Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How Much Is That Doggy In the Window?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya!
My boyfriend and I are thinking about getting a dog. We've been thinking of getting one for a while now but we both know that it's not the cheapest venture in the world. We have the time for one, but we're not sure about whether we have the money for one. We'll be thinking about it after I graduate, so I'll have a semi decent job (fingers crossed) to pay for it.
How much on average does it cost per month to keep a dog? How much per year does insurance etc tend to cost?

Comments

• Options
    It would depend on what kind of dog you were looking to get. Obviously big dogs will eat a lot more than little dogs. I'm not really sure how much food is because I don't buy it, but it works out quite a bit cheaper to buy in bulk and I think you'll find it will be cheaper to buy from pet shops rather than supermarkets.

Incidentally, you should look at www.dogpages.org.uk. It's a rescue website and they do homechecks and whatnot all over the country. I spend far too much time looking at that website though :(.
  • Options
    I sooo want a dog, a little pug dog :heart:
    But yeah they can be expensive and hard work! We used to have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and because she was pure bred she had every illness under the sun that was known to the breed :( . Cross breeds/mungrals are much hardier and less suseptable to breed illnesses. But make sure you get dog insurance...it is the best thing ever! We payed £16 a month through our vets and it really was money well spent especially as our dog was on over £2000 worth of medicine a year and you never know what can happen!

If you get a dog from a home or shelter they generally offer to pay all or part of the cost for them to be spayed/neutered which is a good thing :yes:

I'm not sure about dog food prices but I know if you go to B&M's or cheap shops like that they do quite good food such as Butchers Tripe etc

Also you need to think about haircuts...if it has a long coat it may require regula hair cuts through the year and also their nails cut.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    If you get a dog from a home or shelter they generally offer to pay all or part of the cost for them to be spayed/neutered which is a good thing :yes:

The last two dogs we've had, they were already done before we got them.
    Also you need to think about haircuts...if it has a long coat it may require regula hair cuts through the year and also their nails cut.

:yes: Our dog has really long fur, but trying to cut it is a nightmare. He does get brushed every so often, which helps with that. If you get a ig dog, you may not need to cut their nails, because running around will help with that.
  • Options
    our dog probably costs us about £5- 10 a month in dog food. Shes never really ill as shes a crossbreed so dont really have vets bills, although did once when she ate part of a hoover
  • Options
    Shes never really ill as shes a crossbreed so dont really have vets bills

:thumb: that's why we got moggies.
  • Options
    Shes never really ill as shes a crossbreed so dont really have vets bills, although did once when she ate part of a hoover

Yup, my little hardcore Collie X everything-under-the-sun brute of a dog has never been to the vets afaik, even though she's had her fair share of painful incidents (she tried to eat a hedgehog once...) she doesn't even notice, whereas our greyhounds have been in and out several times.

Saying that, I would still love another Border Collie because up until she was poisoned by something she ate and she died and not including the time she ripped her paw pads to shreds, I don't remember any incidents where she went to the vet.

I miss my doggy :(. I really can't wait to move to a proper house rather than at uni or a flat in the city so that she can come and live with me.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    But make sure you get dog insurance...it is the best thing ever!

:yes:

Although bear in mind that circumstances may crop up from time to time where you'll be stung for vet bills even with insurance, so you need to account for that, especially as they age. My seniorpup damaged both hind legs and needed a double knee replacement, which would have cost somewhere in the region of £8000. This was covered by her insurance (thank god!), but now neither of her hind legs can be insured at all, even if whatever happens to them is unrelated to the original knee problems. Also means the excess on the policy has doubled, and the actual premium has quadrupled. And her beefy pain meds cost £90 every 3 months.

Another thing to think of is the job/time thing. My pup lives with my retired parents now, because I ended up with a 9-5 job (after swearing I never would - needs must!), and my hubby works 9-5 too, so leaving her for all that time wouldn't be fair. You may have the time now, but dogs live for up to 18 years. Do you know what you'll be doing in 18 years? Just another thing to consider.

And then there are kennel fees/finding a dogsitter if you want to go away, or even have a long day out without the dog. It's not mega - ours is about £12 a day, and they're great with her, (and all her many health problems!) but it's an extra cost.

None of these are reasons not to have a dog. Dogs are ace. But they are a massive commitment, so you need to cover all bases before you get one :)
  • Options
    our dog probably costs us about £5- 10 a month in dog food.

£5 - 10 a month??? Freakin' hell! That's cheap. My little dog costs me about £7 a week and then I also have vet insurance.
  • Options
    actually i was thinking she probably doesnt even cost that.
    She eats dried food - wagg - £2/3 for 3kg and that probably lasts her a fortnight, sometimes longer.
    She does eat things the babies drop at every opportunity though
  • Options
    Olive, I never even considered this:
    "dogs live for up to 18 years. Do you know what you'll be doing in 18 years?"
    This is a very good point. I don't see myself doing anything drastic with my life but I don't even know what I'm doing next year! What I do will depend on what jobs I can get with my degree and if I get onto my postgrad. But 18 years is a very long time.
    We wouldn't be looking at a big dog. Probably something beagle-ish. Or just a beagle! My boyfriend wants a bloodhound but they're the sickest dogs there are, they're so inbred!
    At least I can see myself managing a dog, but it all obviously depends on what work I get (if any) after I graduate. It's good to know that it's an option that is doable!
    Thanks guys!
    You've all made me jealous of your doggies... I can't wait to go home for Christmas to see my baby! She's 8, but she's still my puppy. :heart:
  • Options
    I think you should get one of these. Just because Rich won't let me have one. Or a Saluki, because he won't let me have one of those either.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    We wouldn't be looking at a big dog. Probably something beagle-ish. Or just a beagle! My boyfriend wants a bloodhound but they're the sickest dogs there are, they're so inbred!

My doggy's a beagle :heart: They're lovely, and pretty sturdy for purebreeds, but they are prone to obesity (due to being REALLY greedy) and then they have all the fat-related problems. Hollydog's on a super-low-calorie diet, but she can still smell an abandoned cheese sarnie in the park from 500m :chin:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    My doggy's a beagle :heart: They're lovely, and pretty sturdy for purebreeds, but they are prone to obesity (due to being REALLY greedy) and then they have all the fat-related problems. Hollydog's on a super-low-calorie diet, but she can still smell an abandoned cheese sarnie in the park from 500m :chin:

My boyfriend's beagle passed away recently. She'd been his childhood dog, and I think that's why he's so keen to have another one. It broke my heart to see how upset he was!
    His other beagle, however, is quite overweight. She has to take medicine for it and she's on a diet too. She eats *everything*. I mean, really, she will put anything in her mouth! She's had to go to the vets several times for eating random objects!
  • Options
    Aye, that sounds familiar. In her time she's eaten two cricket balls, an entire KFC bucket (including the bucket) and a whole shoe.

:no:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Aye, that sounds familiar. In her time she's eaten two cricket balls, an entire KFC bucket (including the bucket) and a whole shoe.

:no:

You wouldn't think that they'd have enough space in those little bodies!!
  • Options
    My dog costs practically next to nothing. We buy a huge bag of food which lasts her about 3 months or more. She's never been ill apart from when a dog tried to eat her but the vet bill for that was only £100 and apart from the odd present she gets she's very cheap to keep.

Jack Russells all the way! :D
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    My dog costs practically next to nothing. We buy a huge bag of food which lasts her about 3 months or more. She's never been ill apart from when a dog tried to eat her but the vet bill for that was only £100 and apart from the odd present she gets she's very cheap to keep.

Jack Russells all the way! :D

Jack Russells are cute, but I wanna have a dog that I can throw about and fight with!
  • Options
    Get a collieeeeeeeeeee :hyper:. Or a springer. They're so rewarding and SO clever. You can do stuff like agility (which my fatso brute is AWESOME at on the odd occasion she gets the chance to go round a course) and they're so much fun, but if you train them correctly, they know when it's time to stop and calm down.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Get a collieeeeeeeeeee :hyper:. Or a springer. They're so rewarding and SO clever. You can do stuff like agility (which my fatso brute is AWESOME at on the odd occasion she gets the chance to go round a course) and they're so much fun, but if you train them correctly, they know when it's time to stop and calm down.

My doggy at home is a springer. I love her to pieces. She's amazing fun and super clever and she knows when and where she's allowed to go crazy and when she isn't.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    My doggy at home is a springer. I love her to pieces. She's amazing fun and super clever and she knows when and where she's allowed to go crazy and when she isn't.
    We used to have a springer, and he was gorgeous. Loved his ball, loved jumping in the pond, even when he got older (he died at 12 from heart failure) he used to come and jump at the door when we got home. We bought a border collie puppy while we had him and she was just as awesome. Picked up fetch straight away, could throw her frisbee for hours without her getting tired. My collie x that we have now is like the star of our training club, except when it comes to food haha. She's a proper fatso.

I really miss my puppydog when I'm not home :(. She gives the bestest cuddles and kisses.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    We used to have a springer, and he was gorgeous. Loved his ball, loved jumping in the pond, even when he got older (he died at 12 from heart failure) he used to come and jump at the door when we got home. We bought a border collie puppy while we had him and she was just as awesome. Picked up fetch straight away, could throw her frisbee for hours without her getting tired. My collie x that we have now is like the star of our training club, except when it comes to food haha. She's a proper fatso.

I really miss my puppydog when I'm not home :(. She gives the bestest cuddles and kisses.

Me too! That's why I need to save up for one asap!
  • Options
    I have a basset hound and a springer at home...both are bonkers!! Both uninsured though...vets bills have been a bugger (spaniel keeps getting lumps and cuts his feet cos he runs through ANYTHING! and basset hound has back/hip issues cos of her build).

I can't wait to have my own dog (or 2) and would love a pair of whippets or a couple of staffies :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    My Staff costs me about £15 a month in proper dog food, but then she also eats a roast on sunday and I quite often cook her a peice of fish.
    She costs me a lot more in time though - she's walked at least once a day.

She's a pedigree staff but she's always had perfect health. The only times she's had to go to the vet is damaging herself chasing critters in the fields. Rock solid and plenty of fun.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive...PLEASE post a pic :D
  • Options
    I would reccomend a staffie to anyone tbh. Ive had other dogs, but I think staffs are just fabulous dogs. So intelligent, trainable and reliable.
  • Options
    It's just so sad that bar greyhound/lurcher types, staffies are the most prevelant species seen in boarding kennels :(
  • Options
    nooo chickens!
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    It's just so sad that bar greyhound/lurcher types, staffies are the most prevelant species seen in boarding kennels :(
    That's because people look past them because of stereotypes. The other dogs get snapped up as soon as they arrive because they don't have a reputation like greyhounds/staffies.
  • Options
    what reputation do greyhounds have? only reason I'm put off greyhounds is because of their size.
  • Options
    what reputation do greyhounds have? only reason I'm put off greyhounds is because of their size.
    It's mostly because people automatically assume they aren't cat friendly and yeh, their size. They don't take up any more room than my collie mutt and we have two. A lot of people think they need a billion hours of exercise a day, too.