Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We have mice in our place.
Naively we thought it was just one. Scared the living hell out of me. I hate it. Caught it in a conventional trap (sorry, not humane - but it did the deed). Put the trap up again just in case there were more, and then today came back to see the cheese we had put in was gone but nothing was trapped.

We have a high-pitch device in the kitchen. Should I get one for my room as well? What else can be done?

My philosophy is that I am paying rent, the mouse isn't. I shouldn't have to sleep in my housemates room cause I am disgusted by it. Also I don't want it to chew through my stuff - and generally I just hate hate hate having it around. It freaks me out, and puts me on edge.

Please help :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get a cat.
    don't leave dirty plates and food lying around on counters for days (not saying that you do), this attracts them in the first place...but now they are in you either get a cat like mist says or call the exterminator.
    I would contact your landlord and tell him or her and hopefully they will be able to help get rid of them...as they are not very mice oh! I meant nice...
    I think our flat is so shit that the mice are just killing themselves. We found one crushed beside the fridge and one stuck in a cupboard. It was genuinely stuck onto the shelf. Oh well!
    make friends with the mousey mouse - they are too cute.
    Put a device in your room. Hoover daily. Package any sort of food in sealed containers. Don't keep ANY food in your room or anything that will attract them.

Peppermint oil and pepper are supposed to repel them I think. You can sprinkle them along the skirting boards.

They're a bugger to get rid of though..especially in winter and in terraced houses.
    Get a gun and shot the buggers :thumb:
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Get a humane trap and release them :yippe:

That's the best way, I think =]
    In my experience humane traps dont work, and the spring traps are pretty rubbish too. Poison is the best way forward. Oh and make absolutely sure that you arent leaving any food out.
    If you do manage to catch any humanely, you would have to take them a long way away from your home as they quite easily find their way back to their patch and you obviously want rid of them for good.