can visit. She should check that out as soon as she can. If she's in England, NHS Direct is the way to go. If not, she might find it helpful to visit the discussion boards at MedHelp. Someone there should be able to point her in the right direction.

Good luck!

S x