Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Heroin Help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I ran across this site googling and thought i'd sign up && get some help from the "experts". My boyfriend is addicted to heroin and is a pretty heavy user, shoots 5-10 times a day pure tar. He ALSO takes a 55-60 mg dose of methadone EVERY DAY and is experiencing the worst constipation ever. He has been in the bathroom going on four hours now and i dont know what to do to help him? I dont know anything about Heroin and constipation? Kinda gross topic, but PLEASE HELP! advice anyone? && yes i know the best advice is tell him to quit, were working on that one.

Thanks,
whit <3

Comments

• Options
    All opiates will block him up, in the short term could you not try a laxative? A large dose of vitamin C would probably help too.

If you can though I'd go and see a GP about it, but then given the terms you used I assume you are in the US where seeing a doctor isnt as simple as just phoning up.

Oh and dont get him pushing too hard he'll injure himself.
  • Options
    Can be very painful and even a little frightening.
    Pour kettles of boiling water into the loo to steam his bum and help relax his muscles and soften his pooh.
    Being a smack head isn't an excuse to not look after yourself in other ways.
    He should be taking laxatives daily ...he can get them on script.
    If he is still suffering after half an hour of hot kettles he needs to lay down in a hot bath ...hot as is comfortable for him.
    Then backon the bog with more kettles.
    If he still can't go it's off to hospital ...seriously.
    Take care.
  • Options
    By the way ...if he ends up in the hot bath get him to do some gentle sit up type things ...can do them lying on his side if he wishes as it aint for muscle building ...just to exercise his stomach a little and move stuff about a bit.
  • Options
    i feel for you and your boyfriend. heroin addiction is a terrible experience for both the user and the people around them.

taking methadone and heroin at the same time is really dangerous, it really sounds like he needs to go into rehab where he gets 24 hour surveilance. his life is seriously at risk here, and you need to get him some professional help, either from a GP, drug counsellor, psychologist, social worker, whatever suits him. i would really recommend an actual doctor for this because it seems like a pretty serious case.

things that will help with his bowel movements are drinking lots of water (softens the faeces), proper laxatives or stool softeners (but not every day because they really fuck up your digestive system and in the long term make it harder to make bowel movements), an enema, and the ideas that moroccan roll suggested about the bath and the hot water.

this is not to be taken lightly - i haven't done heroin THAT much, but i have overdosed on it twice, it's really not good.

also, make sure there aren't any other opiates in the house that he can abuse: anything with codeine (like cold and flu tablets or pain medication), oxycodone, hydrocodone, (percocet, oxycontin etc) take them out of the house. also make sure he's not on any benzodiazepines (such as valium, xanax, etc) or alcohol because they increase the risk of respiratory depression.

wishing you and your boyfriend the best of luck :heart:
  • Options
    i feel for you and your boyfriend. heroin addiction is a terrible experience for both the user and the people around them.

taking methadone and heroin at the same time is really dangerous, it really sounds like he needs to go into rehab where he gets 24 hour surveilance. his life is seriously at risk here, and you need to get him some professional help, either from a GP, drug counsellor, psychologist, social worker, whatever suits him. i would really recommend an actual doctor for this because it seems like a pretty serious case.

things that will help with his bowel movements are drinking lots of water (softens the faeces), proper laxatives or stool softeners (but not every day because they really fuck up your digestive system and in the long term make it harder to make bowel movements), an enema, and the ideas that moroccan roll suggested about the bath and the hot water.

this is not to be taken lightly - i haven't done heroin THAT much, but i have overdosed on it twice, it's really not good.

also, make sure there aren't any other opiates in the house that he can abuse: anything with codeine (like cold and flu tablets or pain medication), oxycodone, hydrocodone, (percocet, oxycontin etc) take them out of the house. also make sure he's not on any benzodiazepines (such as valium, xanax, etc) or alcohol because they increase the risk of respiratory depression.

wishing you and your boyfriend the best of luck :heart:

A very sensible post but ...if he has no desire to come off ...he won't.
  • Options
    wow, thank you guys. thats really cool. didn't know i would get such great replys =) I just got back from the store with suppositories and milk of magnesia some one told me was amazing. he has been taking Colace, a stool softener for quite a few days now. Today is the 8th day of not going. He is in a lotttttt of pain. I will tell him about the bath tub thing. It sucks having to take care of an addict. Its like BABYSITTING && your totally right, you cant make em quit if they dont want to, no matter WHAT you do. Thanks for your kind words though..

whit
  • Options
    I don't know anything about heroin addiction but that guy had better appreciate how lucky he is having someone like you.
  • Options
    I don't know anything about heroin addiction but that guy had better appreciate how lucky he is having someone like you.

Exactly what I was thinking when I first read.. very lucky indeed.

I hope it works out for you, but maybe you need to make him have a rethink of the route he is taking right now as it doesn't seem to have changed his addiction.

Start by making him think more clearly like by making him be more decisive by having an aim as to why he wants to quit. Such aims could be so that he could have a porper job, a better realtionship, more friends etc.

Without goals he'll fail miserably to lose his addiction as there will be nothing for him to look forward to.
  • Options
    Thge only bit i saw about quitting was this bit ...
    && yes i know the best advice is tell him to quit, were working on that one. ]]
    So they're working on that one.
    It's not as simple as some folk think or would like it to be.
    The good news is it isn't all that damaging long terM..but short term which is what an addicts life is about ...today ...the moment ...now ....is fucking chaos.
    The vast majority do pack it in and move on.
    Not usually till they have to admit defeat though.
    Tell your man i've been there ...enjoyed it mostly as well.
    But at some point there can only be one winner.
    In my case ...i won the horse lost.:cool:
  • Options
    Thge only bit i saw about quitting was this bit ...
    && yes i know the best advice is tell him to quit, were working on that one. ]]
    So they're working on that one.
    It's not as simple as some folk think or would like it to be.
    The good news is it isn't all that damaging long terM..but short term which is what an addicts life is about ...today ...the moment ...now ....is fucking chaos.
    The vast majority do pack it in and move on.
    Not usually till they have to admit defeat though.
    Tell your man i've been there ...enjoyed it mostly as well.
    But at some point there can only be one winner.
    In my case ...i won the horse lost.:cool:

you seem very wise and definitely know what you're talking about.
    + i never want to have it again after my last experience
  • Options
    you seem very wise and definitely know what you're talking about.
    + i never want to have it again after my last experience

Don't know about wise ...experienced yes.;)