Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dressmaking sizes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've bought a pattern for this dress:
6726.jpg

I'm a size 8-10 (somewhere in the middle). but I'm a bit confused with the dress sizings! (sizes in inches)

My measurements are: bust 33, waist 26.5 hips 34.5

The size 8 measurements are: bust 31.3, waist 24, hips 33.5 so I can safely say that will be too small!

The size 10 measurements are: bust 32.5, waist 25, hips 34.5, so that's too small on the bust and the waist! I don't think I need a size 12, the waist of a 12 is 26.5 but the hips would be 2in too big

Why isn't there enough difference between my waist and my hips! I thought I had quite an hourglassy figure! :( It's a new pattern so the sizes should be about right.

Shall I cut the size 12 and adjust it to fit once I've tacked it together? Or just go for the size 10 knowing I'm usually a small size 10, if not an 8? I'm not an experienced dressmaker argh

Help!

Comments

• Options
    I'm not an experianced dress maker by any stretch of the imagination but If it was me I would probably make it on the bigger size. It's easier to take away than it is too add! So once it's cut and tacked you can take away any extra inches then :)
  • Options
    Yeah I guess, I'm a bit worried it'll end up waaaay to big and then be difficult to size back down. I also have to buy more material for the bigger size :grump:
  • Options
    could you not just make it roughly first using a really cheap material, we used to use one at school I'll try and remember what it's called. Then you will roughly know how it will fit and look.
  • Options
    Hm I guess I could I didn't think of that!
  • Options
    Is it calico you're thinking of? I've never made clothes in my life but for some reason that name sticks in my head...
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Is it calico you're thinking of? I've never made clothes in my life but for some reason that name sticks in my head...

Oohh that does sound familiar :chin: It could be..it was just a rough cheap material we did practice attempts on.
  • Options
    In my experience, the sizes printed on the back of patterns tend to bear almost no resemblance to the finished size, as they add a ridiculous amount of wearing ease, so unless you're going for the MC Hammer look, my suggestion is to look on the actual pattern pieces to see if they give you finished garment meaurements (most do). These are usually much more accurate.

DON'T pay any attention to what size you normally are in shops, cause the two sizing systems also bear no resemblance to each other. Go on measurements on the pattern, ideally the finished ones I was on about.

Also, make sure you're measuring the right parts of yourself. I know that sounds stupid, but for dressmaking purposes, they're quite specific. Your waist measurement needs to be the smallest possible part of yourself - this can be above or below your belly button. And the hips goes around the widest part - usually more ass/crotch height than actual hips.

All that said, it's a sad fact that sewing from commercial patterns means that 99% of the time, you'll have to alter the pattern to fit your specific body shape (e.g. they are always too long in the body for me).

The suggestion of making it with something cheap first is a great idea. Sheets and duvet covers from charity shops are ace for this. Much cheaper than calico (which is normally about £2 a metre!).
  • Options
    Cute dress!
    But yeah, either do a super quick cheapo sheet dress (always good for a ghost costume or toga party?) or adjust your dress as you go along - you're making it yourself so you can make your own sizes, surely? I don't know, I can't make things :(
  • Options
    Oh I didn't realise there was measurements on the actual pieces I'll have a look

I was measuring the right parts, smallest bit of waist, biggest bit of hips etc, I measured about 20 times haha

I'll probably cut out a size 12 and tack it together and then modify it. It's not a very complicated dress so hopefully it will be ok...

I really should get a cheap sheet and do a prototype dress but I can't see that happening as I am way to impulsive and I want to start the dress tonight!! I imagine I will regret this...
  • Options
    charity shop bed sheet.
  • Options
    Fully agree with olive. I got a pattern for an evening gown and had it made in the size 10 measurements just to be on the safe side. By the time it was done it looked like a size 14 on me. So did all the alterations to make it fit and it completely altered the size and style of the dress. Was an absolute balls up if i'm quite honest :D But then the lady doing it didn't seem to know too much about pattern work so it was the blind leading the blind.