Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

De Menezes Inquiry- the whitewash begins

The jury at the inquest into the death of Jean Charles de Menezes will not be able to consider a verdict of unlawful killing, the coroner has said.

Sir Michael Wright said that having heard all the evidence, a verdict of unlawful killing was "not justified".

Mr de Menezes, 27, was shot dead at Stockwell Tube Station by police officers who mistook him for one of the failed 21 July 2005 bombers.

The jury may now return an open, narrative or lawful killing verdict.

Sir Michael made the ruling as he began his summing up of the case on Tuesday.

He also warned jurors that they must not attach any criminal or civil fault to any individuals.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7760684.stm

So we are limiting the choices of the jury now and preventing them from even considering the possibility of an innocent man who was shot 7 times on the head for no good reason as having been unlawfully killed?

And no individual can given any criminal or even civil responsibility for the killing either?

What a fucking pathetic and sad joke.

I do hope De Menezes family sue the police for every penny they have.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I despair. New Labour's favourite copper may now have fucked off back to oblivion - we can but hope - yet his ghost clearly lives on. Still, it's nice to see the police force looking after its fellow comrades. What a disgrace.
  • Options
    I really think it would be interesting to see what people say about coppers when they are faced with a real suicide bomber, and then dont take the shot. Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

It wasnt the coppers on the ground, it was the ones in the office that need to be looked at.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I really think it would be interesting to see what people say about coppers when they are faced with a real suicide bomber, and then dont take the shot. Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

It wasnt the coppers on the ground, it was the ones in the office that need to be looked at.

If I'm not mistaken it was the men on the ground who tackled a man then shot him seven times.
  • Options
    Yes, but only because of the mistakes made higher up in the chain of command.

What if they hadnt shot him and he had been a suicide bomber, or what if in future the police hold back from taking a shot, because they are nervous of losing their jobs and/or getting it wrong?

BOOM, then the police get in trouble for not taking the shot? Yeah the officers on the ground do the dirty work, but dont for once second think they dont have dreams about what they have had to do.
  • Options
    What if they hadnt shot him and he had been a suicide bomber, or what if in future the police hold back from taking a shot, because they are nervous of losing their jobs and/or getting it wrong?

Maybe I'm misinformed but from everything that I have heard about the story he was wearing a light jacket (not exactly great for hiding a bomb), stopped to purchase a paper, and only ran when a couple of out of uniform officers approached him. And the fact that he was shot 7 times while on the ground shows how out of control these officers were.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm misinformed but from everything that I have heard about the story he was wearing a light jacket (not exactly great for hiding a bomb), stopped to purchase a paper, and only ran when a couple of out of uniform officers approached him. And the fact that he was shot 7 times while on the ground shows how out of control these officers were.

Richard Reid hid a bomb in his shoe......

The latest plot to be foiled involved liquids disguised as soft drinks....

Size isn't everything.

As for your other points, as far as the cops on the ground were aware, DeMenzes was a suicide bomber, which is what they were told by their bosses. If anyone gets the sack, it should be the people with pips on their shoulders.

And as for the number of times he was shot, if I was presented with someone I was told was a suicide bomber, I'd want to make sure he was dead. It does seem that a lot of the people doing the criticism will never have to make a judgment call like that, which makes it all the easier for them.
  • Options

I'm sure if it was you with 7 or 8 bullets being shot into your brain that you'd be saying something different. :chin:

At the end of the day they are the ones on the scene - who can see exactly what he looks like, what he is wearing, what he is carrying, etc It's their fingers which are on the trigger and and their eyes, ears and brains which are on the scene to sum up what they see before them.

In the end it's their decision to kill someone or not.

As for the Jury having their hands tied it seems like a huge waste of time and money if they're not allowed to give a real verdict. Seems like they've fixed the outcome of the case from the very beginning.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I'm sure if it was you with 7 or 8 bullets being shot into your brain that you'd be saying something different. :chin:

I doubt anyone would be saying very much with 7 or 8 bullets in their head :p
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Richard Reid hid a bomb in his shoe......

The latest plot to be foiled involved liquids disguised as soft drinks....

Size isn't everything.

But in instances when the justification for shooting was that the person was wearing a large coat with wires hanging out of it...

Sounds to me like a very sloppily put together excuse made after-the-fact.
    As for your other points, as far as the cops on the ground were aware, DeMenzes was a suicide bomber, which is what they were told by their bosses. If anyone gets the sack, it should be the people with pips on their shoulders.

I agree, the higher-ups definitely made a mess of things and frankly showed a great deal of incompetence. And I would hope that those responsible lose their jobs and there are revisions to policy and stake-out methods.
    And as for the number of times he was shot, if I was presented with someone I was told was a suicide bomber, I'd want to make sure he was dead.
    The reason why I mention it is because generally in police training (at least in the states) they are taught to fire in 3 round bursts. Seven rounds to the head of a man who was on the ground indicates that they were not acting in accordance with their training.
    It does seem that a lot of the people doing the criticism will never have to make a judgment call like that, which makes it all the easier for them.
    Fair enough. But that's not to say that there shouldn't be criticism. An innocent man was shot seven times by police, I think that requires a great deal of criticism.
  • Options
    And the fact that he was shot 7 times while on the ground shows how out of control these officers were.

they are trained to keep shooting untill theres no chance of the person detonating the bomb, a half dead bomber can kill as many people as a heathly one.
  • Options

easy to hide a bomb under if its braces.

They shot him 7 times because they thought he was a suicide bomber. They didn't want him to get up and detonate.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I'm sure if it was you with 7 or 8 bullets being shot into your brain that you'd be saying something different. :chin:.

what a stupid thing to say.
    At the end of the day they are the ones on the scene - who can see exactly what he looks like, what he is wearing, what he is carrying, etc It's their fingers which are on the trigger and and their eyes, ears and brains which are on the scene to sum up what they see before them.

Yep - you weren't. I suspect with the possible exception of Mr G (and I hope not) none of you will ever be in the situation where you have to make a split second decision, with the knowledge if he is and you don't shoot you and others are dead and if you're wrong and you do people who are sitting comfortably on their arse will decide what you should have done
    In the end it's their decision to kill someone or not.

As for the Jury having their hands tied it seems like a huge waste of time and money if they're not allowed to give a real verdict. Seems like they've fixed the outcome of the case from the very beginning

I know coroners are such lapdogs of the Government...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7719847.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6168050.stm
  • Options
    But in instances when the justification for shooting was that the person was wearing a large coat with wires hanging out of it...

Sounds to me like a very sloppily put together excuse made after-the-fact..

Actually no it wasn't. That was media reporting. the justification was they thought he was a suicide bomber

I agree, the higher-ups definitely made a mess of things and frankly showed a great deal of incompetence. And I would hope that those responsible lose their jobs and there are revisions to policy and stake-out methods.

I'd agree.

The reason why I mention it is because generally in police training (at least in the states) they are taught to fire in 3 round bursts. Seven rounds to the head of a man who was on the ground indicates that they were not acting in accordance with their training.

In most cases - however if that's how they're trained to deal with suicide bombers they're mad. You shoot until they're not dead. (also as anyone who's ever fired in a real life situation knows training and reality are different)
    Fair enough. But that's not to say that there shouldn't be criticism. An innocent man was shot seven times by police, I think that requires a great deal of criticism

I agree. However, it doesn't actually mean that criticism should be directed at the blokes on thr ground, nor, from the evidence, does it make murder or manslaughter.
  • Options
    My contract mentions that I may have to take life in order to preserve it.
  • Options
    My contract mentions that I may have to take life in order to preserve it.
    I really fail to see the comparison here. As a military man, you're unlikely to be asked to chase someone down on the Tube, are you?
  • Options

I don't think anyone has suggested (certainly it wasn't my intention) that those pulling the triggers should be the only ones under scrutiny. They wouldn't have been in the position they found themselves in if it wasn't for the shocking incompetence and negiglence that led the police to believe De Menezes was a terrorist and was going to blow himself up.

I think it's perfectly possible to reach a veredict of unlawful killing and put the blame on the idiots in charge and the idots on the surveillance team rather than those who were given the other to shoot him.

Having said the shooters could perhaps have prevented the killing. According to a witness no attempt was told to talk to De Menezes or give him warning. And frankly, since they had the balls (and balls it required) to walk all the way to the 'target' instead of shooting him from a couple of metres away, and since they managed to actually restrain him and hold his arms, they could have simply had a quick look at him first at that juncture. A potential bomber would have little chance to activate a bomb if he cannot move.

But as I said, the blunt of the blame must lie with the others. It is absolutely unbelievable that nobody, but nobody at all will even receive blame or lose their job- never mind criminal charges.
  • Options
    They shot him 7 times because they thought he was a suicide bomber. They didn't want him to get up and detonate.

... So I keep being told. And I would argue that it's an indication that they had lost control to a certain degree. Frankly, the only people who really know are the officers themselves.
    Yep - you weren't. I suspect with the possible exception of Mr G (and I hope not) none of you will ever be in the situation where you have to make a split second decision, with the knowledge if he is and you don't shoot you and others are dead and if you're wrong and you do people who are sitting comfortably on their arse will decide what you should have done
    So let me get this straight. Without putting words into your mouth, you think that we as people looking at the situation in retrospect have no business determining if these people exercised good judgment?
  • Options
    Without putting words into your mouth, you think that we as people looking at the situation in retrospect have no business determining if these people exercised good judgment?

I think you have a responsibility to remember that you, as the people are quite happy to let the police get on with a difficult job for absolutely no reward, you expect them to be able to make these impossible decisions but are still happy to crucify them all if they make a mistake.

I could never be an armed cop, because I know I'd get bugger all support from the public no matter what I did. If I shoot I get suspended and face losing my job and going to prison, if I don't shoot people may die, i get suspended, and face losing my job.
  • Options
    ... So I keep being told. And I would argue that it's an indication that they had lost control to a certain degree. Frankly, the only people who really know are the officers themselves.

You might. I imagine they weren't as calm and collected as they were on the range, but then no-one is. You shoot until the target is incapable of detonating the bomb.Remember to fire those 7 shots probably took between 2-3 seconds

So let me get this straight. Without putting words into your mouth, you think that we as people looking at the situation in retrospect have no business determining if these people exercised good judgment?

Yes - unless you can actually understand the situation and have a vague idea of what it's like in fast moving situations where you have a fear for your life
  • Options
    If we are going to shoot to kill with no warning (which is another debate really) then we need to know that the cops will do it and do it fast, without endangering other passengers.

What this case highlighted was the complete and absolute inability of the Met to keep track of suspects, and they focused on the wrong person based on virtually no real evidence.
  • Options
    If De Menezes had been a would-be suicide bomber, chances are the actions of the coppers involved in the operation would have failed to prevent him detonating.

Never mind he was allowed to board not one but two buses. In the tube carriage one copper stood at the door, pointed his finger and shouted "there he is!", and two others entered the carriage from another door and walked towards him. De Menezes in fact had plenty of time to get up and start walking towards them. Had he been a suicide bomber he would have known his game was up well in advance of the agents reaching him and grabbing him, and would have blown everyone around to pieces.

Whichever way you look at it, it was an extremely piss-poorly executed operation by all concerned. That nobody will even face disciplinary or civil action can only be described as a fucking disgrace.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I think you have a responsibility to remember that you, as the people are quite happy to let the police get on with a difficult job for absolutely no reward, you expect them to be able to make these impossible decisions but are still happy to crucify them all if they make a mistake.

That is a particularly unfair accusation. I personally believe in giving police and especially soldiers the benefit of the doubt. And in most situations I think people will find that the police and most especially soldiers are completely justified in their actions. But in situations like this, questions need to be asked.
  • Options
    Yes - unless you can actually understand the situation and have a vague idea of what it's like in fast moving situations where you have a fear for your life

So then why are there review boards?

To claim that the public should not have an opinion about whether their law-enforcement is using deadly force appropriately is absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    So then why are there review boards?.

Are the public sitting on them or are they being staffed by professionals who might have an idea what they're talking about, rather than getting their views on what it's like in these situations from watching 'Where Eagles Dare'

To claim that the public should not have an opinion about whether their law-enforcement is using deadly force appropriately is absolutely ridiculous

You can have views of course... but if they're misinformed and ludicrous ones don't expect me to go along with them.
  • Options
    Are the public sitting on them or are they being staffed by professionals who might have an idea what they're talking about, rather than getting their views on what it's like in these situations from watching 'Where Eagles Dare'

that's why the jury's are given time, and expert information, to make an informed decision...
  • Options
    that's why the jury's are given time, and expert information, to make an informed decision...

Only if there is a realistic chance of a prosecution...
  • Options
    Only if there is a realistic chance of a prosecution...

there's an enquiry going on, the jury has been told what they can say, which kind of destroys the point...
  • Options
    If we can have experts guiding and advising juries and official inqury panels into cases of professional or medical negiglence, then we certainly can have them too for police operations as well.
  • Options

It depends, review boards often have a combination of professionals, elected officials people in civil offices.
  • Options
    there's an enquiry going on, the jury has been told what they can say, which kind of destroys the point...

There's already actually been a trial which found no individual to blame, they were done for organisational failings not individual.