Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Currently Repairing

I am currently repairing a laptop but I'm not reinstalling xp.

Problem is whoever used this laptop before the current owner has tweaked xp displays etc.

The down side with this is that down beside the clock where it is supposed to show the current running programs is now working (not displaying). There is also some other badly tweaked features and I don't like it one bit and niether does the owner.

Is there a way to restore all of these setting back to default as it is really badly tweaked tbh.

P.S I've already tried to get the running programs to display down beside the clock by using the taskbar properties but it just stays the way it is.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like this one could be fun... I'll try another idea (which you may or may not) have tried.

Right mouse click over the toolbar

Left click Properties

Very bottom there is a tick box called 'Hide Inactive Icons', is this ticked?

If so click the Customise button and see if anything has any weird options set in there ?
    Oh yes I've done this and it's now working but I still want to know if it's possible to reset to standard windows format as other stuff has been customised, icons, the toolbarsd across the top of everything, the start menu, plus lots more...

It's a rather annoying set-up and if it was mine I'd just reinstall xp
    Haha, if it's 'screwed' reformatting may just be the least stressful way of doing things :)

Is this a 'theme' that has been set up? or is this some sort of 'editor' program that has been used?

Are you able to post say, a screenshot of what 'mods' have been made? - you know, take a screenshot of the the start menu and a few other examples, maybe someone might recognise it if it's a editor program?

Check Add/Remove as well for anything to do with themes or suchlike?

By the sounds of things, you sound like you know enough to of done all this anyway.

Only steps after this would be using sfc or system restore or something, but without knowing what type of 'mod' i'm up against i'm probably flying blind :(