Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Baby P case - two resign, Shoesmith is fired

Or not, as the case now appears to be. I originally posted this just after 5.34pm. Just nine minutes later, the Beeb changed their bloody report! And in the last hour, so have most of the mass media. Old and new version of the report here for you...

Old version: "Three people have lost their jobs after a 'damning and devastating' inspectors' report into the Baby P case, Children's Secretary Ed Balls has said. Sharon Shoesmith, the head of children's services at Haringey Council, in London, has been sacked. The council's leader George Meehan and the cabinet member for children and young people, Liz Santry have resigned. The 17-month-old died despite being on the child protection register. He had been visited by professionals 60 times."

New version: "Three people have been suspended on full pay from Haringey Council after a 'damning' inspectors' report into the case of Baby P. This includes Sharon Shoesmith, the head of children's services at the north London council. Council leader George Meehan and the authority's cabinet member for children, Liz Santry, have resigned. The 17-month-old boy died despite being on the child protection register and being seen by professionals 60 times." Click here for more. Meantime, the GMC is likely to strike off Sabah al-Zayyat, the incompentent doctor who is so good at her job that she failed to spot a baby with a broken back.

I retract my earlier claim that Children's Secretary Ed Balls did well today. To put it bluntly, this was a load of shit. Why won't he publish the report? Does the government want to face accusations of a cover up on two different issues at once? There's no grounds for refusing to publish it. That's not just what I think, it's what Lynne Featherstone MP thinks. She was one of just five MPs who were allowed to read it on privy council terms, (meaning they can't reveal its contents) and she says it should be published. As this develops tonight, the word "whitewash" keeps coming to mind.

As for the long term, what's going to happen? I have no wish to demonise social workers, for many do an extremely good job under difficult circumstances. What do you think of all this?

LEGAL NOTICE: Please bear in mind that due to ongoing legal matters in this case, you can't name the mother, stepfather or the baby.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Ed Balls hasn't done too good. Shoesmith has only been suspended on full pay :|
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shoesmith has been sacked, two others resigned according to BBC news.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Shoesmith has been sacked, two others resigned according to BBC news.

No. Read it.

She hasn't been sacked. She has been suspended. On full pay. Apparently until a pay out has been agreed. Which I don't agree with.
    She hasn't been sacked. She has been suspended. On full pay. Apparently until a pay out has been agreed.
    A baby has the living shit beaten out of him for several months, her social workers do absolutely nothing to stop it - and her reward could be up to £200k, according to some sources. How does this shameless, grasping bitch sleep at night?

It's worth looking at this woman's actions after Baby P's death. Firstly, she refused any kind of review into the conduct of social services on the grounds it would not "add value". Perhaps Shoesmith can explain to me how you valuate a child's life? Next, when all this hit the press, she merely said "The child was killed by members of his own family and not by social services.". Probably because your social workers didn't do anything about it, ever thought of that? After the Old Bailey trial, she wouldn't sack anyone, and she wouldn't even apologise for this massive failure from her department. Instead, she boasted in a media briefing about how brilliant her department was, and its 'three-star' ratings. How can anyone be so fucking insensitive?
    As harsh as it sounds, if the disciplinary proceedure states full pay while suspendded, then thats what should happen. Otherwise you cant have people getting suspended with no pay, for an investigation in the future, if for example they are totally innocent.

Lets not forget, that while social services did not do their jobs in any semblance of normality, dont get too worked up about the head of the service in that area, was it actually them that killed the kid?