Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Blood Pressure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, according to my oh so lovely GP I have high blood pressure.

Interestingly, it is always higher the second time they measure it, and the stupidly high reading she got was when she was running nearly an hour late, the lowest reading they've taken was when I was running slightly late and walked (briskly) straight in and saw the nurse who measured it pretty much straight after I sat down.

Now, it's been suggested that I might not actually have high blood pressure and it could just be that my body is responding to my fear of doctors etc, especially as my 'resting' pulse rate on their premises is about 12 higher than my resting heart rate at home. I have a home monitor, and I'm wondering how often you should measure, the only thing the packet says is at the same time of day so the readings are comparable. I'd ask the GP, but she didn't seem to like the idea of me measuring it at home, or getting it measured anywhere else. Obviously next time I'm there I'll mention it but not expecting a useful response.

Last time it was measured by the doctor was 149/108, the readings I've just done now are more like 124/74.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This may be stating the bleeding obvious, but surely the home monitor came with a set of instructions...?
    Yeah, tells you how to use it wonderfully, just not how often you should measure it to get a reasonable result.

I'm wondering whether each day, twice a day, once a week, what kind of monitoring and over what time period would give a reasonable impression?
    Well if you did it once a day for say a week at around the same time wouldn't do any harm!

After that maybe once a week.
    What did your GP say about your BP? Is she going to review it or did she put it down to a case of the white-coat?

I don't see the harm in measuring it once a day maybe for a week or two, then once every 2 days if they're consistent? Blood pressure monitors can be inaccurate, but given that it's the same machine/same time, at least you've got some consistency.
    She nagged lots about losing weight and doing more exercise, evidently doesn't actually listen to a word I say and doesn't believe I do any exercise.

She also didn't seem willing to entertain the idea that the height maybe even slightly white coat linked. She'd decided it was high becuase I was overweight and did no exercise (when I do) and that was pretty much it. When she mentioned there was one reading that was much lower than the rest and I pointed out that it was the one they did pretty much as I walked thruogh the door she just said it was probably wrong.

You can kind of see why some home readings seemed like they might be a good idea to me.
    Whenever I get my BP done at the Dr's it's always high I think the highest was something like 152/90 but when I've done it myself or had someone on placement do it it has been a lot lower.

If you want to keep an eye on your bp yourself then it's not going to hurt, just don't become obsessed with it and become fanatical about taking it!

Write down the results you get so you can show your Dr when you go back.
    No risk of me becoming obsessed, I hate measuring it, even doing it myself but I could do with knowing whether it's actually worryingly high or if it's just at the doctors.

Thanks for the help all.
    I would do it in the morning as soon as you get up, then you have no stress, no physical strain or any other factors to take into consideration.
    i have freaked my doctor after my blood pressure has been both through the roof and floor on various occations due to me being in a hurry, panicy etc...

my pulse rate in hospitals is always above 90 resting, before i do ju jitsu its 72...
    Aye, my auntie was treated for high blood pressure for years with no apparent improvement before they did a 24h BP test and discovered that she actually just really hated her doctor and it'd been fine all along.

Have you considered changing GPs? I know they all have to tell you stuff you don't want to hear, but I think it's pretty important to find one you trust, maybe even like! Makes it all a lot easier.
    She nagged lots about losing weight and doing more exercise, evidently doesn't actually listen to a word I say and doesn't believe I do any exercise.

She also didn't seem willing to entertain the idea that the height maybe even slightly white coat linked. She'd decided it was high becuase I was overweight and did no exercise (when I do) and that was pretty much it. When she mentioned there was one reading that was much lower than the rest and I pointed out that it was the one they did pretty much as I walked thruogh the door she just said it was probably wrong.

You can kind of see why some home readings seemed like they might be a good idea to me.

You have my complete sympathy, my GP is exactly the same. I have high cholesterol and she won't believe that I'm vegetarian and eat a lot of soy, let alone that I exercise!

I've been dreading seeing her since the bulimic cycles started again, I'm worried it'll make things worse.
    I did think about changing, but in other ways she's very good so going to stick with her for the time being.

Saw one of the nurses this afternoon as the asthma nurse, who hardly recognised me from when she did my dressings when I was ill because I'd lost a lot of weight, so definitely heading the right direction and she was impressed. Blood pressure she did (because my notes apparently say to check it every time) was high end of normal. Woot.
    Can't you ask your doctor to wait and take another test at the end of your appointment? I know that my mum has done this, and it made a difference.
    It only makes it worse in my case, the longer I am on the premises the higher it gets!