Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Which high street shops do you miss?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I miss Our Price, it always had a slightly geekier music clientel than HMV :D

With Woolworths on the way out, which high street shops that have gone bust over the years do you miss?

:chin:

Comments

• Options
    its not been gone that long but music zone! it was so cheap..
  • Options
    There was that one called MCV or MVC or something like that. A music/dvd shop. If you had a loyalty card for there all the stuff was a coupla quid cheaper. It was sweet as.
  • Options
    I miss MVC as well, though when it started you had to join to buy anything - they had some kind of deal to reduce the prices based on it being a membership place? They then just turned it into the loyalty

Good world cinema/cult movie section - Got Heimat 1, 2 and 3 on DVD for £30 when they closed down - great bargain
  • Options
    Not gone out of business but I like cash converters. Theres hardly any where I live now.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I miss MVC as well, though when it started you had to join to buy anything - they had some kind of deal to reduce the prices based on it being a membership place? They then just turned it into the loyalty

Good world cinema/cult movie section - Got Heimat 1, 2 and 3 on DVD for £30 when they closed down - great bargain
    :yes: I got loads of world movies there when I was doing my A Levels.
  • Options
    Not gone out of business but I like cash converters. Theres hardly any where I live now.

There's loads round here lol
  • Options
    its not been gone that long but music zone!

me too :(
  • Options
    Music Zone and MVC (I had the loyalty card too). Can't think of anywhere else.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Virgin Megastore, Zavvi isn't the same :( Index as well!
  • Options
    What is a high street exactly? Internet is telling me just an area with a bunch of shops? It sounds fancy, like where you'd find all the rich people stores ;)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    A High street is the main row of shops in a town - looks like this.

Cardigan_high_street.jpeg

The term 'high street' will also cover all stores in shopping areas in city centres.
  • Options
    C&A :crying:
  • Options
    Tandys and Radio Shack.
  • Options
    Etams. You can still find them on the continent but they did do some nice stuff.
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    C&A :crying:

:yes: awesome clothes
  • Options
    They still have C and A in Poland :)

I miss Andy Cash records...Tammy Girl...Bankrupt Jeans...Tower Records.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    There was that one called MCV or MVC or something like that. A music/dvd shop. If you had a loyalty card for there all the stuff was a coupla quid cheaper. It was sweet as.

Cheaper?! Whenever i went in there it was extortionate, i longed for that place to go bust, i think i went in 3 times and found myself walkin up and down the aisle, talking aloud at how expensive it was and how much cheaper specific CDs were in HMV or Virgin a few shops down etc...

Wahey Bye Bye MVC :wave:
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Cheaper?! Whenever i went in there it was extortionate, i longed for that place to go bust, i think i went in 3 times and found myself walkin up and down the aisle, talking aloud at how expensive it was and how much cheaper specific CDs were in HMV or Virgin a few shops down etc...

Wahey Bye Bye MVC :wave:

Really? That's random. I never ever found that. Maybe I only went cause the anime/world movies section was quality and I had a loyalty thingy. I only ever used it for films cause back in the day I was an avid user of whatever equivalent of Limewire everyone was using.
  • Options
    Own up here who used to shop at littlewoods? I remember going in to the cafe first and then just browsing to buy my mum an awful present. Do I miss them well they did have terrible fashion sense. So no.
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    Own up here who used to shop at littlewoods? I remember going in to the cafe first and then just browsing to buy my mum an awful present. Do I miss them well they did have terrible fashion sense. So no.

Brian Mills was a great bi-annual catalogue back in the mid-90s before they got taken over by Littlewoods. Does anyone remember that catalogue? There was Kayes as well.

But yeah, Littlewoods ≠ Clothes!
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

Bastard. I've been wanting Heimat for ages. You can't get them for less than about £80 each atm.

Another vote for Music Zone. We had Andy Records which was a rip off. Then Music Zone came and I was in there all the time buying stuff. I used to like John Menzies too, but it just got took over by WH Smith, so it wasn't that different.
  • Options
    Music zone was cool.

MVC was good depending on what you liked, some things were mint price, some things were not.
  • Options
    MVC. And a local one where you could trade in CDs and videos.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    They still have C and A in Poland :)

I miss Andy Cash records...Tammy Girl...Bankrupt Jeans...Tower Records.
    BHS on Oxford St still has Tammy Girl. Unfortunately Oxford Street is in fact Hell with a veneer of grey paint so it's probably not worth it.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    BHS on Oxford St still has Tammy Girl. Unfortunately Oxford Street is in fact Hell with a veneer of grey paint so it's probably not worth it.

I think Tammy is still lingering around most branches of BHS. It's not the same though. Very 'kiddy' now, even in the teenager sizes. Bad times. :(
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    new looks kids section is ok - still, even for a age 13 the sizes are still pretty huge/downright stupid, I struggle to get the leg length in the kids section though!

I dont remember you being that short?
  • Options
    Aww, C&A was great. I was just talking about it the other day. It closed around the time I stopped being a teenager, so I think I must have been single-handedly keeping it open during my teen years...
  • Options
    The kids section in H & M is pretty brilliant. There are so many massive kids these days that I can fit into some of the clothes. But I can't wear the jeans because I have hips, godammit!!
    Always good though cause there ain't no tax on those clothes!
  • Options
    I was going to say Etam and C&A but remembering some of the terrible stuff I bought there (patterned waistcoat and ankle length "crinkle" skirt to name a couple :blush:) perhaps it's a good thing they're no more. I did find an Etam in Normandy this summer, but the clothes were nasty.
    I used to like Our Price for music, I think I bought my very first CD at an Our Price :D Also used to like Dolcis for shoes...used to shop at Pilot too quite a bit when I was younger as well...and the Gadget Shop's gone bust too apparently, I used to love going in there to play about with the ridiculously pointless but fun things :(
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    ...used to shop at Pilot too quite a bit when I was younger as well...

Aww, Pilot, that was good! I think their sizes were labelled quite small, so it made me feel a bit better when I had a bit of puppy fat as a teen :)