Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Forgotten Landline Number

My friend has forgotten her landline number and doesn't want to go back to BT, she's looking another provider but in not knowing her landline number because it's been off for so long, how will she find it?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi lucid-life,

All I know is that BT still have the landline monoply ie Bt landline but the service provider is provided by say Sky, Virgin, etc. So check that she has BT landline...the landline will if she has it be with BT but she could pay for another service provider. Does she not have the number at all anywhere?
    The number is nowhere to be found and as BT have the monoply and who charge a whopping £125 to have it re-activated she is wanting to go with a different provider but very hard when not knowing the number.
    Unless you go with cable in a cabled area you'd need the BT line which means having it reconnected.
    As for the forgotten number, your friend must know another friend or a relative who will know that number, or at least have it on fast dial memory :-)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Doesn't it appear on any caller IDs?
    She might be assigned a new number anyway.
    Not useful in this instance, but if the line was still connected, you could find the number out by dialling 17070, which takes you through to the engineer test menu.
    You been searching google, came across that trick myself but as you said, in this isntance it's worth nout.

Bah, she'll just have to phone BT and see what the say. To the poster who said she'd have to have it re-connected... I think we already know that but also know we don't have to pay BT a stupid £125
    Nah, knew of it donkeys years ago, probably since 1993 or so. A mis-spent youth with "phreaking" boxes and the Jolly Roger Cookbook, amongst other equal undesirables :).
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    You been searching google, came across that trick myself but as you said, in this isntance it's worth nout.

Bah, she'll just have to phone BT and see what the say. To the poster who said she'd have to have it re-connected... I think we already know that but also know we don't have to pay BT a stupid £125
    Could be worse than £125, Bt wanted over £2500 for me to get a phone line
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Could be worse than £125, Bt wanted over £2500 for me to get a phone line

As long as you already have a telephone point they won't charge anymore than £125.
    Yes they will if they have to lay miles of cable.
    Why would they have to lay miles of cable if you already had a telephone socket?
    Im guessing the cost hellfire was quoted was to do with living in a remote area where they would need to cable something.?