Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bristol or Brighton

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In the next two months I come to the decision as to whether or not I stay in London or leave. I am giving leaving serious consideration as the cost of living is too high compared to pay for entry level jobs and it is too competitive and way too big.

I can't really see myself in London long term, especiallyt if I wanna save to continue my education and to travel.

I know both Brighton and Bristol are known for having green movements and I'd like to be somewhere where that is accessible... Also with more access to the countryside.

I was wondering from those who live in eithee Bristol or Brighton...

What is the cost of living like?

Is it hard to get a job?

Is it a decent place to live?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i only know about Bristol, but it is a lovely place, easy to get to and out of, lots of green movementy things, cost of living in a lot lower than in london, and the quality of life is pretty good...good nightlife, lots of artsy things happening....
    What I would be tempted to do is start applying for jobs in your chosen sector elsewhere and if you get offered a job see what the place is like. But then again the only real work I've done is summer jobs so feel free to take my advice with a pinch of salt.
    Brighton is nice but extortionately high cost of living.
    8 years ago, I was given the choice of taking a placement in London or Bristol. I chose Bristol because it was more central for me. Socially, the first 10 weeks were wipeout then things suddenly clicked after that. In my time, I saw some great dance and cheese clubs, with the odd indie night thrown in. Back then (we're talking Oct 00, to Sept 01), the big hitters were The Rock, Creation and Café Blue for dance venues. For cheese venues, it was mainly The Works and Evolution. For indie, check out the old Bierkeller. I'm sure a lot of this has changed now, as we're 8 years on. The city centre is by the docks, great for a family day out and quiet pub lunch. There were fairgrounds in Dec/Jan for Christmas period - rides scattered in the city centre. I'm not talking about carousels or kiddie rides either. Proper major rides - e.g. "Top Spin" which is a clone of the "Ripsaw" found at Alton Towers!

I don't know much about Brigton, although I do have relatives who I see about once a year. I saw the Chemical Brothers at Brighton Centre in Dec 07, which is very much a club-type venue. There is Brighton Pier. Most rides are run-of-the-mill, but there are a couple of interesting machines there, made even more so when you're looking over the water.
    I live in north bristol which to me is the best of both worlds, not that far from the centre but away enough to not live inner city and not far from countryside. Also cribbs causeway is only 15 mins away which is also very busy.
    There are always jobs going.
    Brighton isnt cheap but its cheaper then London. You can get house/flat shares for a fairly resonable price if you look around/are prepared to live further out of the centre of Brighton and commute in. The Buses are the best way to get around, most routes are well serviced and the weekly/monthly/annual tickets are a pretty good.

There are plenty of agencies to find jobs, and a fair few charites as well. The downs are fairly accessable and their are some nice parks on the outskirts.
    I hate brighton so i would go for Bristol - i'm also not sure how easy it is to find a job in brighton as most people i know who have lived there have commuted up to London rather than working locally so the lower cost of living has been offset against the higher cost of rail.

I agree with shy boy about proably finding a job and then somewhere to live