Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting motivation for gym

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

Im not a hugely overweight guy. In fact im of a very small build for my age, and my self-esteem is quite low.

I am really wanting to start bulking up if you will, i know that may sound slightly immature but all my life iv been subjected to jipes about how short I am. And to be frank, iv had it:mad: I wanna show people that I can do it. and yes I do have small man sydrome;)

Thing is, I found it hard to motivate myself to go, i always give myself an excuse. I was wondering if anyone can suggest good foods that I can eat during the day that will leave me with plenty energy for the gym?

Also im thinking of taking one of these protein supplements, can anyone advise me which one is good to start on? Bearing in mind im 5" 5 and way around ten stone.

Comments

• Options
    Do you work or go to school or anything where you would be out and about? I find I just will not go to the gym unless I go directly after work, get in the car and go to the gym. don't even stop at home because I won't go once I step inside the house. I find once I'm at the gym, the working out comes easy. Probably because I'd feel stupid for wasting a trip out there.
  • Options
    Go with a friend. I exercise 3 times a week, once to the gym and two fitness classes. You can motivate each other, and you don't back out because it'll let the other one down

I don't understand people who can't motivate themselves for something they want. I want to get fitter and tone up so I get off my arse and go to the gym. It's really not that hard :confused:
  • Options
    I work nights and long shifts which really hinders my want to go to the gym but like simba said go straight from work or college its like go directly to jail dont pass go,,its the best way!
  • Options
    I started bodybuilding a little while back but got held back due to a small issue, going to start back again later this evening.

I was eating porridge in the morning and evening, was the only food I really stuck with as a necessity to my diet. The rest of the day I just made sure I was fitting in fruit, veg and 5 small meals a day.

If you want to find a suitable diet I advise going to www.muscletalk.co.uk, there are a lot of very helpful people in regards of bodybuiliding on that forum.
  • Options
    There's a sign on the door of the gym I go to that says, "Just getting here is half the battle."

So true. You can find supplements, eat right, get good sleep and all that (good) stuff, but if you want to build muscles and tone up, you got to get in the gym. Simple.
    Good luck!:thumb:
  • Options
    hey...have you ever tried some classes?
    I don't find it hard going to the gym but when i get there i just think to myself.....blergh lol so today i done a bums and tums class (probably not down your street but there are other classes available)
    i really enjoyed myself and worked off other peoples enthusiasm and found i was really working out...
    i wouldn't suggest the shakes until you have lost some weight though as you really need to work twice as hard when taking them (so i have been told)

just find something you are really into :)
    hope it helps
  • Options
    Motivation gets you started.... Habit keeps you going.
  • Options
    I find on days when I just really can't be arsed I push myself to go thinking I'll stay for 10 minutes then see if I want to go home. Normally after them 10 minutes I'm into and can stay for a proper work out. Sometimes it just is getting there.