Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ear infections...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i got one in my left ear within 3 weeks of starting uni, and i put it down to using foam ear plugs lots. i've got it in the other ear now, and my lymphnodes under my ear are really sore and swollen. normally i'd be using some mullien oil and making sure that i had at least a couple of hours a day in complete silence. But i haven't been able to find any mullien oil as there are no good health food shops round here, and i can't get hold of any homopathic stuff either...

any other ideas that don't involve me quirting chemicals into my ears? I really need to sort it soon, as i've got to do a final mix in 2 weeks, and i'm flying a week after that, and its going to be horrendously painful! and i haven't got a build up of wax...

Comments

• Options
    go to the doctors and get some antibiotics.

Sounds like your last one didnt clear up properly and thats why youve got another so quickly.

Sometimes antibiotics are necessary. As long as you dont over-use them.
  • Options
    ^^^^What she said :D
  • Options
    I don't understand why you wouldn't get antibiotics if you have a really bad ear infection?

Avoid getting water in your ears, don't put anything down them (like cotton buds) and other than that I don't really know how you can avoid future attacks.
  • Options
    because i get the worst case of thrush, and itch until i bleed and it will take me over a month to get over it...

thats why i don't like antibiotics...i have a very delicate balance of internal flora and forna
  • Options
    From ear drops? Depending on the kind of infection antibiotic ear drops will often clear it up, and getting any other effects from those would be pretty rare.
  • Options
    because i get the worst case of thrush, and itch until i bleed and it will take me over a month to get over it...

thats why i don't like antibiotics...i have a very delicate balance of internal flora and forna

I do too. Its really common. If you ask your doctor to prescribe a canestan pessary or internal cream at the same time they usually will.
    My doctor always does
  • Options
    I picked up an ear infection a couple of weeks ago. My right ear was blocked and I couldnt hear out of it. I tryed ear drops an they seemed to make it worse so I went to my doctors. He first of all tryed me on 5 days of antibiotics,But they didnt seem to help at all. In the end he gave me nose drops and it turned out due to a cold my nose had blocked up an was causing the loss of hearing.
    Im just relieved to be able to hear again.
  • Options
    didnt your doctor even check to see whether it was your ear that was blocked?

I had earache last week and went to the walk in centre and it wasnt an ear infection as my ears were clear. It was just congestion and she told me to take ibuprofen and a decongestant
  • Options
    i'll see if i can get some ear drops, but i'm not taking bloody antibiotics in tablet form, canestan only gets rid of the itch for me, even with the pessary, i have to be given anti fungal tablets :(
  • Options
    didnt your doctor even check to see whether it was your ear that was blocked?

Yes,he origionaly thought it was because there was abit of earwax/ears drop residue around the eardrum.But after a week of no change he decided the blockage was deeper in the ear. And as I mentioned I had,had a bit of a cold decided nose drops the next course of action.
  • Options
    I see why you'd want to avoid the thrush; that must be really horrible.
    But if you leave an ear infection it can lead to some really horrible stuff. Hope you get sorted out.
  • Options
    aparently there nothing wrong with me...

possibly blocked eustatchian tubes, so i'll give them a massage letter. but otherwise nothing
  • Options
    Try lots of steaming hot drinks and hot showers. Good bit of steam often helps with that kind of thing.