Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Trafficked/Pimped Prostitutes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The government has plans to give men a criminal record for having sex with an illegal sex worker. Of course presumably the men themselves are supposed to have a psychic knowledge of the history of any prostitute, whether she's been trafficked, and whether she has been pimped.

Story
It will become illegal to use prostitutes who have been trafficked into the country or who work for pimps or drug traffickers. Ignorance of the new law, or of a woman's circumstances, will be no defence.

No suggestion of liberalising the law for prostitutes that aren't trafficked and abused, to allow men to have a better knowledge that they aren't exploiting anyone, of course. Or any talk of what will happen when such brothels are forced further underground, putting such women in even more danger.

Of course, a cynical person might suggest that it's a pathetic effort to look tough after this.
The Metropolitan Police's Human Trafficking Team will cease work next year because its budget has been withdrawn following the decision by the Home Office to cut its yearly funding for human trafficking investigations from £4m to £1.7m.

Politicians and trafficking experts expressed anger at the Home Office's decision, saying it will leave a "gaping hole" in the policing of the crime. Privately, the police themselves are said to be furious about the decision.

Comments

• Options
    "Hey Baby, I know we only have 15 minutes and i view you as nothing but a cumdumpster but please tell me the events of your life leading up to this moment"

I guess its a problem of the UK's proud multicultural society that having a funny accent does not indicate the woman may be from another country :p
  • Options
    Fundamentally I don't see an issue with changing the law to make it a crime to punish people who are taking part in the slave trade.

To not back it up with greater liberalisation and support for women who choose to take part in the sex industry freely is a real problem though.
  • Options
  • Options
    Could a woman who said that she wasnt working for a pimp, but was be done for entrapment?
  • Options
    If they're taking most of the budget away from the Human Trafficking team then who is going to be arresting these men anyway?
  • Options
  • Options
    Seems a good idea to me.

That said I suspect the cynic would be wrong in linking it to cuts in police funding, which I suspect has more to do with the recession and questions about bang for the buck
  • Options
    That's almost as bizarre a crime as the suggestion I read the other day that there should be a crime of incitement to rape.

Any woman who felt the need to lie and say that she wasn't working for a pimp probably has very good reason to fear them.

I wasnt in any way suggesting that they wouldnt have a good reason to lie, they would. It was purely to raise a point in law.
  • Options
    It's a good idea though, ultimately men who have sex with women who are being held against their will are little better than rapists. If it encourages them to be a bit more discerning about where they put it and with whom why is that a bad thing?
  • Options
    So, it will soon be "illegal to use prostitutes who have been trafficked into the country or who work for pimps or drug traffickers. Ignorance of the new law, or of a woman's circumstances will be no defence". Who's the mad hatter who's proposing this new law? Ah yes, it's Home Secretary Jacqui Smith - the same woman who thinks that the nation can hardly wait to see ID cards introduced! Home Office staff have clearly been putting something very odd in this woman's coffee again. Well, what else would explain this nonsense?

Why can't this government show real conviction and put forward the one solution which would actually work? Legalise prostitution in the United Kingdom. These smug bastards in New Labour seem to think that they can change thousands of years of history - to them, life only began in 1997, and anything that happened before then was because of the "last Tory government". They just don't get it, do they? Make it legal for a man to pay for a woman for sex, and vice versa. Get rid of all these stupid, paradoxical laws that we currently have about sex.

Heck, if New Labour aren't convinced by this, here's a suggestion. Legalise it and create some sort of regulatory body (you can think of a name for it yourselves!) to enforce the law. Issue licences to brothels so they can trade legally. If any illegal drugs are taken on the premises, they lose their licence immediately. If minors are found using their "services", they lose their licence immediately.

Why The Stargalaxy Plan on this is a fucking brilliant idea:
    - Male and female "sex staff" are protected from exploitation - for there is no reason why we couldn't have brothels where women pay men for sex.
    - Prostitutes can undergo regular sexual health checks, helps protect themselves and their clients.
    - Prostitutes can join trade unions in order to campaign for better working rights and conditions.
    - They'll be bringing in much-needed tax revenue into the Treasury, you can tax their "wages".
    - The pimps and drug barons are forced out of business.

Not only that, but Labour can boast that, in these difficult economic times, it is helping to create new jobs. So why won't they do it?
  • Options
    Legal brothels would help, but precribing heroin would probably do more to help stop a lot of the street walking type prostitutes.