Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Pre-Budget report

This was billed as the most important day in politics for many years. It was said that what the Chancellor said today would affect us for years to come. And it looks like it will. Yep, it's pre-Budget report day. According to the Beeb; "Chancellor Alistair Darling has cut VAT but taken UK borrowing to record levels as he battles to save the country from a deep and long-lasting recession. Top earners also face more tax and all National Insurance contributions will rise, he said in his pre-Budget report. Alcohol, tobacco and petrol duty rises to offset the 17.5% to 15% VAT cut. Mr Darling said 'exceptional measures' were needed with the economy set to shrink next year - but the Tories said he had 'mortgaged' Britain's future."

LINKS: Story > Key Points > Tory reaction > LibDem reaction.

Before anyone goes "oh, but you've got it in for this government, you never give them a fair hearing, blah blah blah", let me state my position. I agree with New Labour that people need to be helped out at a difficult time like this. I've been looking into the way that Thatcher dealt with the recession in the 1980s, and I think that the methods she used to get Britain out of it were brutal in the extreme. Whilst it was true that radical action was needed back then to modernise the country, the medicine she administered was truly awful. Many people in the modern day Labour Party will remember this - Gordon Brown certainly does, for he vociferously spoke out against it at the time. So there's much to be said for Labour wanting to help people out.

For me, there's just two problems. One, cutting VAT isn't going to have as much effect as they'd like. Most of the items that we buy every day, such as food, are already charged at 0% VAT. How many people go and buy a new plasma television every single day? And are a couple of extra pennies in our wallets seriously going to entice us to spend? I can't see it making that much of a difference. Two, the eye-watering levels of debt that are being taken on. I agree that these are unprecedented times in our world - we face the biggest economic crisis since 1945 - but £1trillon is a gigantic amount of money by anyone's estimation. How the hell are we gonna pay all that off? To say the least, I have massive reservations about this.

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually agree with the LibDems on this one. The one thing that would have really made a difference would have been massive cuts in income tax. Put more money in people's wallets and let them decide how to spend it.

Over to you, ladies and gentlemen.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dont think the vat cut will do much at all if anything...as we know there are some 0% rated items like food that we do not have to pay. True ...I dont even have plasma. It is a big hole that has been dug and believe me labour will make us pay more tax ....I dont even know anyone who earns £150,000 pounds a year ...is there lots who earn that much. It will be us tax payers who will have to pay I reckon more than ever. Why should the banks get handouts to relieve them....besides thats taxpayers money to that is lent to the banks to get them out of debt. I blame the banks for their mistakes and we should not have to pay for their mistakes.
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    Why should the banks get handouts to relieve them....besides thats taxpayers money to that is lent to the banks to get them out of debt. I blame the banks for their mistakes and we should not have to pay for their mistakes.
    Because otherwise our banks will go out of business and our economy will collapse. We have no choice but to bail them out. However, the banks should actually show some fucking gratitude for it - start lending sensibly again.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I don't reckon many retailers will be passing on the 2.5% on to the customers in honesty!
  • Options
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    I dont even know anyone who earns £150,000 pounds a year ...is there lots who earn that much.

I know 3 or 4 people that earn that sort of money and they are going to be hit a lot with this,
  • Options
    The (very temporary, a year in tax laws really isnt a lot) VAT cut will do bugger all, the big business will have to be seen to be passing the svaings on but the little independent traders sure as hell wont! The amount of debt Labour will put the country in is horrendous and the only way to pay for it - higher taxes and cuts in spending! The rise in income tax and especially NI, seeing as you and your employer have to contibute, will cost a lot of people and businesses a lot of money.
  • Options
    well i'm glad gordy can find $90 million in his annual budget for more taser guns at least. little bit of insight into what he thinks is coming eh, time to get me one of these...

http://www.bustedtees.com/donttasemebro