Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

If you use Clinique, read this!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had to share this:

I started using the Clinique 3-step skincare products about two years ago, but found another face wash and moisturiser I preferred, so stuck with step 2: the clarifying lotion (coloured water in the tall bottle).

However, during a facial the other day, I was told it contains acetone - that's the stuff in nail varnish remover! Apparently they use it to clean the counter in department stores and everything, and most of the staff wouldn't put it near their face. It strips your skin of all its natural oils - even the good ones - and makes it hyper-sensitive. It also took off my full nail of varnish in a few seconds.

I was so shocked as I thought Clinique was the purest brand you could get - I'm so glad I found out. Shame my aunt bought me a massive bottle over the summer... I guess I won't be stealing my mum's nail polish remover for a long, long time.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's quite scary.
    On an infomercial it shows you what it does to a polestyrene plate, it actually breaks through it. Imagine what it does to the skin.
    It will obviously be severely diluted compared to the stuff that is used to burn through things.

Basically its a solvent, im pretty sure most other brands have some form of solvent in them too?
    i used clinique a few year back while i was on my honeymoon as it was one of the few brands i found in dutyfree. Anyways, my skin was previously a little sensitive but it held up ok against breakouts. But, as soon as i started using it mmy skin turned horrible. Needless to say one of the very few reasons i was glad to be home was being able to sort my face out.
    Whenever someone asks me for skin care or makeup advice, it's usually a problem with their skin because they use Clinique.

People somehow believe that because it's Clinique, it must be the best thing out there, well it's not. My makeup tutor has told me so many things about Clinique, that I now pass on the same advice; don't touch it with a barge pole.
    I think a lot of people think because they are paying quite a bit of money then it's going to be fantastic but it's not always the case.
    Thank God I can't afford these things!
    That totally explains it! I bought this off ebay the other month (thinking I was buying from a high quality brand) and used it once...my face tingled like mad so much that I had to immediately wash it off. I've tried a few other products from Clinique and haven't been that impressed (but at least they didn't give me as bad a reaction as the clarifying lotion). Wish I had read this first and saved the money!

P.S. I'm now using Clarins and can recommend their products. Any one else got any other brands they know and love?
    EW!!! thats so vile, glad I know that now. Dont know how they have the cheek to charge £14 a bottle for it either.
    Re: Clinique

As a matter of fact many different toners include that substance, just diluted down to a safe level. If the product wasn't suitable for skin, then why is clinique one of the most well known brands with thousands of dedicated customers world wide? And most importantly founded by dermatologists - surely they know a thing or two about skin care?

The 3 step skin care system consists of four different skin types ranging from very dry to oily; it's so important to get skin typed as using the wrong product - just like anything else - can have negative affects on your skin. It is possible that you were using the wrong toner suited for you, or that you were using the product incorrectly as it does act as a exfoliant in a liquid form.

I work for the clinique brand, and from personal beauty experience I know that many beauticians will slag off other brands simply to promote their own.

Sorry I just don't understand how clinique can be viewed as poor skin care when so many people suffering with sensitive skin trust in us.
    i like clinique :(
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Everyone knows that nail varnish remover is excellent for spots :thumb:

Is this a joke or serous?

I have a bottle of the Number 2 - must have had it though for 5 or 6 years at least and it's still half full - I forgot I even had it until I saw this post .. anyway reason I have a bottle and was using it was because I used to find it would help reduce dark acne scars

Certainly not a product I'd want to use everyday but does have it's uses once in a while
    Well whatever it contains it does the job on my skin, i don't get half as many probs as i used to.
    Yeah i agree with above.

I always have spots, seemingly regardless of what i use, a whole variety of soaps, various spot fighting products

So thought i would "splash out" and get a proper skin care solution, got the Clinique 3 step solution for men and it made it twice as bad, i spoke to a skin care advisor and explained what i had been using, how i had been using it and explained it had been for a few months and it had just made it worse and she advised using two of their anti blemish solutions

So went for it thinkin it would be worth the cost if i finally had nice skin! but nope made it even worse!

Now just using Clerisal Ultra face wash and its back to the "best" its been in a long time

But even has a complete skin care novice, when i first used the step 2 solution (the face scrub thing) i could tell it was harsh stuff! to be honest though even if you wash for several minutes then use that face scrub, you can still see the dirt it picks up on the cotton wool!
    the only people i know who get on with clinique have severe acne.
    Clinique 3-step system 2 is without a doubt the best and most magical 3 step potion required to achieve perfect skin. I am a former actress, and looking perfect is necessary for being in front of the cameras, and perfect skin is a must,-- so Clinique 3 step program, when I use it-- miraculously in seconds repairs any flaws I may have and restores my skin to a youthful and soft appearance. It heals any kind of break out in seconds, by moisturizing just the right parts to balance that magical perfect look you need to be in front of an audience or camera. In real life how would you not want the same effect? To look and feel as good as a movie star. I say in my many years in show business, I would not- could not- live without it.
  • StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Going to close this thread now as it's quite a few years old, feel free to start a new thread if you'd like to :yes:
This discussion has been closed.