Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Breaking news

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mumbai....what on earth is happening.

This attack is not good but then terroist attacks are not good.

Innocent people killed loads injured.....

Anyone else watching what is happening or listening on the radio?

The news channels are saying that this attack could change the global war on terroist attacks.

what are your thoughts this morning?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have visited India and the people are lovely. Its so sad that they have been dragged into this quagmire of Islamist violence.
    aparently 2 lectures from the buisness school of my uni have been shot dead.
    Teagan wrote: »
    I have visited India and the people are lovely. Its so sad that they have been dragged into this quagmire of Islamist violence.

Apparently Hindus have been involved too.

I see the BBC have pointed the finger to Al-Qaeda yet again. :rolleyes:

Terrible terrible news, condolensces to the families and what not!
    Yerascrote wrote: »

It does rather fit the AQ MO really, they were apparently hunting down both US and UK people to take as hostages, which is similar to what happened in Morroco when there were bombings there.

Saying any bombing or other terrorist attack is AQ is missing the point really anyway, there isnt any sort of direct leadership, and hasnt been for a long while, even September the 11th was a pretty hands off attack as far as the big whigs in AQ were concerned. The bombings of the USS Cole and the embassies in Africa were the last time that the 'leadership' (for want of a better term) of AQ actually directed an attack.

But that's never where Bin Laden wanted to take the movement, he wanted to inspire other groups and to globalise the Islamist movement, which he has done very effectively.
    Not sure why it will change the global war. If you think that militant islamists are the goodies you'll still think that, if you think they have to be stopped you'll still think the same.

Its a change in tactics (possibly by a small group which'll have shot its bolt) and frankly in casulaties suffered vs casaulties inflicted is likely to be less effective than the previous suicide bombings in Bombay.
    Sadly I fear the true scale of the massacre is a lot bigger than the 100-odd reported now, and that it will be revealed when police have secured all the sites and inspect the premises in full.

I really hope I'm wrong on that but this could easly turn into several hundred murders.
    Yerascrote wrote: »

I thought that the Deccan Islamist group had claimed responsibility? Not sure how any Hindus, on this occasion, would have been involved with this myself.
    Teagan wrote: »
    I thought that the Deccan Islamist group had claimed responsibility? Not sure how any Hindus, on this occasion, would have been involved with this myself.

Not quite, it was according to the BBC;

"Deccan Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the attacks but little is known of it.

The men were of South Asian appearance and reportedly spoke Hindi, indicating they originated in India."

I dont think there are any reports as such which suggest that they were Hindu, although there have been attacks in the past by Hindu Nationalists.
    The whole thing is so fucking scary. I vaguely know two people who are trapped (!) inside the oberoi (trident) right now, and I know two other people who were trapped in the Taj but were able to get out. I don't know what's going on, but the nature of this attack seems very nonsensical. Apparently, the idea was to attack Mumbai's economy, but why not just let recession run it's course? And why attack tourist spots rather than Mumbai itself?

This is horrible. One of my best friends' house is right next to the Taj, and when I called him up I could hear gunshots in the background. o_0
    Just received news that someone I know was killed in the Taj. Also, it doesn't look good for the two people in the oberoi--they are white, and though they're french passport holders, I don't know that the terrorists will care.

Now all I can hope for is that this doesn't spark riots.
    budda wrote: »
    The men were of South Asian appearance and reportedly spoke Hindi, indicating they originated in India."

Well, India has over 100 million Muslims so they could well look 'Indian' and speak Hindi. I agree that this doesn't sound like any Hindu terrorist organisation's involvement. I can't see why they would target US and British passport holders in particular. When they commit atrocities, its usually across religious grounds i.e. against Muslims and Christians, whom they feel are corrupting the original Hindu culture and beliefs.
    Just received news that someone I know was killed in the Taj.

I'm sorry to hear it. :(
    sorry hyacinth my thoughts are with you at this sad time.

As I read earlier from various sources on the net that the group that owned up to be responsible could be linked to hinduists to as well as islamists. Either way it aint what this world wants.
    Now 125 people have been killed and I suspect that the number will rise along with the number that are injured.
    I will be with anyone who knows people in Mumbai and my thoughts and prayers go to them and hope there will be an end to all of this?

Cnn have just report that almost 4,000 people have been killed since 2004 in India. When will peace be settled to stop any attacks on innocent people?
    becks27 wrote: »
    Cnn have just report that almost 4,000 people have been killed since 2004 in India. When will peace be settled to stop any attacks on innocent people?

Humans have been killing each other for fairly pointless reasons for at least the last 6000 years or so, its pretty likely we will keep doing it.
    well I would like to think otherwise budda. There must be some way that we can try to like each other rather than kill. You are right that killings have been going on for centuries but I would like an end to it all. The world would be a so much better place to be to live in peace rather than fear?
    budda wrote: »
    Humans have been killing each other for fairly pointless reasons for at least the last 6000 years or so, its pretty likely we will keep doing it.

Much longer than that, Cro Magnon wiped out the Neandrathals 35,000 years ago.

As long as resources are limited and the nation state remains then there'll always be a war somewhere. Peace is an illusion.
    I would not be surprised to see the attacks being linked to Pakistan in some way. That would be a convenient excuse to justify military action within Pakistan's borders.
    I would not be surprised to see the attacks being linked to Pakistan in some way. That would be a convenient excuse to justify military action within Pakistan's borders.
    Given the two nations' mutual dislike and their arsenal of atomic weapons, that could turn out to be a catastrophic development.

A news channel was reporting that one of the gunmen holed up at the Jewish Centre had said he would release hostages in exchange for talks with the Indian government about the Kashmir province. If true, the link to Pakistan is all but confirmed.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Given the two nations' mutual dislike and their arsenal of atomic weapons, that could turn out to be a catastrophic development.

A news channel was reporting that one of the gunmen holed up at the Jewish Centre had said he would release hostages in exchange for talks with the Indian government about the Kashmir province. If true, the link to Pakistan is all but confirmed.

But there's a difference between him being a Pakistani nationalist and it being a Pakistani operation or being backed by them.
    But there's a difference between him being a Pakistani nationalist and it being a Pakistani operation or being backed by them.
    Yes, you're right about that of course.

I fear if the Indians feel like a spot of revenge and believe their neighbours are behind the attacks (simply out of dislike and mistrust towards them)they won't even feel the need to prove official Pakistani involvement. All they have to do is to blame the Pakistani government of 'backing', 'supporting' ,or even plain 'harbouring' of such extremists to justfity any miltary action.

As it happens I don't think it would go that far. Not a full attack on Pakistani territory or troops. However I wouldn't be surprise to see operations in Kashmir masquerading as anti-terrorist operations.
    I was there the day before it happened :nervous:
    I chose to fly to goa the day before - veery veery good timing as it turned out.
    2 of the places that were targeted are places that I was in 24 hours previous to the attacks - and i hope to god that none of the people i met whilst in the city were involved or hurt :( its quite worrying

All the indian locals ive spoken about it since dont seem at all concerned though, which i find strange! Maybe because it doesnt directly involve them, i dont know.

I hope its all resolved soon anyway! Not least because I know people there.. and im going to have to travel through the city on my way back up to delhi later next month :no:
    soraliah wrote: »
    All the indian locals ive spoken about it since dont seem at all concerned though, which i find strange! Maybe because it doesnt directly involve them, i dont know.

Thank god you're ok!

But that's really weird that people don't seem concerned--everyone I know is basically frantic about this whole thing, even outside of bombay. Are these people in goa?
    maybe ive been talking to the wrong people!! I do mean people in goa tho, yes! They just seem a bit disconnected from it!
    Or at least, the people that ive mentioned it to have just shrugged off the subject and thats been it.
    The 2 people ive spoken who are in mumbai are understandably more concerned
    And ive just realised - youre in mumbai too yeah?!! Ive not read all the posts in this thread so if youve posted already then im sorry, but if you are then im glad youre ok too :yes: