Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Baby P

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What I watched was footage of Cameron delivering those words himself on PMQT at the House of Commons. So not much room for misquoting or manipulation, unless the rest of his intervention not shown in the newspiece somehow managed to change the meaning. Though I can't see how myself...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    What I watched was footage of Cameron delivering those words himself on PMQT at the House of Commons. So not much room for misquoting or manipulation, unless the rest of his intervention not shown in the newspiece somehow managed to change the meaning. Though I can't see how myself...

Could you show where he tried to smear the nationwide system - I've got the Hansard quotes on an earlier post, so it should be easy. Unless you think asking questions about whether its right they should investigate themselves is a smear of course...
  • Options
    Right. I have now read through those notes, and this is the only part of his statements that was shown on the newspiece I saw:

"Let us be honest: this is a story about a 17-year-old girl who had no idea how to bring up a child. It is about a boyfriend who could not read but who could beat a child, and it is about a social services department that gets £100 million a year and cannot look after children."

It is that last sentence that led me to believe, not having heard the rest of the statement or indeed the debate at large, that Cameron was referring to the nationwide system. I am now happy to admit he wasn't.
  • Options
    Frankly, this is getting disturbing in the extreme. I've just been on Facebook now and I've come across several links where Baby P, the mother and stepfather have been "named and shamed", as it were. Obivously, I realise the huge legal problems it would cause TheSite if they were named here, so I won't publish their real identities. Either way, I've just seen what the baying mob wants to do, and it was a very ugly sight indeed. I've reported the groups in question to Facebook, although I strongly suspect nothing will be done.

It makes you wonder how on earth you enforce injunctions like this in the Internet age...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Frankly, this is getting disturbing in the extreme. I've just been on Facebook now and I've come across several links where Baby P, the mother and stepfather have been "named and shamed", as it were. Obivously, I realise the huge legal problems it would cause TheSite if they were named here, so I won't publish their real identities. Either way, I've just seen what the baying mob wants to do, and it was a very ugly sight indeed. I've reported the groups in question to Facebook, although I strongly suspect nothing will be done.

It makes you wonder how on earth you enforce injunctions like this in the Internet age...

I'm guessing the comments on there arent all that different to the ones expressed in this very thread.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I'm guessing the comments on there arent all that different to the ones expressed in this very thread.

agreed
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Sadly, you are very wrong on that. What has been posted here is extremely mild-mannered and calm compared to some I've seen on those Facebook groups. One group I've come across has published the names and pictures of the mother and stepfather in question. Some of the comments are understandable enough - demands that Sharon Shoesmith is fired, that the killers rot in hell and so on. More disturbingly though, I've also noticed people making death threats.

Don't get me wrong - if harm were to come their way, I would be the first to cheer. But I think that this baying mob is a hideous sight.
  • Options
    It has to be said though that social services, at least where I'm sitting are chronically undermanned and underfunded on the ground. They've got a lot of middle/senior management telling everyone how to do their job, but not an awful lot of people actually doing any work. We have 3 social workers covering a population of several hundred thousand, not good, and something I've only now realised since I've started working with more child protection issues.
  • Options
    it's really scaring me the anger that is coming out of some of the people on the facebook group. it's obviously such an awful thing, but as one poster who started the thread 'BABY P HAS PASSED AWAY, GET ON WITH YOUR LIVES!' - it is a bit unneeded and she comes across condescendingly, but the way people are reacting to her arguments is frightening.
  • Options
    I'm almost tempted to join that group and pinpoint every single wrong thing those people have said but I know that as soon as I do, I'll get jumped on and I cba with that right now.
  • Options
    There needs to be a helluva lot of naming and shaming, firing and bans on the people in the employment who totally didn't even pick up the most obvious of signs.

But as it's been said before I don't think this wee one is going to be the first or last where something like this happens. What I do think will happen is it will give everyone in social work a kick up the arse on their home visits but it'll just give even more incentive for the cruel parents to conceal any abuse, I reckon.
  • Options
    By the sounds of the intellect and mentality of those groups, if you go in to point out flaws and the like, you'll probably get a string of, "OMG u r jst as bad as the abusars!" and possibly a small fire started outside your house.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    There needs to be a helluva lot of naming and shaming, firing and bans on the people in the employment who totally didn't even pick up the most obvious of signs.

But as it's been said before I don't think this wee one is going to be the first or last where something like this happens. What I do think will happen is it will give everyone in social work a kick up the arse on their home visits but it'll just give even more incentive for the cruel parents to conceal any abuse, I reckon.

i dont think firing people who are already working to well over capacity is gonna help much, especially since 1 in 4 social worker posts at haringey council are already vacant.

The signs are that they all wanted him removed, but red tape and beaurocracy didnt actually allow it. Social workers cant go in adn just take babys, they have to follow procedure.

The only evil cunts in this are the people that commited the abuse.
  • Options
    No one gives a fuck about the baby anymore. Everyone's so wrapped up in wanting to kill the abusers.

I hate journalism.
    This anger-mongering pisses me off.
  • Options
    I really don't agree with naming and shaming the people involed in this case. What good will it do?
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    No one gives a fuck about the baby anymore. Everyone's so wrapped up in wanting to kill the abusers.
    Can you really blame them for being angry? I felt physically sick when I read exactly what these bastards put Baby P through. I would raise a cheer if these three were used were killed inside by prisoners. Remember, prisoners view anyone who does great harm to a child as the lowest of the low.

Mind you, I certainly don't condone the vigilante groups on the Internet - and certainly not the ones who seem to think they're doing the world a favour by illegally posting the mother and stepfather's names and photos for everyone to see. All I know is that it must be extremely difficult being a moderator of any kind of forum or board in the UK at the moment. Don't these idiots realise that breaching a court injunction is an offence which you can be jailed for?

By the way, I wouldn't post links providing information covered by a court injunction here. This forum is based in the UK and TheSite could get into a lot of trouble as a result.
  • Options
    But there's a difference between being angry and wanting to kill the abusers.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    But there's a difference between being angry and wanting to kill the abusers.
    Of course. I don't actively want to kill the abusers, though I wouldn't be upset if they came to harm in the prison system.

What we're seeing on websites such as Facebook is mob rule. And no one should welcome it.