Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Safety at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work for an organisation that works with the homeless.

I've been in the job for about 4 months and am quite shocked by the level of attention paid to staff health and safety, given that we're working with such a vulnerable and potentially dangerous client base.

There are two members of staff in the office, so if one of us pops out for anything the other is effectively lone working. The office is in one of only two CCTV blind spots in the whole town, and there's no walkie-talkie to radio through to the police if anything kicks off. We have no heating and no back exit without climbing on the roof.

Does anyone know my rights as far as getting this changed is concerned?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    who is your manager ....try talking to them first about your issues of your work place. No heating and the fact that you have to climb onto a roof to escape in an emergency is a safety factor. Not a health and safety expert but your working conditions do not sit right with me for sure. Does the company you work for have a health and safety policy?
  • Options
    I would say there is a certain degree of health and safety issues from what you've told us.

I'm 95% sure that a building must provide a suitable working area for it's employees i.e if your working on a computer all day (those soft sponge things) and heating would be one because if there is no heat, you get cold, your body temperature drops, which could lead to a number of problems!
  • Options
    Ask to see the risk assessments covering your work, they should detail what risks there are, including assualt and other issues and the control measures in place to protect you.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer

Does anyone know my rights as far as getting this changed is concerned?

Cheers

Hi ButterflyKisses,

Sorry to hear about your health and safety issues at work, but good that you've identified that you think there is a problem and want to do something about it.

The first thing you should do is talk to your manager about them. You may feel that you can bring it up informally, or you may want to arrange a special meeting to discuss these issues. Make them realise that you think this is a serious issue; even if they don't.

Explain exactly what your concerns are. Ask them to provide evidence that you are adequately protected (for example, a thermometer to demonstrate you are working within acceptable temperatures).

If they don't respond to your concerns, or you want further information, contact the Health and Safety Executive, whose job it is to ensure that everyone works in a safe environment. Their helpline is: 0845 345 0055.

Remember, you don't have to work in an unsafe environment. You may find our article and podcast on Health and Safety useful.

Olly
  • Options
    One tiny fault in your page Olly, an employer only needs a written H&S policy statement if they have 5 or more employees.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Budda,

You are indeed correct and the factsheet has been amended.

Thanks,

Olly