Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Had a baby? New Labour wants you in the workhouse

As most of you know, I think that the welfare state is hopelessly bloated. It does more than enough to help out the feckless and the lazy, (such as Karen Matthews and the mother of Baby P) yet does next to nothing for those who genuinely have fallen on hard times. Put simply, I believe that the welfare state is so ridiculously large that it has to be radically reformed - otherwise, the nation will go bankrupt attempting to pay for the dismal failure of politicians to improve our society.

Who would have ever thought that New Labour would actually agree with my analysis? Me neither. Yet they do. According to Times Online; "ALMOST all benefit claimants will be forced either to look for a job or prepare for work if they want to continue to receive state handouts, under a shake-up of the welfare state. Single mothers of children as young as one and people registered unfit for work will be compelled to go on training courses and work experience or risk cuts to their benefits. In an interview with The Sunday Times, James Purnell, the work and pensions secretary, said: 'Virtually everyone will be doing something in return for their benefits.'." Click here for more details.

New Labour politicians are probably the most devious, loathsome mendicious shits ever to exist. They all deserve to be tied to a tree and beaten as if they were piñatas before being boiled alive. I'm sure that that Nu Labour's torture-happy friends in Uzbekistan would be happy to help us carry this out to improve international relations. What the fuck are civil servants putting into ministers morning coffees? Making single mums of chidren as young as one go to work? What, so the aforementioned babies can be placed in ZaNu Labour-approved child care centres? I don't recall the state being better placed to raise children than their natural parents.

Not content with forcing everyone out into jobs - has no one told that useless Purnell prick that the economy's in recession at the moment? - they also want to get the details of every child in the country onto a database. This scheme was introduced by the creepy Margaret Hodge in 2003. The very same Margaret Hodge who failed miserably to do anything about the infestation of paedophiles in Islington care homes during the 1980s. The very same Margaret Hodge who branded Demetrious Panton, one of those people who suffered vile abuse in Islington at that time, as "extremely disturbed". Anyone with half a brain could work out that this was a disreputable person with a disreputable idea. But not New Labour!

So not only do they want the parents to go out to work, they want to know everything about their kids as well. They intend to ask 60 questions about "children's sexual behaviour, their family's structure, culture and religion, their views on 'discrimination', their friends, secret fears, feelings and family income, plus 'any serious difficulties in their parents relationship'.". And why exactly is any of this information the business of Gordon Brown and his government?

I'd do anything to see these bastards all thrown of power. I really would. And what's worse is that the Tories would hardly change a thing about it. Utter wankers, the lot of them...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thats pretty shit. Is it definitely going to happen or is it just a proposal?
  • Options
    thats pretty shit. Is it definitely going to happen or is it just a proposal?
    Whenever the government has previously attempted to make controversial changes to the welfare system - and this one is probably the most controversial yet - they've usually found massive opposition to it from Labour backbenchers. Most of this opposition isn't on the grounds that parents are best placed to look after their children. It's usually because of the dogmatic mindset of many Labour MPs. This would require making changes in the law and the government would face a lot of obstacles trying to get it through.

The Government will probably try to get it through on the grounds that cutting the welfare bill is essential due to the "difficult economic times" that "hard-working families" face thanks to problems "which began in America". (as endlessly repeated by Macavity in the past year) Much of Labour will oppose it. The question is what the Tories would do about it. I also suspect it would get huge opposition in the House of Lords.

It's got to be stopped either way. This is wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • Options
    i really dont think they will do it tbh.
    The cost of subsidising childcare will probably outweigh the money saved by quite a long shot
  • Options
    how the fuck are they going to get people who are unfit for work into training schemes? when i was fitting 3-5 times a day there was no way i could have done much apart from sat on the sofa, watched tv, and read. I didn't even knit whilst it was that bad...

and why do they need to know those things? have they given a reason? sounds stupidly like 1984
  • Options
    i think sometimes what they do, is give these ridiculously extreme proposals, so that when it comes to the final proposal, which is still shit, but not as bad as the extreme original one, then not as many people will kick up a fuss
  • Options
    Shame to Labour for even contemplating this, but naturally they wouldn't contemplate such things in the first place if the disgraceful campaign of hatred and lies about Britain's welfare system waged by some politicians and opinion makers alike hadn't been raging on non-stop for decades, as it has. I hope the Rothermere family (always ready to champion conservative values in their nauseating 'newspapers') are happy with what their efforts are on the verge of achieving.

As an aside point, I find the way the Matthews case has been used up by sectors of the press (and David fucking Cameron in one of the papers today) to have a pop at the welfare State as the pinnacle of malice and utter cuntiness.
  • Options
    If decent child care can be sorted I really dont see why single parents cant do some sort of work after their kid has started at school. At the moment single parents can get benefit till their kid is 14 isnt it? Sorry but you can find time for some work if your kid is in school most of the time.

There should be more investment made into helping people off benefits and into work, but I dont think that needs to come with a big stick, just a decent carrot. Most people would rather be out and doing things and long term unemployment is dire for your health.
  • Options
    Get the lazy fuckers who play the system back to work not the genuine with young children!
  • Options
    I t hink there are also long term effects of financially 'forcing' single parents into work as soon as or because their children are of school age. Things like, having the time to cook a proper home cooked meal (obesity and diet related illness anyone?), take the time to go over your child's homework with them (literacy and long term education aims?), stay on top of all your housework (pride, tidy house tidy mind, clean decent living conditions?), bills and paperwork (oh god, the paperwork of life!!!). Being a parent is actually a full time job in itself and parents don't necessarily just sit on their arses watching jeremy kyle whilst their kids are at school, which seems to be the general consensus (not a dig at you budda).
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Get the lazy fuckers who play the system back to work not the genuine with young children!
    Tell that to the man in the street or the bloke down the pub who firmly believes (aided by the lies peddled the S*n and the Daily Hatemail) just about every other single mother out there only got pregnant to get a free house and benefits for life.

It is because of such bullshit that the government is now contemplating forcing parents into work.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If decent child care can be sorted I really dont see why single parents cant do some sort of work after their kid has started at school. At the moment single parents can get benefit till their kid is 14 isnt it? Sorry but you can find time for some work if your kid is in school most of the time.

At the moment it is 16.
    I think that unless you can make businesses be more family friendly, or schools more working parent friendly, then it wont work.
    Its really not easy to find any job that fits around UK school hours
  • Options

Sure isn't!
  • Options
    At the moment it is 16.
    I think that unless you can make businesses be more family friendly, or schools more working parent friendly, then it wont work.

Of course it isnt, which is why I said we need far more carrot than stick.

I know in some towns now they are doing 9.30-3 slots at most of the big shops so that mums can work and still pick up their kids without an issue. Its that sort of flexibility which seems to be the way to go.
  • Options
    I know in some towns now they are doing 9.30-3 slots at most of the big shops so that mums can work and still pick up their kids without an issue. Its that sort of flexibility which seems to be the way to go.

One of the women I worked with at McDonalds did 9:30-2:30 every weekday, and didn't work in the school holidays or weekends, and because they always get in extra staff over the school holidays anyway (mostly because the part-time school/college kids would go full-time hours) it wasn't a problem. She actually went in and said, "can I just work the school hours?".

Much as I hated working there, there are worse jobs, especially if you're not working the massively busy periods. McD's were very good in that they were pretty flexible with hours (unless you let them walk all over you, like I did, and then you end up getting out of bed at 3am every damn day). You can also book time off at pretty short-notice without a problem.
  • Options

There should be more investment made into helping people off benefits and into work, but I dont think that needs to come with a big stick, just a decent carrot. Most people would rather be out and doing things and long term unemployment is dire for your health.
    I agree! It maybe is peddled about a bit too much but I know from the area I live in and the people I've met that a lot of girls have kids "so I don't have to work till the kids 16"! Why should the rest of us pay for someone being a lazy arse?
    Obviously I'm not branding every young mum or every single parent in the same bracket but theres enough of them out there which means something has to be done!
    I t hink there are also long term effects of financially 'forcing' single parents into work as soon as or because their children are of school age. Things like, having the time to cook a proper home cooked meal (obesity and diet related illness anyone?), take the time to go over your child's homework with them (literacy and long term education aims?), stay on top of all your housework (pride, tidy house tidy mind, clean decent living conditions?), bills and paperwork (oh god, the paperwork of life!!!). Being a parent is actually a full time job in itself and parents don't necessarily just sit on their arses watching jeremy kyle whilst their kids are at school, which seems to be the general consensus (not a dig at you budda).
    Being a parent is a hard job - agreed but I grew up with my Dad leaving for work before I got up for School and getting home later than me, my mum worked at a school so had school hours but...... I was fed a proper home cooked meal every nite, I was helped with my homework when it was needed, my house was always pristeen clean....so to argue that these jobs can't get done if the parents are working I believe is wrong!

These jobs get done when you live on your own anyway, cooking for an extra 1 or 2 doesn't take extra time, just a bigger pan, its actually easier cooking for 3/4 than it is cooking for 1 IMO! You would clean your house anyway, so a little extra needed obviously cleaning up after kids mess but certainly not so much that if you worked you wouldn't have time to do any of these things!

You have the likes of Shannon Matthews mum who wouldn't do any of these things even though she didn't work!

I can understand looking after a child is hard work, especially at a young age when they depend on you 100%, but I firmly believe that parents should still work...if anything just to provide a better life financially for their child!
    If benefits make it more financially rewarding than working then that needs to be looked at cos its wrong if workers get less than benefits.

Also about this questionaire... sure it seems like its a kind of Big Brother prying into peoples lifes...but if it helps find out people like Shannons mum then I'm all for it...people like this shouldn't have children and I'm pretty confident there will be a lot of Karen Matthews out there!
  • Options
    Only 2% of single mums live totally on benefits ...don't tell you that do they?
  • Options
    Only 2% of single mums live totally on benefits ...don't tell you that do they?

Source?

But lets assume its true, I do think that if your kid is at school you should be looking for some sort of work. I agree that finding work which is suitable is going to be difficult, but thats why I keep stressing there needs to be more carrot than stick.

Plus benefits need to be more flexible, I know one single mum who only works 3 days a week, she could work more and wants to, but if she did she would loose more than she would gain. Which is bonkers really.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Shame to Labour for even contemplating this, but naturally they wouldn't contemplate such things in the first place if the disgraceful campaign of hatred and lies about Britain's welfare system waged by some politicians and opinion makers...
    You could do worse than take a look at Monday's Daily Mail. In it, Melanie Phillips - yes, I know, I find her utterly unbearable as well - writes that we should actually scrap child benefit altogether. Oh yes. Apparently, every single mother out there is like the despicable Karen Matthews in Melanie Phillips Land, so we should scrap it. Quite how getting rid of a benefit which is received by all types of families across the land would help them, she doesn't seem to explain. How the heck she writes some of this stuff with a straight face, I don't know - Paul Dacre probably has a good laugh each time her latest piece arrives.
    and why do they need to know those things? have they given a reason? sounds stupidly like 1984
    Because New Labour knows best, don't you know? These morons seriously think that a huge database containing detailed information about every child in the country will aid child protection. Yet Ed Balls, the Children's Secretary (it's telling that he's no longer called the Education Secretary, I think) has admitted that this database would not have prevented the death of Baby P. In that case, why are they wasting our time and money on developing a database which the government will probably lose anyway?

Ah yes, silly me. Because like most other things with this lot, it's about showing who's boss.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

It doesn't take that long to make a home cooked meal. And what's wrong with cooking over night? My mum does that and she normally works 10 hour days.

Both my parents worked full time from when I was 11 and guess what? They managed to do all the above.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Being a parent is actually a full time job in itself and parents don't necessarily just sit on their arses watching jeremy kyle whilst their kids are at school, which seems to be the general consensus (not a dig at you budda).

It really does depend kat, I know some who do exactly that and the kids are left to fend for themselves mostly. Although the counter argument is that a parent has their own life too and shouldn't be a slave to their kids. I dunno, I can't complain in that regard and most of my friends were very well catered for but I know of several parents who are on benefits and do just laze about. I don't know whether it's pure laziness though or whether someone gets into such a routine that going out and getting a job is just too stressful.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    It doesn't take that long to make a home cooked meal. And what's wrong with cooking over night? My mum does that and she normally works 10 hour days.

Both my parents worked full time from when I was 11 and guess what? They managed to do all the above.:rolleyes:

Awesome for you Melian but you're missing the bigger picture that not everyone can and the harder you make it the more people won't.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

i often dont manage it. Try having several children to supervise whilst cooking a healthy meal
  • Options
    i actually think raising a family, especially with more than one child, is actually harder than most paid jobs, so anyone that does it so they dont have to work is in for a bit of a shock. Thats not the point though. Being in childcare while both your parents work full time at age 1 is rarely going to be in the childs best interest. I maintain that this wont go through in such an extreme form as this
  • Options
    Source?

Polly Toynbee yesterdays Guardian.
  • Options
    I maintain that this wont go through in such an extreme form as this
    Not until Macavity's got the general election out of the way, at least. And even then, he's going to lose it disastrously. So there is a real chance that this won't happen. Not even Call Me Dave is this thick.
    Polly Toynbee yesterdays Guardian.
    As if anyone can seriously believe anything that woman comes out with. The Grauniad's "resident madwoman" (thank you very much, Richard Littlejohn) has a hopelessly tenuous grip on facts and has no consistency whatsoever. Perhaps it's travelling to and from her villa in Tuscany which leaves her too tired to write anything decent for her £140k a year salary. She is a slimy socialist hypocrite of the worst kind - she loathes the concept of private education, yet sends her kids to private schools. She hates privilege and wealth, yet lives in a mansion in one of the nicest parts of London and has a villa in Italy. And like most hypocrites, the irony of all this is lost on the woman. It's a real pity that the brilliant Factchecking Pollyanna blog isn't still going.