Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Welcome to Lapland - or not!

This story's been featured fairly prominently in the tabloids in the last couple of days, so I fancied mentioning it here. According to the Beeb; "A Lapland-style theme park criticised by visitors as 'hell' and a 'scam' has closed down permanently. Lapland New Forest opened on Friday on the Hampshire-Dorset border but was criticised by hundreds of visitors. The firm running the park said it had closed the attraction because of 'intentional organised crowd manipulation and event sabotage'." Meantime, the Daily Telegraph say the park has received over 2000 complaints, the Times claims that Alton Towers is allowing up to 1500 people disappointed by "Lapland" to come to its own festive gathering for free, whilst the Daily Mail reported that there had actually been fights between customers and staff!

Links: BBC News story, Telegraph, The Times, the Daily Mail, the venue in pictures...
Oh, and just for balance: Lapland New Forest's own website

I suspect that front pages such as this one from today's The Sun didn't help either...
15172130.jpg

Probably the strangest aspect to this story was the claim by a spokesman for the park who said that, not only were Trading Standars officers happy with what they'd seen, but also had the cheek to claim "we've had a lot of satisfied people today.". Nice to know that Comical Ali found new employment after the disappearance of Saddam Hussein's regime, isn't it?

I can't help but laugh at all this, frankly. I probably wouldn't be if I was one of the very unlucky people to have attended. The magic of Christmas, my arse. Ho fucking ho.

What do you all think of this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what is Lapland?
    what is Lapland?
    Lapland is a province in the north of Sweden. Historically, the idea has come about that Santa Claus lives there.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Lapland is a province in the north of Sweden. Historically, the idea has come about that Santa Claus lives there.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard.

North mutha-fuck'n pole!
    That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard. North mutha-fuck'n pole!
    According to Wikipedia, that great research tool; "One legend associated with Santa says that he lives in the far north, in a land of perpetual snow. The American version of Santa Claus lives at the North Pole, while Father Christmas is said to reside in Lapland."

Make of that what you will. Personally, I'm more than bemused at the fact Wikipedia restricts editing of that article. I wonder why?
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, that great research tool; "One legend associated with Santa says that he lives in the far north, in a land of perpetual snow. The American version of Santa Claus lives at the North Pole, while Father Christmas is said to reside in Lapland."

Make of that what you will. Personally, I'm more than bemused at the fact Wikipedia restricts editing of that article. I wonder why?

probably because it's a popular page to look up. And most people probably have their own version they're convinced is right.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It's only down the road from me.

I think it's shit. Christmas may not be that special to any of us now, but for most kids, Christmas is a special time.

I'd be fucking livid i I was a parent who'd taken my kid there. Not because of the money, but because it'd have been a severe let down for my kids.
    Weekender Offender 
    Think its tricky - some people could have handled it better than hitting the staff, for example.
    The website makes it look really pretty and then I looked at the other pictures and I think if I'd gone there I would have been so angry that I'd paid money to go there. Those poor dogs look so miserable and filthy.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote: »
    Those poor dogs look so miserable and filthy.

The RSPCA went in and didn't have a problem, which says a lot being the animal welfare nazis they are.
    Weekender Offender 
    I've been following this story for 3 days, and while I feel really sorry for those who have been ripped off badly, when saw the pictures of the place for the first time I nearly had tears of laughter rolliong down my cheeks.

The fuckers behind this have some fucking cheek :D:D
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The fuckers behind this have some fucking cheek :D:D
    They certainly do. Unfortunately, they're not the only ones. According to Mail Online, there's actually another one due to open tomorrow - Lapland West Midlands, based in Wolverhampton. Expect this story to run and run...
    what is Lapland?

The best name for a strip club I've ever heard. Someone please open a Christmas themed titty bar, I'll write all the advertising for free.

"It was the night before Christmas and, all through the house, nothing was stirring...APART FROM THE ERECTIONS IN MEN'S PANTS! Lapland! Where jolly fat men sit in grubby overcoats storing up spank bank material. Lapland! Where Santa goes to empty his sack! Lapland!"

Seriously, Santa's reindeer sound like strippers as well; Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder and Blixem. Well maybe not Blixem. That's what the owner would be called. Colonel Blixem.

God damn.
    I'm not sure I care.