Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Teaching further education

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a few questions regarding teaching in further education/A levels. Would love to hear off teachers who are currently doing this, or have done it....

I was wondering what your experiences are with teaching in further education. Is it a very competitive field to get in to? How challenging is it?

Do you get much input as to what you teach? Are there teachers with certain backgrounds which are more employable than others?

I'm a recent graduate and a few people have told me I'd be really good at it, especially as I am so passionate about young people. I wasthinking that the best thing for me to teach would be politics, or sociology... I don't know how much freedom I'd have to choose, but would love to slip some human rights and about social movements in there. I would love to inspire people and know it will be a challenging job, but I love a challenge. I'd also like to take it to maybe do with VSO, or project work in the future.

I am worried however that I my A levels are not amazing. I was diagnosed with a learning difficulty a month before exams and thus received support... However, I got help in university and came out with a good degree.

Thougts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    I have a few questions regarding teaching in further education/A levels. Would love to hear off teachers who are currently doing this, or have done it....

I was wondering what your experiences are with teaching in further education. Is it a very competitive field to get in to? How challenging is it?

Do you get much input as to what you teach? Are there teachers with certain backgrounds which are more employable than others?

I'm a recent graduate and a few people have told me I'd be really good at it, especially as I am so passionate about young people. I wasthinking that the best thing for me to teach would be politics, or sociology... I don't know how much freedom I'd have to choose, but would love to slip some human rights and about social movements in there. I would love to inspire people and know it will be a challenging job, but I love a challenge. I'd also like to take it to maybe do with VSO, or project work in the future.

I am worried however that I my A levels are not amazing. I was diagnosed with a learning difficulty a month before exams and thus received support... However, I got help in university and came out with a good degree.

Thougts?

Hiya! I'm not a teacher, but I've researched teaching a lot recently as it's something I'm also really interested in doing.

I think as long as you've got decended GCSEs then you're alright. But you've got a degree. Not everyone who goes into teaching has a degree so you're a step ahead.
    Experience is the key though, whether you go for a PGCE or through Teach First I think it's important to have some kind of experience under your belt.
    The most important thing is that you're enthusiast about it, which is what will shine through the interview.

But yeah, if you want to get into teaching, I'd first think about how you're going to approach it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've replied to your PGCE thread but just to add that the requirements for Qualified Teacher Status include I think at least a 2:2 at degree level, and I think Cs in GCSE Maths, Science and English, as well as passing some skills tests. So your A level results shouldn't have too much of an impact, particularly if you can demonstrate sound knowledge in the subject you want to teach.