Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Much stricter gun control is the obvious answer.
    the 1000th time they had smacked the boy. Fucking hell. If youre that hard on your kid youre going to fuck them up in the head
    poor kid.
    Fry him in an electric chair. Yehaw.
    poor lil bugger. shame he didnt have anyone to talk to and to help him :P maybe thats the answer.
    better child protection laws are needed. being abused as a child almost re-wires parts of your brain, and completely screws you up. I hope so much that he is protected from now on and look after like any 8 year old boy should be.

But if the grandparents thought they were too hard on him, why didn't they speak up and have him removed from the home?

what they are doing is actually against UN treaties set up to protect children. how the fuck can they think that trying him in an adult court is going to be either legal or moral? why isn't anyone higher stepping in here? i bet they haven't even done a psycological profile, or started investigating the possible abuse going on here. it seem that it was so well hidden from some of the statements made by friends and such. they hadn't a clue.

this sort of thing makes me so upset

what they are doing is actually against UN treaties set up to protect children. how the fuck can they think that trying him in an adult court is going to be either legal or moral? why isn't anyone higher stepping in here? i bet they haven't even done a psycological profile, or started investigating the possible abuse going on here. it seem that it was so well hidden from some of the statements made by friends and such. they hadn't a clue.

this sort of thing makes me so upset

Welcome to America.
    It's not only the USA that lets kids play with guns. How f***ing stupid is this? : (WARNING : Graphic video) http://tinyurl.com/5bn6py
    Teagan wrote: »
    It's not only the USA that lets kids play with guns. How f***ing stupid is this? : (WARNING : Graphic video) http://tinyurl.com/5bn6py

That's got to be up for the darwin awards...

As for the kid, mixed feelings. On the one hand he's obviously messed up but on the other hand is that justification for murder? :chin:
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    As for the kid, mixed feelings. On the one hand he's obviously messed up but on the other hand is that justification for murder? :chin:

There's nothing to indicate that he's "messed up". That's the usual narrative put forward when murder is involved and you can see how disappointed the Telegraph reporter was that the only sentence he could write was "Records indicate the boy had no history of psychiatric care and was not on any medication," an unnecessary allusion to obviously nonexistent mental illness, but included nevertheless because it's the expected Case-Closed bookend that simple journalists enjoy.

There is no problem here with whether it's "justification for murder," either. It's a response - a child's response - to unbearable circumstances. 1000 seems to me a very fair number; you could argue quite convincingly that 500 would be shocking and brutal enough but no, the kid thought he'd wait it out, give him another 500 chances to become a better person. He didn't, so he shot him with the gun his daddy loved so much - probably more than his own son.
    Well I don't know if it's nonexistant or existant one way or the other. But just from the reading the article it wouldn't give a first impression of a well adjusted child for whatever reason. So you are arguing it's a fair response (justifiable) to 1000 beatings?

I agree it's understandable, but I am not sure whether it's justified.
    a very intelligent young boy he is. Not many would consider murder especially a planned one.
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    a very intelligent young boy he is. Not many would consider murder especially a planned one.

I'm not sure how many 8 year old could count to a 1,000 in the first place?
    Maybe he had a tally but then again how many 8 year olds know how to do that.
    what they are doing is actually against UN treaties set up to protect children. how the fuck can they think that trying him in an adult court is going to be either legal or moral? why isn't anyone higher stepping in here?

As far as I know the US still havent FULLY signed up for the convention on the rights of a child. Pretty shocking really.
    what they are doing is actually against UN treaties set up to protect children. how the fuck can they think that trying him in an adult court is going to be either legal or moral?

The UN, as an organisation, has no power over nation states like the U.S. The U.S. constantly contravenes UN resolutions but there's nothing they can do.
    its absolutly sick that the US thinks it can walk over laws put in place to protect everyone around the world..

and justification...yes, i think it was justified. not moral, or right, but definately justified.
    It's the state of Arizona that may charge him as an adult and if you read the article it states the police are investigating possible abuse.
    but why aren't they looking after him until they can actually find evidence to prove that he wasn't abused and just picked up a gun and killed them. and in that case he is likely to be mentally ill, which means he still need to be looked after.

ffs, he's a kid, childhood is one of the most precious times in your life, and the state are treating him like an adult, which is unfair.

but will they charge him or sentence him before they've finished the investigation? i wouldn't put it past them.
    Because they havn't automatically assumed he is mentally ill or a victim of abuse just like they don't with anyone else suspected of murder. The kid could be a murderous prodigy for all we know.
    most murderous prodigies are mentally ill!

its completly different. he's 8 years old ffs! he shouldn't be treated like an adult!

but will they charge him or sentence him before they've finished the investigation? i wouldn't put it past them.

he can be charged before the investigation is completed, but he wont be tried, not as long as his defense attorney is smart enough to know that mental illness is a good defense.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Because they havn't automatically assumed he is mentally ill or a victim of abuse just like they don't with anyone else suspected of murder. The kid could be a murderous prodigy for all we know.
    However it is beyond all assumption whether the person in question is an adult or a kid. It is a kid. And as such he must never be tried as an adult, or charged with such offences as murder- or indeed any offences at all, at the grand old age of 8.

If a four-year old toddler slaps me in the face, can I have him arrested and tried for assault? And if not, why?
    I iddnt say he should be tried as an adult iwas replying to this
    but why aren't they looking after him until they can actually find evidence to prove that he wasn't abused and just picked up a gun and killed them. and in that case he is likely to be mentally ill, which means he still need to be looked after.
    Fair enough, my bad.